PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2012
I recently stumbled across this and thought it was pretty damn cool, it may not be to everyones liking but I think it's very clever and an original playful approach. Yes, it could be refined a bit, stain the inner stummel, perhaps use an amber or yellowish acrylic --- but overall ya gotta hand it to the guy for thinking outside the box...
timthumb.php

http://pzhanpipes.com/portfolio/0016-reverse-calabash-billard/
He's a self-taught carver from China.
I also found this pic on a forum, for some reason I just thought how cool it would look seeing the expansion chamber filled up with smoke, but I didn't consider the condensation...

013433v47lc8ak784c7gia.jpg

What y'all think?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Interesting, but as soon as I saw it, I wondered how bad it would look smoked and yep, not pretty. Somethings you don't want to witness...

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Not for me. Looks like a 21st century meth pipe had intercourse with grandpa's briar and this is their lovechild. Also, smoke that thin in public and I guarantee you being harassed by the police within minutes.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
One of the problems with these reverse calabash designs is that you do have to clean the second chamber every few bowls or it can really get gunky. Obviously being able to see the gunk is not a good thing.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Ping Zhan may not be well known, but he does some very good work. The idea of this pipe comes from Micahel Reyvagin. Reyvagin is a pretty far out dude, but well respected and his pipes go for big $$$$.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
I think it would a cool collector's piece unsmoked...but I do not think it looks very good once smoked

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I don't think it's in poor taste. It's a modern spin on a classic.
I like it, and I would smoke the living daylights out of it.
And yes Brewshooter, he's watching ping pong on his monitor while he's smoking that pipe lol.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
I think I like it? I'm trying to anyway. It certainly is a new creative idea in general me thinks. It's all about art and bringing something 'new and different' to the general public. I see the point of it getting 'yucky' looking after a few smokes that's certain. It would take extra work in maintaining that 'eye candy' of it all with cleaning more regularly.
But hey, I'd smoke it with pride!

Status
Not open for further replies.