PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Wife came in from Day Lilly Festival, stopped and shopped, had a big bag of Cracker Jacks. I want the prize I yelled. Got the prize and it was a tear off stub giving me a free app for game. Sheeeeeeez I said, with disgust Where's the peanuts I said, Wife says probably because of peanut allergies they don't have them anymore. Damn I say we're raising a bunch of sissies :rofl:

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I heard the real prizes were discontinued due to this unfortunate incident:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9JDF8n-Jyc

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
They switched to digitized prizes just before the 2016 baseball season.
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/04/29/476183872/cracker-jacks-prize-in-the-box-will-now-be-digitized

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As a child, I thought peanut butter was the food group from which all others sprang. I guess I can't blame a kid who goes into shock from nut allergies for being scared of them, but why are kids sensitized? One theory which has a faint glimmer of possibility is that kids of earlier generations were exposed to more organic stuff and their bodies programmed themselves in infancy to cope with them. When food, water and air became better, infant and toddler exposures decreased so when kids finally encountered stray organic molecules of various kinds, they reacted wrong. Only trouble with that theory is kids who grow up in the least clean environments have worse allergies and asthma (asthma isn't an allergy per se, but it is related to an immune response). 'Had a fellow church congregant who had bad nut allergies, though he was some years older than me. A covered dish church supper looked a lot different to him than it does to me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Being a sort of tech dyslexic, the thought of getting a game app as a Cracker Jack prize is like getting a homework assignment. But I guess the new generations experience a lot of life through devices. (Devices use to be a word connoting underhanded connivance, and to me, it still is.) I think I'd still enjoy Cracker Jack made with peanuts, but just caramel coated popcorn doesn't sound good to me. So they can't disappoint me with a game app.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Devices use to be a word connoting underhanded connivance, and to me, it still is.
Well said...couldn't agree more. People are becoming the tools of the devices instead of the other way around.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
peanut_1.jpg
OK, I loved Cracker jack as a kid. But I've found something that may be even better: Johnson's Popcorn. No relation. They have stores on the boardwalk at the Jersey Shore, where you can watch it being made. Dangerously good stuff.

It's crazy expensive mailorder, not sure why, it's much more reasonably priced on the boardwalk.

kyriefurro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
They make "Deluxe" versions now, with different nuts like almonds or pecans, some versions are drizzled in chocolate.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
OK, John. Here you go: Store prices on the boardwalk in Ocean City, NJ:
o.jpg
And that large tub is LARGE. They ask you "Lid on, or off?" If you say lid off, they'll fill the tub as high as humanly possible, giving you about 30% more.
Johnsons-Popcorn.4.jpg
NJ Shore regulars keep their tub and bring it back the next summer, saving a few bucks on refills.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
I always thought the "prize" conversion to a sticker was because of choking hazard, which is a joke since the product itself is a choking hazard.
But what do I know?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thanks, Dan. Now I am hungry. But the news of no peanuts in Cracker Jacks will make me search for alternatives here on the left coast.

Status
Not open for further replies.