PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
I am so pissed, I can't stand it. I'd use emoticons, but there just isn't one that expresses my rage adequately.
I treated this (Radice GO), along with my other (very few pipes) with kid gloves. This one never even touched a hard surface. In fact, I have only smoked in 6 or 8 times.
So, I'm sitting here (on a leather couch) working, and when I put it down to type, I put it down next to me. I pick it up and the couch is wet. Then I see the crack.
Granted, I have been smoking it all day, but not like a bellows, and the pipe never got hot. I also never handle the stem or the shank, I hold this only by the bowl. I had noticed, and was a bit perturbed about, the off-center drill in the shank, and that the stem never really sat flush. It was only a few microns off, and I chalked it up to it being hand-made.
Can it be repaired? What the heck happened? Why this pipe and not, say, one of my cobs? Why me? What is the use in living anymore?
6D8FD3D9-CFA6-412B-9D6F-95967A1E4B79-5505-0000056B5BAA27DB_zpsb26d05d9.jpg

The crack starts on the thin side.

08330470-58D7-4DC2-B5AF-23E425517073-5505-0000056B6658E470_zps4d930879.jpg

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
That's very repairable. The classic fix is a metal band. But if you have a friend that makes fishing rods, have him wind rod wrapping thread over the cracked area. When silk thread is used and then varnished, the threads become transparent, making for a neat effect.
hp

les

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Many pipe makers warentee their pipes from major issues like this for 30-90 days, perhaps they have such a policy?

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
@Sjfine: You've received some killer advice here. Let us know how this plays out, okay?
@Mikephillips: WTF have you been since I joined this forum? I've read three of your posts today and they've been brilliant, practical, very well written shots of whiskey on the rocks. Man, it's nice having you here. Welcome.
Fnord

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
I e-mailed Ronni and he replied. It won't be too expensive to repair, but money is a little tight, so it will wait a short while. He did say that the repair would be internal, so I'm happy. At least about that.
@mike: I bought it on eBay. The seller has a good rep, and it was (and remains mostly) in great condition. I wouldn't dream of asking for him to take it back, whatever happened wasn't his doing. Whatever caused this had to be inherent in the way the bore was drilled - or, so I suppose with my very limited ability to think about such things.
Oh well, I don't mind scars. As long as it's going to be a keeper, I will postpone the trip to the mountain in the probably-futile search of the answer to life, the universe, and everything.
Thanks for the help, sympathy, and advice, guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.