Tags:  No tags yet. 

Cracked Shank

(8 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by sjfine
  • Latest reply from mikephillips
  1. sjfine

sjfine

Login to Send PM

I am so pissed, I can't stand it. I'd use emoticons, but there just isn't one that expresses my rage adequately.

I treated this (Radice GO), along with my other (very few pipes) with kid gloves. This one never even touched a hard surface. In fact, I have only smoked in 6 or 8 times.

So, I'm sitting here (on a leather couch) working, and when I put it down to type, I put it down next to me. I pick it up and the couch is wet. Then I see the crack.

Granted, I have been smoking it all day, but not like a bellows, and the pipe never got hot. I also never handle the stem or the shank, I hold this only by the bowl. I had noticed, and was a bit perturbed about, the off-center drill in the shank, and that the stem never really sat flush. It was only a few microns off, and I chalked it up to it being hand-made.

Can it be repaired? What the heck happened? Why this pipe and not, say, one of my cobs? Why me? What is the use in living anymore?

The crack starts on the thin side.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Sorry to hear about this -- heartbreaking, I know.

Your Radice might be able to be repaired. I'm thinking, worst case, the crack may still show, but the repaired pipe will be sound.

If this were my Radice, I'd contact Ronni and discuss your options:

http://www.nightowlpipeworks.com/repair/index.htm

As to why it happened, there are many possibilities. One is that briar can have an unseen/undetectable fault, such as a small stone pebble that the living wood worked its way around during its growth. There are many other causes as well.

And do let us know how you make out!

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

lestrout

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's very repairable. The classic fix is a metal band. But if you have a friend that makes fishing rods, have him wind rod wrapping thread over the cracked area. When silk thread is used and then varnished, the threads become transparent, making for a neat effect.

hp
    les

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. taerin

Eric

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Many pipe makers warentee their pipes from major issues like this for 30-90 days, perhaps they have such a policy?

"The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time."
    Mark Twain
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Damn, buddy, that's a tough break. Good looking pipe, too. If you bought it new, you need to contact the manufacturer and tell them exactly what happened. If you bought it used at an Ebay auction, you need to contact the seller and tell them it was damaged when you received it. If you've had it for quite awhile and are just now getting around to smoking it you might not get any satisfaction from either, but it wouldn't hurt to try. Failing that, do just what these guys said, have it repaired. Odds are it won't be expensive, and when you get it back it'll have a nice silver band around the shank and be even classier than it already is.

There is no reason for a pipe to ever, ever break that easily. I treat my pipes badly, not worrying about how they look so long as they're functional. I'm rough with them, drop them on my desk, bang the dottle out....I have never had a shank break out like that except for one time, when my 3 year old daughter accidentally sat on my favorite Smokemaster apple. That was 20 years ago, I've owned probably 400 pipes between then and now.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Sjfine: You've received some killer advice here. Let us know how this plays out, okay?

@Mikephillips: WTF have you been since I joined this forum? I've read three of your posts today and they've been brilliant, practical, very well written shots of whiskey on the rocks. Man, it's nice having you here. Welcome.

Fnord

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. sjfine

sjfine

Login to Send PM

I e-mailed Ronni and he replied. It won't be too expensive to repair, but money is a little tight, so it will wait a short while. He did say that the repair would be internal, so I'm happy. At least about that.

@mike: I bought it on eBay. The seller has a good rep, and it was (and remains mostly) in great condition. I wouldn't dream of asking for him to take it back, whatever happened wasn't his doing. Whatever caused this had to be inherent in the way the bore was drilled - or, so I suppose with my very limited ability to think about such things.

Oh well, I don't mind scars. As long as it's going to be a keeper, I will postpone the trip to the mountain in the probably-futile search of the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

Thanks for the help, sympathy, and advice, guys.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Mikephillips: WTF have you been since I joined this forum? I've read three of your posts today and they've been brilliant, practical, very well written shots of whiskey on the rocks. Man, it's nice having you here. Welcome.

Fnord

Hey Man, that is just me...spreadin' joy and sunshine wherever I go....

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   philobeddoe, beefeater33, ruger414, eightywon, tunek, txbeerboy, derfargin, trailboss, sirbogglesworth, ddavid