Couple Of Helpful Hints Through Trial And Error.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhhiggy

Lurker
Jun 23, 2019
So I have been at the hobby for about a month and a half and really quite enjoying it. Yes I smoke mostly aromatics but I’ve got to say I’ve got some H&H Anniversary Cake which I’m developing a liking to. My experience is teaching me with the moister Aromatics to put what ever I am going to smoke put a bit out on a plate to dry a bit and pack fairy loose. That way I’m finding I can smoke most to the bottom of the bowl with little to any dottle. Hope that helps some of my newby brothers and sisters.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
I concur wholeheartedly. Although, the flavor can be dried out of some blends that I smoke. So, I'm careful not to let some of my tobaccos sit for too long before packing them in the bowl.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It may just be my locale and humidity or personal preference, but I find either drying leaf in a bowl or packing the pipe the night before nearly always improves the smoke. You don't want to smoke dust, but dryer tends to be better in many cases. I use a lot of jars, since I am a moderate smoker and can have a blend on hand for years, but when actually setting up for a smoke, a little drying is nearly always an improvement. So I second the original post's motion.

szconrad

Lurker
Oct 24, 2018
I've also found that drying time is great for most tobaccos. I live generally with English or non-Aromatic tobaccos, and a good 30 minutes on the table before my smoke is always helpful. (If not for the re-lights, then also definitely for the improvement of taste).

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Most experienced smokers have learned that drying one's tobacco improves the flavor because excess moisture masks the flavor. Those of us who prefer to smoke Virginias or Va/Pers tend to dry out our tobacco considerably, especially if we're outside only smokers. With aros there's a fine point where too moist or too dry, some flavor is lost and it can vary from blend to blend. On the few occasions that I smoke an aro I'll leave it just slightly moister than Virginia, which I smoke at just shy of bone dry for the most flavor. Just experiment to see what works best for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.