PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
So my new briar (first) briar now has a crack in the shank. there's some other cosmetic issues with it that i might ask about later, but this one is actually practical. The crack is from the tip of the shank to about half in inch towards the bowl. The stem was pretty tight fitting to begin with so that probably contributed to it, but how can i fix this? Perhaps a band around it like some cobs have? How would I do that? or is there something better? Now granted it's only a $25 pipe, so if it's too costly I'll just smoke it till it breaks, but if it's a cheap fix than I'm all for it. So any suggestions, brethren?

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
It would be more than the pipe is worth to send it out to be repaired. I suggest that you run a bit of super glue into the crack (with stem removed) and squeeze it tightly while the glue sets. Then very carefully sand the tenon on the stem to a just snug fit with some 400 or higher sand paper.

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
Thanks Uncle Arthur. I might try that. Would super glue be safe to smoke with though? Just curious, in case my throat swells up like inhaling straight perique or something! 8O
Any other suggestions folks?

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Be sure it has thoroughly gassed off, say a day of rest. Then it's inert unless it gets real hot. Not a problem on the shank.

fshu2

Can't Leave
Jan 22, 2011
uncle is right just give it some time to let the fumes go away and you will be in great shape.

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
The only other way I know than the DIY method that Arthur has suggested is to take it to your local B&M and get them to repair it by a combination of gluing and a metal band. This might be a little excessive though if it was not a very expensive, but as it is your first briar it might be worth it from a sentimental point of view.
I have repaired a number of pipes the way Arthur suggests and they have been fine.

This is the way I do it.

1. Make a peg (like a pencil) that will fit into the mortice and expand the crack(BE VERY VERY CAREFUL, the peg only needs to go in sufficiently to slightly expand the crack to allow the glue to coat the sides of the crack)

2. With a small paint brush, use alcohol to clean the area around and along the crack.

3. Allow to dry thoroughly.

4. Apply the Super Glue carefully into the crack.

5. Before it dries, remove the peg from the mortice and then squeeze the crack together until the glue dries. (I use a very small Jewellers vice for this with wooden jaws, but using your fingers will do).

7. As Arthur reccomends, sand the tenon down to ensure a slightly looser fit, so as not to further expand the mortice (and the repair).

letsgodowntherabbithole

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 31, 2011
there is some real quality briar to be had at antique stores if you don't mind doing a little clean up. If you want to try to fix this one the super glue method sounds like a solid way to do it, but if you don't you can get a nice pipe for under 10 bucks at an antique mall. If you want to buy another pipe and can't find one or don't want to mess with it just send me a pm. We are all in this together, I can make sure you get another one for cheap :D

wolfscout

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2010
Newberry, SC
I'd repair it and get you a cob to take off some of the load of your first briar. :puffy: Then keep an eye for some estate pipes. They are proven puffers.

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
Hey everybody, thanks for your offers... I mean, wow! What great group of folks to belong to. I'll probably try excav8tor and authur's suggestion to fix it. It's a semi-churchwarden which are hard to find these days (at least for me -if you know anywhere... let me know!), and while I've seen some good pipes at the antique shops, I still love my short church.

pdmus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 5, 2011
Santa Monica, CA
I also have an "inexpensive" pipe that I recently purchased. It is a Spitfire, very light, almost pine color. I drive a 66 Triumph Spitfire, so I had to have it! It smokes great, but when I got it there was a hairline crack in the shank, past where the stem ends. I've been watching it grow, and enjoying how well it smokes. The crack is large enough now that I can fit a knife blade in it. I just looked inside the shank and there is a deep imprint where the tip of the stem hits, and it's not really aligned with the draft hole. The stem has an insert, so I cut that down by about and eight of an inch. Maybe there was pressure? I think I will just leave it and enjoy it for now, but I may try the super glue idea as in this discussion. Thanks and good luck with your pipe!

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
I’d try Super Glue, I’ve done it and it works. Pick up a tub of a gelled super glue it’s much easier to control and if you don’t have a clamp you can always use a couple strong rubber bands or even a couple twist ties tightened carefully with pliers.
As you know super glues bonds very quickly but because it’s going to be exposed to heat and moisture I’d let it set for 12 to 24 hours to completely cure. As far as it being toxic not to worry doctors use super glue all of the time to close wounds where stitches and staples won’t work.

pdmus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 5, 2011
Santa Monica, CA
Thanks for the super glue fix. I have an "inexpensive" Spitfire pipe that smokes great and I like it a lot. It developed a shank crack about 1/2" long, and I filled it with super glue, smoked it the next day. It's been a few weeks now and it is fine. I used the super glue pen, which allowed me to easily fill the crack, but not overflow. Worked great!

babarajas

Lurker
Mar 11, 2011
My dad used super glue on a old pipe about 20 yr ago...I think it still in his cabinet.. I might pull it out and puff on it...

babarajas

Lurker
Mar 11, 2011
I pulled that old pipe, Jobey, and lit up a bowl of some aromatic I had traded for... it still held up. Dad said he super glued it in 85. So it does work.

Status
Not open for further replies.