PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cesconable

Lurker
Jan 12, 2012
Virginia
Hey everyone! This will officially be my third post on the forums. I was hoping to get some clarification on some issues I've been worried about. I have yet to purchase a pipe or tobacco but am impatient to do so. Regardless of my lack of patience...I need to get these few concerns taken care of before I spend a bunch of cash on a pipe or two.
I'm very attracted to Meerschaum pipes; specifically, eagle claws. Ever since I seen Jefferson Davis's famous Eagle Claw pipe I knew I would accept nothing less. I've found plenty of excellent examples of these pipes but am worried about merchants trying to pawn off pressed meerschaum block as opposed to the real Turkish block. To be honest I wouldn't mind owning a cheaper quality block...as long as it colored properly, was reliable, and didn't come with the high pricetag of a turkish block pipe carved by a master carver...
Another concern is fragility of the pipe. It seems that Meerschaum pipes can be quite delicate...I'm not one to be delicate with most things I own...my mindset is that if I pay money for something I want to get my use out of it by....well..using it. I plan on handling my meerschaum by the bowl, cleaning it (but not on a daily basis). Only when it starts to taste off between weekly, maybe monthly, cleaning. I also plan to carry mine with me most places. I will be purchasing a Cob for general daily carry (work, commute, school) so if it isn't advisable to carry my Eagle Claw everywhere I go...I guess I could let it stay at home.
In short..
1) Do Meerschaums really require delicacy when handling?

2) Who are reputable dealers from which I can purchase a legitimate Turkish Block Meerschaum at a reasonable price? ($100)

3) Are Meers something that you generally keep at home tucked away in it's custom fitted case on a shelf somewhere for special occasions?

4)Do any of you carry yours every day?
Lastly, I'm concerned on the reliability of those stems with the plastic looking (teflon?) male connector piece...do they hold up well?
I've read the beginners guide to Meers on this site and another forum and have done some pretty extensive research on available pipes, general price ranges, block types, and other general knowledge.
I really appreciate your insight and suggestions. I'm looking forward to making my first pipe purchase...I'm hoping I'll at least find somewhere to purchase a pouch or tin of tobacco and a cob....Great Dane..or Country Gentleman. Maybe even a reliable inexpensive briar!

Jul 12, 2011
I think Fred would be best to answer these questions...but will try (let

me know how I do Fred)
1. In short, Yes...you shouldn't be bang'in around a Meer pipe (buy a rusticated briar or cob for this )
2. IMP pipes as well as Altinok (these are the ones I know to use quality meer block), you can get an IMP from smokingpipes.com for range of $108-$150
3. I smoke my meers everyday (that is the wonderful thing about them, I buy pipes to smoke/not to look at in their cases)
4. I tend to leave them at home and carry my rusticated briars or cobs around town with me
5. If you buy a quality Meer pipe you won't have to worry about crappy materials/engineering
I hope that helped some....

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Given that you will "accept nothing less" than an eagle claw, and that you only want to spend $100, you may be searching for awhile.
smokindragon gives excellent advice. The only thing I'll add is to keep your options open; maybe don't get "married" to a particular shape or material just yet.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
Welcome and I see you have some very good questions. A claw is going to be my next purchase.
1) yes and no. You can't get away with just plopping it down on the counter and dropping it is a no brainer, it will break. I have 6 now, and I treat them like the art they are. I do not however tuck them away. I use them walking or going out, I just remember what I am smoking with and mind I do not abuse them. Each has a case so when I am done it goes back into it.
2) There are many many posts on the forum where people have given reputable dealers to choose from, just do a search on meerschaum.
3) yes. I do this with one only because it is big and a little heavy and the case is large but, that would be up to the smoker.
4) no. I have maybe 200+- pipes, and as I have said only 6 are meer, but if you only have 1 and it is meer, go for it. My wife's grandfather had only 1 pipe, a meer, (which I have now) and he smoked it all day long. It is dark, a little crusty. nicked and just a great piece of art, a turbaned man.
So in conclusion, get 1 or 6 :lol: and love it, smoke it and be happy. If it does chip, it becomes character, and a memory.
You may want to send a PM to one of our members, Fred, whom is a sort of meer guru.

cesconable

Lurker
Jan 12, 2012
Virginia
Thanks for the reply dragon. I am not one to appreciate a pipe or any thing I own from a case or shelve. I want to buy pipes to smoke them. Your replies definitely helped. I had figured most of what you said were true but needed some reassurance.
I am going to purchase an Eagle Claw Meer at some point in the near future and will probably use it for morning and evening smoke sessions. Until than I'll be picking up a cob and some sort of briar for more of a utility use..
Maybe even a cheap Meer. Would that be a bad idea? Do they smoke so much differently than a quality meer that I would be put off by it's lower quality?

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
Yes a meer does smoke different. My first one was many months ago, VS the decades I smoked briars. I get so much more out of the tobacco than in any of my woods, but, that is just my opinion and YMMV.
I am on the hunt now to get a bent apple with no carving just to smoke a lot in the shop, so go for a 'cheap' one, you will enjoy the tobacco just as much as the art ones.
:puffy:

cesconable

Lurker
Jan 12, 2012
Virginia
I hadn't seen all of these replies previous to Dragon's...I apologize if it seems like I ignored all of the other replies. Thank you for all of your insight. It really helps.
I'm not against picking up a briar...in fact I want to own a cob, briar, and meer to start with. I have seen many a meer go for well over 100$...it seems the price is in most cases a direct reflection of the quality. Having said that...I have seen what appear to be legitimately higher quality meers, specifically in the eagle claw format, go for a modest price...$70-150.
I am entertaining the idea of other shapes. I am most attracted to smooth, billiard / egg/ apple/ etc; shapes with a bent stem. I'm not too fond of the straight stemmed pipes but I have yet to experience any pipe period...so my ideal may change.
I won't pick up a pipe just to have one though...even if it is higher quality of any material...we should love the pipe we are smoking right? Right now the Eagle Claw Meer is the most attractive imo. I'm also fond of the selection of Briar's that Bjarne offer.
I am about to head down to a local tobacco shop and see if anything strikes my fancy. I am sure to pick up a cob (hopefully a country gent or great dane) along with an affordable briar and some tobacco (which...I still have to find out what will suit my tastes...I'll be sure to pick up sampler packs).

smokindragon

Lurker
Jan 6, 2012
I have multiple Meer's (one of which is a very large reverse claw and bowl) and love the pipes both for the artistic and smoking qualities. However, I can attest that they are certainly less forgiving than briar or any other wood pipe. A nice bison-head meer my father had that I now have in my collection has a chipped ear from him knocking it on his table once. The other problem is that most meer's (at least the ones I have) are much larger and rather bulky to move around with while smoking. And they are more sensitive to drastic temp changes. Had a gentleman come in to the tobacco store I worked in and he was lamenting his broken pipe that cracked due to a drastic change in temp (I think he said he opened a door to let his dog out in the winter, but my memory is a bit hazy on the story). Since I didn't see the pipe, I'm not sure what quality it was but it made me think twice about how I treat my good meer pipes. I also have one I bought used (it was a dragon and I couldn't pass it up) but the previous owner may have been a bit rough on cleaning as the stem is quite loose.

I tend to smoke my meer's when I know I'll be sitting and relaxing and not moving around much. I don't don a white glove or anything to prevent putting finger oils on the pipe when warm, but I do try to hold them by the stems as much as possible just in case. If I'm really in the mood for smoking from a meer and might be moving around inside, I will normally grab my small, scripted bowl meer as it's realively light and able to stay in my mouth... all my others are too big for that.

If you're looking for an alternate to a briar and want something something a little more rugged (and not going to break the bank), you might try a clay pipe. They're getting harder to find and normally are pretty small sized pipes, but I've got a couple and they are fun to smoke, and from what I've read are a bit more tolerant of temperature changes and knocks and drops, although I haven't really tested that yet.

Just my $0.02 and experience with them.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I started out just like you. I really wanted a Meer. I wanted an apple shape, but I really wasn't hung up on one. I still don't have my apple because I landed a deal on Ebay for a billiard, which I snagged for only $10.99. It turned out to be a great pipe. While I was hunting, I lurked on this forum and saw how many kinds of briar pipe were out there. I decided to get one since I wanted to be able to properly smoke my meer when I got it. After trying briar, I was hooked and bought 2 more as well as a MM Cob.
I wouldn't say I baby my Meer, but I don't carry it if I'm going to be banging around in the brush or on a boat or anywhere where there is a risk of it getting wet, lost or beat up. I use the cob for that, or one of my inexpensive briars, like the Dr. Grabow.
To get the Meer that's right for you, search around and find the brand names that are known to be quality. Mine is a Paykoc, but CAO and Altinok are also known to be very good. Don't be afraid to ask questions to whatever seller you deal with before you buy. If you are bidding online, make sure you get the length, bowl height, chamber width and chamber depth so you know you are getting the size you want. Also make sure the seller has several high-quality detailed pictures. Mine came with a damaged mortise that I had to replace, but it still cost $14.99 total for a $60 or $70 pipe.

Jul 12, 2011
Here is one that my two sons got me for my bday; It is an IMP/Large Rusticated Apple w/Silver think in the $100-$130 range/worth every penny-IMO)...the thing smokes like a dream, I'm now going back and smoking all my bacci only to find so many more pleasures from them :puffy:
002-316-2056-516x600.jpg

Jul 12, 2011
Thanks bro, she is smoke'in like a dream-come-true...really like IMP Meers, great look/feel and looks even better in-person...like I said, I'm now going through all my fav blends only to find even greater pleasure out of them...

cesconable

Lurker
Jan 12, 2012
Virginia
@ baronsamedi: I'm sure many of you can relate to how I'm starting out haha. I am already under the impression that I will need at least 3 pipes starting out...maybe not need..I'm still looking around and have came across altinok and feel pretty confident in their products. I feel it would be worth the wait. Seems legit. Until then I'm off to pick up a Dr. Grabow, Kaywoodie, etc for regular use; as well as a Cob. I don't particularly like the aesthetic value of a cob...but I won't dismiss it. How can you beat the value you get from them?
Unfortunately...I'll be heading to Rite-Aid in order to get said cob, maybe a briar, and a few samples of tobacco. It feels like a lot to get into (so many types of tobacco) but I won't know what I like until I try them right? Resorting to OTC baccy is just a result of my impatience.
I'm going to be making a purchase online at some point this weekend to pick up some quality tobacco and maybe that meer.
@smokingdragon Just another reinforced reason as to why the meer, in my eyes, is more of an evening delicacy. Nonetheless I highly desire one..even if it isn't advisable to carry it around. I like the idea of it being a bit bigger. Seems proper for it to be large...especially if it's meant to be enjoyed on a quiet evening.
@thesmokingdragon I've been looking at the IMP's products. Good looking pipe. Good to hear you're enjoying it!
Doesn't it strike anyone else as odd that simple bowl shapes are just as expensive, if not more, than elegantly carved shapes?

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Until then I'm off to pick up a Dr. Grabow, Kaywoodie, etc for regular use; as well as a Cob.
Aaah yes. The first signs of PAD. Makes me all teary *sniff* lol
If you shop online smokingpipes and pipesandcigars are both great places to buy. You may be surprised at how well you take to drugstore blends and a plain old Dr. Grabow and as long as you buy a Missouri Meerschaum Cob, you can't lose, wherever you bought it from. There are guys on here who smoke those most of the time and love them. I started with Captain Black White and a no-name English Estate pipe and I was happy as a clam, though like you, I want to try lots of stuff.
If you want a nicer cob, thesmokingdragon retrofits Missouri Meerschaum bowls with cool looking stems and sells them for a reasonable price. unclearthur will also make you an improved stem for your MM at a good price.
Nothing smokes quite like a meerschaum though. You're sure to enjoy it.

Jul 12, 2011
Here are some examples of the custom cobs...I should have some new ones ready this weekend w/solid black stems, same style stem molds
sdragoncob-gw-600x448.jpg

sdragoncob-cr-600x448.jpg

sdragon-egg-cob-bamboo-roseswirl2-600x248.jpg

customcobblueswilrssband-448x600.jpg

cesconable

Lurker
Jan 12, 2012
Virginia
That's incredible. I love the second and third examples. I may be taking you up on a cob smokingdragon. Those are definitely pipes I can see myself smoking consistently. What do you use Acrylic?
I do tend to take up a hobby with a vengeance. I'll probably have 3 or 4 pipes by the end of next week as well as more tobacco than I thought I'd ever need haha.
Well now's for real haha. I still haven't left my desk..I'll let ya's know what I end up picking up. I'm looking at Captain Black White, Velvet (I remember enjoying Velvet a few years ago), Middleton Cherry, H&H, Sail Green, and Carter Hall.

dhintonca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
My 0.02 worth -- if you're looking to buy tobacco based on the otc of a few years ago, be prepared for a surprise. A lot of them have changed due to different blenders, different crops, etc. I picked up some Green Sail last month - which had been my go-to brand for years in the 1960-70s, and it's just horrible now! (To me, at any rate). Here in BC Canada it's $30 a 50g pouch, so I'm bummed! :-(

Jul 12, 2011
I use lucite on the cobs, pretty much can do any color combo you like,

Rose swirl, fire swirl (have to order some as others want as well), solid black (I have some in-stock), blue swirl (have one in-stock)

cesconable

Lurker
Jan 12, 2012
Virginia
I'll be sending you a PM TSD. I am interested in picking up a cob from you at some point.
I just got back from rite-aid. What should of taken no more than 10 minutes took me about 90..haha.
I walked in and felt rushed so I ended up getting the first thing that caught my eye...a Dr.Grabow Royal Duke and a pouch of Captain Black White (as well as a Fiji Water and an Arizona Iced Tea). At $43 I feel like I did well.
My plan to wait until I got home from work this evening to smoke a bowl or two turned into me greedily tearing open the pipe and spending a bit of time reading the packaging on both the baccy and piece. I tore out the filter (the stem was quite tight and I was scared I was about to break it already) and smelled the CBW for a bit.
Man oh man that CBW smelled amazing! I had to have some now.
Of course in the midst of my rush and go tactic I forgot three (crucial?) pieces of equipment. Pipe cleaners, wood matches, and the ..(what the hell is it called?) pipe tool..
I had a lighter and book of matches luckily so I figured I'd go with it, opting for the book of matches.
I lightly packed my bowl with some tobacco and gently pressed it in. Long story short the bowl took me a whole ten minutes to finish. 1 relight not counting the false light and "real" light. I don't think I packed it tight enough.
I definitely got some "burn" from my initial toking but after that it was smooth sailing. I can't say I'm overly impressed with the blend but it does the trick. I got, at times, a somewhat "cigar" taste but this was my first bowl.
I'm going to place an order for some more after I post this. Probably one of the samplers PipesandCigars has available.
I dropped by the post office and once I got into work I packed about half a bowl and repeated the process....let's just say I'm almost out of matches haha.
I'll learn.
Remember earlier when I said I wanted a smooth bent bowl? Well my Grabow is straight and rustic (I believe, carved looking)
Oh one more note...Briar feels ....almost cheap. I was surprised it didn't look and feel more like wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.