PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

exibar

Lurker
Sep 28, 2015
Hi all!

I picked up a nice little lot of estate pipes the other day. There is a nice Dr. Grabow Omega within the bunch of them. I like this pipe a lot and want to restore it to add it into my rotation.
The only problem, aside from the usual "Estate Pipe Stuff", is that the stem is split about halfway down from the button.
I was going to drill a small hole at the end of the crack to prevent further cracking, then fill that hole with the usual charcoal and superglue, then apply superglue into the crack best I can. Would this be the recommended method that y'all would use also?

I heard a rumor that there is black superglue, should I source some of that and use that instead?
thanks all!

Mike B

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
Just a note, pictures are always recommended when asking about repair/maintenance.
Apparently you can also have Grabow make a new stem for it. Worth looking into this as well.

Grabow Factory Replacement

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
When you don't have $10 and shipping costs that's how! ...sad...but it happens sometimes.

exibar

Lurker
Sep 28, 2015
that thread was over 3 years old.... does anyone know if they still re-stem for $10?

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
That's why I said worth looking into. Call the number? Anything you find out if you go for it, please let us know.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The repair might be more interesting than buying a new stem, but the black super glue might cost just as much, or close. I feel like there must be thousands of Omega stems cluttering the world and junk drawers in pipe shops and pipe smokers cellars everywhere. Keep the pipe, clean up the briar, repair the stem if you can, and keep your eyes open for a possible replacement if the repair doesn't work out to your satisfaction -- likely it will. Also, ask at a pipe show, if you have access to one. Even if an exhibiter didn't have one on hand, he/she might be able to send it to you. You might ask online retailers by phone or email.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Omega stems can probably be bought direct from the factory. They do not need to be fitted to the pipe. Email or call Debbie Osborne at the factory-- Debbie.Osborne@internationalpipes.com 336-372-5521 to get ordering info.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
In comes ejames the Grabow Encyclopedia! They should give you a job there...or at least pay you for marketing the product as well as you do.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I offered to sweep the floors of the factory for free if they would let me set up a cot in a corner and use their tools and materials nights and weekends. The plant manager declined.

Status
Not open for further replies.