PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I won this old Dunhill Brueyer in an eBay auction about a month ago. I did notice that the shank seemed to have been cut back a little bit (I doubt that Dunhill would have stamped it so close to the edge like that). I received it, gave it quick once-over and put it away.
I took it out the other day with the intention of smoking it this week, and as I was looking it over I noticed this crack, which is very fine, on the top of the shank.
I messaged the seller about it, "Well it had a tight fitting stem when we shipped it, so it couldn't have been cracked. And besides eBay says it's been more than 30 days, yadda yadda yadda"...
Needless to say this wasn't going anywhere...
So I have another repair job in the queue...
2l91v95.jpg

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Ideally it needs to be banded to prevent the split from worsening but of course that route would hide part of the nomenclature.
I'm sure the experts will chime in with some sort of solution.
Regards,
Jay.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
That is an ouch moment for sure, eBay may state it's past 30 days but you might want to revisit the auction to see if the cut back area was addressed and if not just contact PayPal stating the item was not as described showing the cut back area and crack and due to life happening you did not notice it until you brought it up into your rotation, you may find you'll receive a refund, terrible is how I feel for you, regards.

banjo

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
If you can't manage a return, then take Jay's advice. Worst case: you've got a Dunhill to smoke, and the band will give you peace of mind.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
I messaged the seller about it, "Well it had a tight fitting stem when we shipped it, so it couldn't have been cracked. And besides eBay says it's been more than 30 days, yadda yadda yadda"...
Yeah. It doesn't sound like people are falling all over themselves to make it right. Depending on how much you have invested I would say "a little bit of money" band it and smoke it. A bunch invested and it wasn't mentioned...fight your heart out for a refund.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I think I'll just take my lumps with this one... it happens.
Banding would be a solid solution, but it would obscure the nomenclature. I plan to drill a small hole at the end of the crack to keep it from spreading. Then tape off the area around the crack. I will turn some plastic on the lathe to just over the diameter of the tenon, and insert that in the mortise so as to open the crack ever so slightly, and fill with CA.
I may bore out the mortise and epoxy a sleeve into the shank interior to relieve any stress upon the affected area.
Kinda sucks though as I thought I had bought a nice '29 Brueyere in good shape; I will have a repaired Brueyere that looks good...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Looks like a nice pipe otherwise. (Does that sound like, "Other than that, how did you like the play Mrs. Lincoln?") I'd band it for peace of mind, but your plan sounds reasonable. I think you'll get years out of it. My only regret would be that you should have paid less, not that you shouldn't have bought the pipe. Now, I'd just enjoy it. Such is life.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That looks like an easy fix with a band. Just have someone band it, and you're good to go. Recently found myself in need of a new Dunhill stem, and just threw it away. Too much headache, but a band should be an easy fix.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
not long ago,I dropped my almost brand new Peterson prince pipe($99)on the floor,eventually this like shank crack was the result,somehow I managed to fix it using super glue,and so far the stem fit satisfactory snugly,how long,thats another question,banding of course would be ideal method as repair,although considering the average price of this pipe and common model,I did not want to start messing further,perhaps eventually I will find properly fitting empty rifle shell(brass) cutting, sawing and filing-do it your self at home''

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I will most likely use Delrin to make the sleeve. I will need to not only reinforce the inside of the mortise, but extend the butt end of the shank out somewhat. As it is, the inner tube extends into the bowl about 3/16" too far with the stem in place. The inner tube is a patent with a collar on it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It sure as hell looks like someone chopped off a bit of the shank, even without the nomenclature as an indicator, but it's hard to tell with such a close up if the shank is truly wrong for the bowl. I'd band it, as the nomenclature is compromised any way. Is the stem a replacement in any event??

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Well after thinking it over, I got into the resolution process on PayPal. I'll see how that works out.
I could do the repair work myself, but in the end i'd still have a pipe that I paid 3-4 times what it's worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.