New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was on PipesandCigars.com and was messing around with the Make Your Own Blend section.

A crazy idea came to my mind. What if we blend these? Press them together for 2 weeks, then age for 6 months.
Oriental 20% 3oz

Latakia 54% 8oz

Dark Fired 13% 2oz

Whiskey 13% 2oz
What are you thoughts on this crazy concoction? Worth a try? What name would you give to this blend?
Cheers,

Chris

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Latakia Balm. I like my Latakia to dance, and this sounds like it would come out

slugging, but I'd try it. Could be good, if a little heavy handed.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
With that much lat and whiskey maybe it should be called "Barrett 50".

@mso489 What would you do to tweak the blend to make it dance for you, I would really appreciate the feedback. I wanted to add Burley instead of Whiskey at first, but I chucked caution to the wind and added it.
@juvat270 Thanks, I like hard hitting tabaci ;)
@darwin you crack me up Sir, Barret 50 ;)

jimbo69

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2014
Sounds delicious. I've been playing around with blending with that tool as well. I've added a few of their "blending" baccys to add more to mine. Perhaps a touch of perique?

jimbo69

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2014
I'd keep it as is and order some extra blending baccys to add to the mix. I hate that it is limited to 4.

jimbo69

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2014
Depends on your tastes. I like perique personally, but it can quickly overwhelm you if used in excess.
My latest experiment was:

Perique 13% 2

Latakia 38% 6

Oriental 37% 6

Toasted Black Cavendish 12% 2
...to which I added a touch of bright VA. Looks, tastes and smells remarkably like Crown Achievement.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
WTF is the "whiskey"? Is it an aromatic tobacco? Ditch it for a good VA and you'll have a good blend there. Not crazy, but maybe crazy good. If you want whiskey in it, just dribble a bit over the blend and mix well. Just avoid the aromatics, too much goop. Stick with quality.

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
Looks similar to a blend I have infusing at the moment. For whiskey in my "secret sauce" I used a touch of Woodford Reserve.

@Woodsroad Thanks a lot for the review, was much needed. I think the whiskey they refer to is an aromatic. Getting rid of it. Any suggestion on the whiskey to be used?
@rsuinv Indeed.
The Blend so far.
Latakia 50%

Oriental 20%

Dark Fired 15%

Red Virginia 10%

Perique 5%
Need suggestions on the whiskey. Found a link for the choice of whiskeys depending on the blend. Take A Look
Cheers,

Chris

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
LOL - @Darwin, my first thought was identical!
The first blend and all the alterations all sound great to me...

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
You will enjoy that blend. I'd back off on the Latakia and up the Va quotient with a lighter variety, but that's me, and your taste will lead you where you want to go.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
The whisky doesn't really make it an aro in my opinion, you'll just get a hint of flavor, I've added whisky to some english blends and it didn't make it bad. I'd also just order the components seperately and you'll probably save alot of money rather than having them put it all together and charge you 4$ an ounce when you can get most of these components for under 2$ an ounce then throw them together yourself. Plus if you have kentucky dark fired in there I wouldn't bother with perique, Russ was mentioning he was playing around with the 2 in a blend and it was too strong.
Also what orientals are you using, it's a pretty broad spectrum.

Status
Not open for further replies.