Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I just finished this one. It's a medium size pipe. The rim has some minor dings. What really attracted me to this pipe is that the top rim is completely smooth. Rim caps are usually pretty well pounded. My guess is it dates around 1910. Nice cherry Bakelite stem and some nice jewelry. The cap and band are probably plated with an alloy to mimic gold. There was very light tarnish. I think I detect a slight copper hue. The flowers are silver. The case logo reads CPF Best Make.
CPFFlowerMeer1_zpsc1f3ea83.jpg

CPFFlowerMeer2_zpsfcc562d2.jpg

As bought:
CPFFlowerMeerbefore4_zps2e0fbe09.jpg

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
Looks amazing! Very well done. I'd like to hear how it smokes for you. Screw tennon?

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Yes, bone screw tenon. The tenon was tight so I drilled it out a bit. These pierced style bents have a pretty good S curve airway. Forget passing a pipe cleaner. Getting the bottom end clean is always the hardest. But in the end I have a good open airway. The maiden smoke was really very good. This one is going in the rotation for now.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Now that is a very nice pipe. The early 20th century went through a phase of putting these very pretty reliefs on pipes much in the same way they added those fake tin corn-icing to the tops on NYC buildings before World War One. It is so nice to see a good pipe case as the majority of cases tend to suffer and often don't survive or are held together with a rubber band. Again the fact that all the threads on the pipe are in good condition and everything fits tightly together makes this pipe an absolutely super find. I have a couple with red Bakelite stems from 1905/1907 and they really are very forgiving stems providing you use the modelling pipe cleaners as recommended by Dave Shain whose simple suggestion revolutionized the care of vintage meerschaum pipes and is so much better than bird feathers.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
The cap & the band really work with the cherry Bakelite to set off the meerschaum coloring! Nice pipe!

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
How do you know the stem is Bakelite, and not amber? I just bought a similar pipe, the seller listed the stem as amber, but it looks just like yours. Its a CPC pipe also.

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I can pretty much tell the difference by looking. I have and have had, a lot of these pipes. I have never seen red amber. Amber, orange, orange swirl, but not red. Plus, amber or anmberoid is more fragile. It alsmost always has chips or crazing. Bakelite is tough stuff that, besides tooth marks, it is usually defect free.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
That's a wonderful pipe! It has sort of a celebratory appearance -- like a gift that commemorates something noteworthy.

meer-silver.jpg

Nice clean-up job on it too! :clap:

Thanks for all the pix. They're always appreciated.

aimus1

Lurker
Jun 6, 2015
Awesome!

I just picked up something similar to this as well. Case also reads cpf best make.

Would you mind sharing what you use/process for wet sanding? did you wax afterward and if so...would you mind sharing your waxing process as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.