PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

john019

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2018
So I buy and resell pipes, and got this one in a large group of pipes. It is a Peterson, and has a rather noticeable crack in the bottom of the bowl. My questions is, if I were to attempt to repair this, what would be the best way in doing it? I was hoping to repair it, and at least try and get a few bucks for it, or should I not even mess with it? The crack doesn't seem to go all the way through the bowl, but I'm not sure. I haven't cleaned the chamber out to see. So it is able to be repaired and still be a usable pipe?

Next question, if it is able to be repaired, is it wrong to try and re-sell it? I do disclose any and all work I do to my pipes, so I will be mentioning it has a major repair. Thanks for any advice, John.
p2180001-600x449.jpg

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
That pipe is dead. It already has a plug. You can try to fix it, it's your time, but it would be as worthless with a giant plug as it is now. That's my honest opinion.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
That is an ex-pipe. IMO that is.
Personally, I wouldn't waste the time and I certainly wouldn't want to buy it even if it had been repaired, but there have been some amazing restorations shown on this site, so who knows. Others might say otherwise.
It will be interesting to see some responses.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I'm not entirely sure, but that looks like burnout to me that led to a crack. I don't think it's salvageable, but I'm no expert. Some of the other guys might know better than I.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Looks like someone drove a nail or tack into the bowl? Or maybe that’s just a sealer that was used to fill in the crack.

john019

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2018
Ok. At least now I have an extra stem to use. I have learned having extra stems around is not a bad thing. Thanks guys!

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
After reading the subject line, I thought this post was going to pertain to smoking crack in a Peterson bowl. :rofl:

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Hard to tell from the outside, but that looks like burn-through caused by a sand pit. If that's the case, I really hope you don't try to sell that to anyone no matter what work gets put into it.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Considering the attempt at repair ... that pipe was probably very special to someone once upon a time.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Dead on, I bet.
That fissure doesn't look like what would happen if excessive cake heated up too quickly, as the sides would be split first, I'd guess. But maybe not. Who's got a guess as to how that happened?

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
That pipe was burned out and repaired with a plug. The plug was too wide or made of an expanding material and worked as wedge, cracking the pipe. The crack obviously goes all the way through, as it's practically dripping with tar. Someone did NOT want to stop smoking this pipe.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I would try to fix it for the experimentation aspect only. You can’t make it any worse. If it you repair it to a smokeable state I doubt you can resell it after you tell the story of the restoration.

Status
Not open for further replies.