PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
My wife is Asian, so my vote is rice. We make it on the side.
Or one of our favorites is Greek lemon rice soup. The trick is tempering the eggs. You can use turkey instead of chicken. This is a great soup when you are under the weather.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Turkey Soup is truly an all American dish, so with either rice or pasta (noodles) you cannot go wrong.
I prefer thick egg noodles or 'pot pie' noodles to go along with nice chunks of turkey meat.

tombraider

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 21, 2013
Egg noodles are the way to go. Diced onion, carrots, celery and salt & pepper is all I put in mine.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I add lots of potatoes, carrots and celery. I add a salt to the potatoes in cold water and soak for an hour before adding to the soup. The potatoes soak up the salt and aren't so bland. Failing potatoes, noodles.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
All these recipes sound great, and I'm already salivating. Time to pick up a piece of turkey at the store, add a few ingredients, and make a first-class turkey soup. Great for recuperating from my spinal fusion, when swallowing is particularly difficult.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Turkey soup sounds great. I love crock pot cooking. I used mine this weekend to make 7 quarts of chili. We went out for a winter hike while it simmered and returned home later to a houseful of wonderful aroma.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
I'm a big fan of making noodles or rice on the side and then adding as needed to bowls of soup. Keeps them from getting too soggy

roadqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2013
Mmm, barley. It's a delicious additive to any soup. On a side note, as a very young woman I once tried to make soup in the crockpot....with egg noodles in the soup. Egg noodles do not cook well in the crockpot. :lol:
That ended up being a pizza-for-supper night.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
I've cooked roasts in my crock pot before. I put some onion soup mix, about 1 cup hot water and a 187ml bottle of red wine. Let cook on low for 8 hours. If able turn the meat every 2 hours.
When completed the meat is very soft. You can even cut it with your fork.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Pork butt with chili verde sauce is my favorite Crockpot meal. Just add the two in a greased crockpot, sprinkle with garlic salt and cook for 10 hours, turn after 5 hours if possible. Falls apart. Serve over rice.
Aren't we a domestic bunch?

Status
Not open for further replies.