PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
Sorry guys but I just need to vent a little bit about this! So recently I ordered something online (which I really never do) i prefer to buy stuff locally. But in this case the only real solution was to order it online. About a year ago I ordered some business cards off of vistaprint, about 2 days later my account was shut down by my bank due to someone in the boston or NY area trying to spend 6k dollars at a jewlery store. After closing my debit and credit cards down I had to change SOOO much information because of this and to protect myself in the future. So about 2 days ago I am online checking my bank stuff out and notice some charges off of a bunch of random websites that I would never order from! Once again I have to call my bank and the websites that these orders were from to get this straightened out. After hours of calls and running to the bank, I once again had to change all of my bank info and switch all of my accounts! I think humanity and this society is becoming so damn pathetic when it comes to this stuff. GET A JOB AND MAKE YOUR OWN MONEY, and leave the hard working decent people alone. Has anyone else had an issue with this kind of stuff? Thanks for listening guys, I feel better. haha!

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Sorry for you man. Some suggestions. Hope they help and hope it works out for you.
1) Use PayPal. You can link to your bank account and your credit cards to your PayPal account and purchase things without having to give you actual information out.
2) Are you still using the same computer this time as you used last time? I ask because there ma be a trojan on your machine that is causing the problem. With one this good you may need to reformat your entire hard drive to guaranty that it is no longer there on your computer.
3) Do you use anti-virus? AVG and Avast have web monitors that will tell you if you are using a fraudulent site or if you are using the site through a portal and prevent these sort of things.

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
Sorry to hear about your trouble. I have been very lucky so far as I order online from everywhere without giving it much thought. I do use only one specific card for online purchases. It is a card I don't care too much about and if anything ever happens I can ultimately say screw it. Better luck next time.

buzkirk

Apr 14, 2009
Humboldt Tn.
Yep 2wce this year, even corrupted my PayPal account.
Something called a bloodhound virus, even when I changed e-mail and passwords, my search indexer ran and ran till it found the info and had to change again, went thru 7 or 8 e-mail accounts and passwords up to 18 characters
So no CC at this time and had to cancel my ebay and Paypal, been a member since 05, that means I have to totaly start over with reputation.
It sucks but this is the way of the web in these days.
Tom

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
This happens every day and it sucks. It happened to me twice. Fortunately, the bank called me before the money was wired to Bulgaria. Also, I never conduct private busniness over my cell phone.

crk69

Jun 30, 2012
Yep, has happened to me twice in the past year as well.. Paypal only now, no online credit card orders.. Don't know where they got zapped, but someone in New York started a test run, luckily it got caught by my bank's anti-fraud unit.. Totally understand the frustration and headache.. I don't give my card out at restaurants anymore, I walk it up to the register and use it in front of the cashier.. I also make sure they dont run an extra copy...

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
8O I am running my virus scanner now. It is getting to the point that the banks will probabley have to fundamentally change the way credit cards function in order to reduce fraud.
A relatively simple way would be to give out a keychain device that gives an encryption code that changes every minute and is unique just to that one credit card. Then when a credit card is processed, the code would be picked up and confirmed accurate before any money is transferred. Even if the ID theft people could get both the code and the card, it would be near impossible for them to decode the algorythm used to generate these numbers if it is complex enough, especially if there are many differint algorythms used (say 1 per thousand customers or so).

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
yea it is just unforunate to even have to worry about this stuff, but it is the way the world works these days. I actually ordered this last purchase through my xbox, I am guessing that is how my info got hacked. I have had goodluck with my computer and never had a virus or any problems with that. I guess xbox just isnt as safe as I thought.

crk69

Jun 30, 2012
Guess there is no security in online ordering through the marketplace... I guess I need to start watching my statement as I just renewed my gold membership thru live....

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
yea CRK69 i just renewed my membership, and that very same day is when my stuff was taken. So keep an eye out for any odd purchases.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
They got me once. My card quit working and I had to go down to the bank to see what the deal was. They said someone in London was trying to put charges on it, which they blocked and closed my card. Hard to believe Bank of America actually did something good.
+2 on the PayPal

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
My itunes got hacked and they used that to charge paypal for some shit. The sad part is Neither itunes or PayPal blinked when I suddenly started making charges from indonesia! I have started using paypal again, but I won't connect it to my bank account. I stopped using itunes altogether, because their security is crap.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Surprised at how many have had their card stolen online. I read an article about a month ago that said it is now easier for someone to steal your credit card information when you scan it in person. Some sort of machine that can detect it wirelessly. Guess you just have to be careful where ever you spend your money these days.

hunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2012
Canada
That's rough, I work in a call centre that takes parts order from British Columbia and Alberta, and if a person doesn't have an account with us I have to take a credit card number over the phone before I make the order. At which point that number stays in my book which never leaves the building until the book is burned. Some guys don't like it but they always have the option of going into a branch and seeing if a partsman on the counter would order it for him. Every month we get a call or two from scammers trying to get injectors and other small high ticket items from us with stolen credit cards. Fairly easy to tell those guys since they have accents, caller ID coming from the US, and ask to have UPS pick up the parts without an address.
Hope your troubles are over soon!

yaboofive

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2010
There are countless ways for a carder to get your info. Sad to say you don't even need to make a purchase. Protecting yourself online is all and good, however if you don't guard yourself in person your attempts online may be in vain. The easiest way to gather all the info one would need is from your own trash. Or from all the cards packing RFID chips. Anyone with a basic knowledge of electronics can easily piece together a scanner can pick up everything they want. All they have to do is walk relatively close by. busy city streets or airports are easy hunting grounds for a budding carder. A decent micro-cut shredder is a must for any paperwork you wish to dispose of and an RFID blocking wallet wouldn't hurt either.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Yep. Shred any paperwork with personal information on it (you'll find that's a damn lot of paper). Don't use credit cards with RFID tags in them. Check for unusual electronics attached to anywhere you are going to swipe. As I recently learned, avoid using services that bill you automatically through paypal and don't connect your paypal to your bank account, unless you have an account with limited funds specifically for this. If you pay with a debit card, run it as credit so that you don't have to enter your pin and can provide a signature. If available, get a credit or debit card with your photo on it. I don't get asked for ID 99% of the time and I use a card of some sort everywhere. One people never think about is NEVER leave mail or personal documents in your car. That's gold for identity thieves.

Status
Not open for further replies.