PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
As a newbie pipe smoker, I’m beginning to break my pipes in slowly as you folks have suggested.

I noticed that as I get to the bottom of the bowl, I occasionally need to dump my ash, do a light tamp, and relight to smoke all the way to the bottom.
Sometimes I hear a crackling sound as I’m drawing the flame down to light the rest of the tobacco. It kind of reminds me of a campfire crackling or a bowl of rice crispies in the morning.
Is this normal? I don’t want to start burning a hole of the bottom of my chamber, however, haven’t seen any evidence of this when I’m finished.

Could be the dry tobacco/dottle?
Thanks.

I have a Neerup that my wife gave me for Christmas a few years ago that popped and pinged as I smoked it on the first few dozen smokes. I still have no idea what it is, but no signs of burns or cracks. I don't have any technical info for you, and it could be that there is no one explanation for what causes this. But, my Neerup smokes fine. Once every blue moon, I will get a cracking sound, but it doesn't worry me now. It could just be moisture in the wood or something, but that is just my shot in the dark guess.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Sometimes burning stems make a brief crackling sound.
If the pipe is doing it, it is probably just warming up. Especially if you have dual layers of material, the transfer of heat could cause sudden pings like that, sort of like windows warming up in the sun (coincidentally, an event happening here right now).

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Perchance does your pipe-tobacco's label feature images of these gentlemen? :)

th

Actually, as suggested above, the origin of the sound is probably wet dottle in the heel of your pipe reacting with the burning tobacco above it.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
pianopuffer ---
It's none of the things listed so far. You are being deceived by Puppet People. Former humans who also once wondered what the crackling sound was, but now can no longer think at all.
It's alien eggs hatching in the bowl of your pipe. Little buggers that crawl their way down the stem, into your mouth, drill into your brain, and take over your body.
They are taking over Earth as we speak. Stop smoking and run while you can! I hear Antarctica is good. I'm headed there shortly, so you won't hear from me again.
Goodbye and good luck!
46c6e27c0df16057fb2e5d61174aeeee--google-search-humor.jpg

de3a2782dce911c6a452c127081efe17--electron-microscope-nature-pho.jpg

31781_colorado_potato_beetle_leptinotarsa_decemlineata.png

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Sometimes I hear a crackling sound as I’m drawing the flame down to light the rest of the tobacco. It kind of reminds me of a campfire crackling or a bowl of rice crispies in the morning.
Is this normal? I don’t want to start burning a hole of the bottom of my chamber, however, haven’t seen any evidence of this when I’m finished.

Could be the dry tobacco/dottle?
It's wet tobacco/dottle. Dry your tobacco before loading. Make sure heel of chamber is dry and no moisture in airway.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I sometimes hear that sound when I tilt my pipe bowl down and the condensate in the stem runs into the bottom of the bowl. It's the sound of the fire being put out by said condensate that's all.
This is easily remedied by my removing the stem halfway through the smoke (shock horror...) and running a cleaner through the stem to dry it. Dry stem re-attached I then carry on.
Regards,
Jay.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I suggest you dump / finish your bowl before you get to that point. Eventually, with the proper cadence and packing technique, you'll smoke it all without trouble.

Any practical jokers around where your pipe was? Cosmic? (you don't count)

Status
Not open for further replies.