PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Here's another pipe that caught my eye recently. 123herbert had 2 of these pipes for auction. One was unsmoked but otherwise pretty plain. The other was well used and had some sort of flag applique on the band. I have plenty of old plain bulldogs, so I went for the one with the flag.

It arrived in decent shape. Dirty more than anything. It's a large bulldog. Identical in size and shape to a Kaywoodie 07C. I topped the bowl a bit to get rid of a small burn mark and some knife marks. Didn't take much and doesn't show.

The rubber push stem looks like a 20s-30s replacement for what was likely an amberoid bone tenon model. I can see a vestige of threads in the mortise. The profile still looks period so I'm not complaining. There's a little oxidation left on the stem at the shank end. I'll get it later. I want to smoke this pipe ASAP.

My guess is that this is around a 1900s pipe.

But the really nice surprise came when I cleaned the brass band. Turns out the flag has some cool red, white and blue enameling! I had no idea. It looks sharp! Hence the 4th of July reference.
CPF%20FB%20Bulldog%20Flag%201_zpsh5qil8lx.jpg

CPF%20FB%20Bulldog%20Flag%202_zpsfr3wncbs.jpg

kyrob

Might Stick Around
Apr 15, 2011
I saw that one too! It's way cool that the logo had enamel coloring! Congrats!

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Great smoking pipe. Thousands of smokes left in this thing. There is a future pipe smoker out there who will someday be happy to have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.