PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I've been posting a bit too much, but can't help myself. I keep handling this pipe and the briar is just insane! This photo is the bottom of the pipe. All the rest of the pipe is crazy straight grain, but the bottom is mesmerizing and looks multilayered and 3 dimensional. Thought I'd share...

Dec 24, 2012
Kind of reminds me of the mesmerizing birdseye on forum member Kashmir's Comoy bulldog:
kYovEXk.jpg

I never get tired of looking at it.

Reactions: kashmir

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Gotta love a good contrast stain for making the birdseye pop...
One of my favourite fields of birdseye is on this Winslow that Mike has in his shop. The shape isn't my thing, but the grain is stunning.
http://www.briarblues.com/kl113.htm
-- Pat

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Wow peck that's awesome!!! It seriously looks as though if you look hard enough you'll see into the bowl through the latticework between the grain. Very very cool!!

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Pruss, im with you on that pipe! That's a really nice looking pipe for the money!
I've always been fascinated by the patterns and colors of nature. A few months ago I bought a baby Purple Tang I named Wu... Get it? Wu-Tang? Anyways, I'm equally mesmerized by his color and pattern...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I love a good birdseye as well. Sometimes I spend more time looking at my pipes than smoking them. :mrgreen:
http://pipesmagazine.com/members/chasingembers/album/picture/15341

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Lol CM I'm the same way. I used to have a similar icon using one of my Bangs. The color, patterns, the intricacy of the markings is truly captivating! I wish I was skilled enough to make one of these damn things myself.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
You should give it a try. It's very fun and calming! Tinsky kit+ a belt sander=

http://pipesmagazine.com/members/chasingembers/album/picture/15344

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Seriously? You did that?? How much time did you spend?
I have a dremel and a box of attachments and the thoughts occured to me. God knows I have the time... And since I'm new and an overachiever perhaps I'm capable of making the worst pipe that's ever been made anywhere in all of time!!!

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Worked on it for about a week between work and kids. Probably drove Mr. Weaver crazy with inquiries on technique and staining. :mrgreen:

Jan 8, 2013
iamn8, Chasing embers is right. I'm working on my first pipe right now. No belt sander for me though, all hand carved. It's a blast to watching what was once just a big block of wood turn into a pipe. I would recommend any pipe smoker to give it a go at least once.

May 31, 2012
IMAG0289-1-1.jpg

It's a Grand Slam 398,

he paid $95 for it he said.
he still pops in sometimes,

last visit was 4 months ago,
"These days finds me mainly on FaceBook under my real name Eric Boehm. I also help admin for The Gentleman's Pipe Smoking Society, also on FB."

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/puffing-incognito-/page/2#post-677321
:puffy:

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Beautiful pipes guys. OK, I'll play. Here's a couple of mine.
Checkout the birds eye on this jewel.
Wnffmaf.jpg

Can you guess who made this high end briar?
z6kNhaK.jpg

Wait for it... wait for it... That's right, a Dr Grabow Omega
ogoYtsd.jpg

Here is my GBD Prodigy poker

ODNuwO9.jpg

7fcgRn7.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.