PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
I dont know what happened i hadent picked up a pipe in several years and had a few oldies stashed. I went and got my bent pipe out and the shank had a crack in it. It still smokes with very little issue in air leaking, but i dont want to have to put it away in storage 6 feet under. My local tobacco shop owner suggested i send it off to get banded, but considering the economics of it i would spend more for the repair than the pipe was worth when i got it. any ideas? i tried checking the rings on every ink pen in the house to see if i could get close but none were big enough.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
I had one crack on Me so I took some butcher string and turned it around the shank from the stem to the bowl then put on some clear stain on the string. It worked good and looks nice as well.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
No pics I can never get them to work but just turn some string around it to see what it looks like just remember the stain makes it a bit darker.

dhintonca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I've just repaired a $6 (with shipping to Canada!!!) ebay Chinese pipe -- brand new, it came with a cracked stem, a loose ring, and notch in the rim of the mortise. I patched it with liquid super glue:
1) put a pipe cleaner in the shank

2) use an eyeglass or equivalent flat blade screwdriver to wedge the crack open a little bit

3) keep a toothpick handy and put a couple of drops on the crack - if needed quickly spread the glue over the whole crack line

4) remove the screwdriver

5) apply glue to the band area and put the ring back on

6) let it dry overnight
One of the best smoking pipes I've got -- amazing!!!
Chinese6Special.jpg

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Super glue has saved tons of pipes for me. Most often I just run some in the crack and apply finger pressure until it takes. Usually just a few seconds. Leave it over night and GENTLY try inserting the stem. If it's too tight give the mortice a serious cleaning and try again, before you do any alterations to the stem.

Status
Not open for further replies.