PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I picked this up for $18 bucks via ebay. It's a Peterson 303 System Pipe. When I bid on it I had no idea if the crack went all the way through the bowl or not.
I knew the cracks went around most of the bowl but I had no idea they we're almost a perfect circle around the entire pipe. However I was happy to find that they did NOT go into the bowl. The pipe looked worse then it does in the pictures specifically the rim top and the interior of the bowl. It also has fills everywhere.
I used some briar dust I had gathered from a few previous bowl toppings and packed it into cracks. Then I used thin layers of super glue along it. I let it sit for a few days before cutting out the thick layer of cake in the pipe. Then I used alcohol, cotton balls, and pipe cleaners to pull out TONS of gunk out of the bowl. Between the stem and the bowl the crud I pulled out looked like sewage.
I let it sit for a week, sanded it down with a few different grits, topped it, did the stem, then polished it with white diamond. I did NOT wax it and I figured it didn't really need to be stained.
I actually thought about trying to rusticate the pipe but honestly I think this poor little pipe has had a hard enough life. That big old ugly scar just makes that pretty birdseye look all that much better. I know it's not a professional job, but I figure I can get a few more years out of this pipe.
Ignore the bad cell phone pics and "dusties" from my buffing wheel.
BEFORE via the Ebay Seller:

After:

I'll have to show you guys my collection of "rescued" Peterson's one day. I think I have about six now.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Nice work. I wouldn't have had the guts to risk a buy like that, but looks like you did okay.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I can re-read a post 4 times and I still have to go back and edit...
@Six. Agreed. I had a good feeling about her though. I am smoking a bowl of Prairie Wind in her right now. Smokes fine...the bowl is a little small but it feels really good in my hand. I can still taste a bit of the alcohol treatment but a few more smokes should take care of that.
She just needed some love.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Jah I love it when things that most people think can"t be fixed wind up like yours, magnificent job, character galore, 23 years ago an old friend was very sad , his Ford 8n had cracked the block and was told it couldn't"t be fixed, he had the tractor for 20 yrs and it was his right arm, I went to his house on my days off , pulled the motor, took it apart, veed the crack out, mixed some Humble Weld, kind of like JB weld, let it cure, rebored the cylinder, put oversize rings and when it fired up I swear that old man had tears in his eyes, that's what you did for the pipe, Poppa Peterson is proud of you. :clap:

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Wow great Jah fixin up the pipe. I am sure you will have lots of great smokes from it.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Really nice job! :clap:

I never would have thought anyone could bring that pipe back to life. I hope it returns the favor for many years. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.