PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iajaffe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2010
Anyone know what the Ivarson pipes went for? I think everyone should thank Lars for single handedly taking care of Friday dinner next year.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Is this a practice common to the community? Loaning out your great smoking pipes?

I'm cool with buying estate pipes, lord knows, but intermittent temporary pipes exchanges seem a little far fetched.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The Lars went for $8,200.
Here's The Nanna!

annaivarsson-450x600.jpg

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
I just don't understand how these can be worth so much. I mean a couple of thousand dollars, I can see where that goes, but $8,200 ? What makes these pipes so expensive ?

pipedreamin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2016
"I just don't understand how these can be worth so much. I mean a couple of thousand dollars, I can see where that goes, but $8,200 ? What makes these pipes so expensive ?"
This surely, as kcghost pointed out, a "smoking" pipe maker 8O

serveimage_zpsobb1tfai.jpg

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
I just don't understand how these can be worth so much. I mean a couple of thousand dollars, I can see where that goes, but $8,200 ? What makes these pipes so expensive ?
Name and tradition/pipe history. They are fine pipes for sure but these days fine pipes are a dime a dozen. The only thing that sets most artisan made pipes apart these days is the name, IMHO.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
there's another point to be made here
the chicago show is a real asset to the entire pipe community. to the enthusiasts who are lucky enough to go, to the people who enjoy it vicariously by hearing about it from their friends, and, since the show is a primary vehicle for introducing new talent and giving it a forum for exposure, to pretty much everyone else who likes artisan pipes and tobaccos. if it disappeared i believe it would leave an awfully big hole that nothing else would quite fill
i've been told that the show ran in the red the last two years. the money made on tables and on tickets sold to walk-ins is pretty predictable in advance. what makes the difference between red ink and black is the silent auction. the same economics, by the way, are true at many pipe events across the country (the kc show and the seattle annual dinner are just two). so, at the margin, what keeps the show in existence is the generosity of everyone willing to contribute something to the auction, and the willingness of attendees to bid
there is good stuff available at the silent auction every year. but two ivarsson pipes is unprecedented. lars makes a pretty small number of pipes each year. for him to give up one for the chicago silent auction is a terrific sacrifice, both in absolute dollars and as a share of his annual income. there are people literally all over the planet badgering him for a single pipe. ditto for his daughter nanna, and ditto for wolfgang becker (who also donated a gorgeous pipe that sold for quite a bit)
i think a real shout-out is owed to everyone who contributed to the auction, and especially to lars, nanna & wolfgang. their generosity was stupendous, and i honor them for it. those three, by themselves, ensured that the show made money this year after two years of losses. and don't kid yourself. things that lose money don't go on forever, at least not without federal funding. anyone out there want to write a grant proposal?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Heh, I will submit one soon to the FDA- I am sure they have the funds to commit....:)
The auction was stupendous! I won four and lost three, but it sure gave me an opportunity to think I was supporting the show at the same time acquiring some good pipes- a couple at 'stealing' prices.
I was shocked to learn from one of the organizers that the reason they don't sell tickets the night before is that some tool photocopied tickets—yes, the $15.00 admission tickets!—when they issued tickets before the morning of the Saturday opening... The volunteers to a yeoman's job.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Postscript to this nice thread: at the NYPC summer picnic, Hank Saatchi (ebuyer1932 on the Bay) had his usual array of fine briars, and among them was an older Lars Ivarsson, in a size that floated my boat. So now at Morley's, where several of the members have collections of both Ivarssons, which I like to fondle (not the carvers nor the members), I have my very own. Now, Jon and Al, I'll bring it to events that I expect to see you, and you are welcome to try puffing something nice in it. BTW, my Lars is a great tasting puffer. So much so that I can see myself breaking out of my shell with lesser pipes, or at least lesser priced ones.
hp

les

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Why so expensive? When you get into the league of pipe artisans who have shaped the world of pipe design over decades, pricing is more related to works of art than even fine smoking pipes. These are pieces of history and the bids go up and up. That being said, it's worth noting that designs by Sixten Ivarsson have been produced by Stanwell for years and can be purchased by folks for $50 in some series.

Status
Not open for further replies.