PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Just getting home from the farm at 3 A. M. I got called at 12:30 from my night milker, though it was his wife who called. "Dave is acting really strange, can you come down?"

"Yes I'll be there."

I hang up and get out of bed and get dressed. The Mrs. Has been up, throwing up a times already, and now gets up to do so again. I figure Dave has the flu or is fighting with his wife, so I load bowl to go while I'm down in the basement. The Mrs. wIil have to vomit on her own for a bit. I live a quarter mile a way and enjoy a nice night time walk with a pipe, so I figure to walk. Just as I step off the porch, I see the lights.
Police cruisers are out front. Shit. Change of transportation, I run back in and grab the keys to the jeep. Then I heard screaming. I speed on over and there is an ambulance parked out by the house. My aunt and uncle and my cousin's husband (he's an EMS) are out by the front. I shout some nonsense about Dave is having a problem up at the parlor. I turn the corner around the garage and see his wife and child. I park and see two police officers holding Dave down and cuffs on the ground. I run into the parlor and take milkers off the cows and let them out. Run back outside, his wife was telling that he had a siezure. Now there were three cops on him, my aunt was taking his daughter to the house. This is something she didn't need to see. I go back to milk the rest of the group of cows. I make a call home letting the mrs. Know I'm gonna be awhile and call my dad.
After I finish the group I head back out and get the story. He was feeling fine when he showed up then wasn't feeling good and called his wife ( he has a history of seizures I guess, and I faintly recall him mentioning it). She shows up and his leg is twitching uncontrollably. He collapses in the parlor and gets up and goes outside. That's when she called me. The police show up, he fights with them and a siezure insues. I show up right after.

So all in all its been a strange night. I finished milking and ended up pulling a calf. So I'll be tired as hell tomorrow and we will see what happens.

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
Never a dull moment, eh?! Hopefully the law isn't too hard on him--if the seizures are to blame.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Crazy night for sure. Seems like an odd way for the police to handle a seizure incident? :?

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
#seizurelivesmatter
Seriously, I hope everything works out for the fellow and you're not out a milker very long. More importantly, I hope your bride is on the mend.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I had a recent experience with paramedics that caused me to think 'again' about this entire EMERGENCY response scenario stuff.

I guess they see a lot of stupid people who can't take care of themselves and they assume the worst in self defense.

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
Rhoadi, The lady is doing better, ate a little soup. Told her not go to that indian restaurant when she was out, but never took my advise. We have two other milkers and I'll have the younger guy (Pappy, he's young and reliable) do the late shift. We gave him some beef for doing a little extra and he'll most likely oblige with the offer again. Tonight is covered by Pappy and the other guy.
Newbroom, Around here if a ambulance and cops are called its most likely drug related. Heroin is really bad here. We saw daily overdose deaths for two weeks during the summer. Though acting erratic will make them think LSD. Ever see one of those videos of a guy high on LSD take on the cops? its scary. So I agree with you!

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
His wife called them. She came down and saw him acting strange the called me. Then he fell in the parlor and she called 911

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hmmm. Wait for a complete medical explanation before you conclude anything. It could be drugs, but it might not be at all. When I was with the VA, it was explained that some of the older vets who were diabetic had to be carefully provided with bracelets so they didn't get hauled off to the drunk tank and die in a coma. Others with neurological disorders flail and fight in a hallucinogenic frenzy that is not drug induced. But as the man's employer, I'd insist on knowing what you are dealing with and I wouldn't accept any family explanations that don't add up. Some neurological problems are difficult to diagnose and it could take some time. You need to know what you have on your hands and whether this person can be trusted with your livelihood. Compassion, but also common sense.

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
Thank you for the kind words Cosmic!

Deathmetal you are right, but he swears he wasn't taking any drugs. I kinda believe him, given knowing he isn't the type for the stuff. But you never know.

MSO, as always an intelligent thought out response. I wonder if caffeine can cause seizures. My reason is because he had an open 24 oz red bull, 16 oz coffee, and a can of Mountain Dew. He has told me before he drinks four of those red bulls a day. Quite extreme.
An update. He was released on Saturday evening. They couldn't find anything drug related. Though some results haven't come back. He denied the catscan. They put him on a 12 day anti seizure medicine. I guess he had two seizures. He should be returning to work tonight. I've had my right hand helper (a 20 year old kid nicknamed pappy) doing the late shift. I got the flu today, so I did chores this morning and I'm taking off the rest of the day. Can't keep water down. I probably will end up heading down tonight to check on Dave. Basically I'm happy he is ok, but I'm glad he didn't get kicked by a cow and that's what set it off.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
'farmer, that's rough. You can't farm if you don't love it. My wife was a farm girl, no power or running water until middle school -- cattle farm in Northern Missouri. Take care of your health. Sounds like caffein is the problem or triggering his symptoms. With that much caff, I'm surprised he doesn't have irregular heartbeats.

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
Again, thank you for the kind words MSO. My mother grew up in similar conditions, as well as my grandfather (my fathers, father). I agree with you, I plan on asking if he has at least slowed down on the caffeine.
Tarak, I agree with you too, but I can't force the guy to do that.Some people are stubborn or don't want that high medical bill.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Just to clarify: I wasn't saying he was on drugs, but that this is what LEOs may think, which can cause dicey situations. I would not want to deal with or see what they have to deal with. Angry 300 lb muscular people on PCP can ruin your whole evening!
I hope he gets better. Brain quirks are no joke, but can often have a pedestrian origin.

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
I completely know where you are coming from Deathmetal. I wouldn't want to be an officer in these times. To many things can happen in any situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.