Cracks in inside wall - Is this fixable?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

greatdane

Might Stick Around
Dec 26, 2018
I am looking at pipe which appears to have these cracks inside the tobacco chamber, see attached photo. Is this fixable? If so, what is the cost of permanently repairing this from a professional restorer? TIA
Cracks_zpslikbejol.jpg

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
You can try pipe mud, BUT that looks like a death sentence for that pipe. Pinning, banding or capping are options, but not really good fixes. More lipstick on a pig options.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I'd say it is fixable. Use some JB weld and let it set with some pressure. Sand it down and refinish the pipe.

Checkout the reborn pipes and dads pipes blogs online for some ideas and info.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
It looks to me like you are getting that pipe too hot. The rim looks kind of scorched. I could see a pipe developing a crack along a flaw but that looks like 6 cracks to me. Are the cracks running to the bottom or are they just at the top?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Looking at- as in deciding to buy?? If so, I'd pass.
While those cracks can be hidden, I'll bet more could appear. It also looks like it may have been topped. Side view? Make?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Topped is when the crown of a pipe is sanded down to remove damage such as charring or dings.

greatdane

Might Stick Around
Dec 26, 2018
Thanks guys - Yes, this was a S Bang pipe I was considering buying - I think I should pass then.

Status
Not open for further replies.