Couple New Tools And The Return Of An Old Favorite.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Years ago when I was just starting trying to smoke a pipe I had bought a tin of Erinmore flakes because I had seen it in a movie. No I knew nothing about smoking flakes as my Grandda had only smoked Sail Green but I was determined to try it. A grand disaster to say the least, I remember rolling the flake like a piece of gum and stuffing it into the pipe. I knew nothing of doing a charring light, then tight packing was no good, important things. I lit and puffed, puffed and lit, and single mindedly burned through the flakes with zero finesse or skill. I loved the jucyfruit taste, the smell of fruits and virginias mixed together..... I hated scalding my tongue like a piece of steamed leather or turning my cheapo pipe into a furnace with a stem.

Jump 20yrs later and I'm standing in my B+M trying to decide what flavor of tobacco I will try this week. I'm leaning toward Germain Plumcake but not sure about the "Wine flavor" as I'm not a wine drinker when in the corner I spy a familiar yellow label with the red flash in the middle. My mind flashed back to the experience of my youth and I am hesitant to repeat it again it again but then I tell myself "Your aren't the little kid you used to be" and buy the tin. Lasted night I cracked the tin and was immediately met with that familiar fruity smell, the flakes were a deep brown, wide and double stacked. The flake was a tad moist but not wet as I folded and stuffed it into the Chacom Billiard I have chosen for this experience. A charring light then a relight and I was lost in the memory of twenty years ago, the taste of juicyfruit gum and virginias danced together across my tongue. It was minder then I remembered and even more flavorful, knowing a little more then I did 20yrs ago a sat back and slowly enjoyed a bowl of what is sure to be one of my all time favorites.

I also decided to be a little industrious and creative yesterday as I had lost my favorite(last and only) pipenail. Now my B+M carried the square Brigham nails but they never work as good for me as the round nails. I was in the shop and saw a few 10" heavy nails and after a cut, heating them up and pounding the end flat, and a bit of shaping with the dremel sander, I now have some unique and heavy duty pipe nails once again!

FC1E8053-5950-403B-8BE3-B3614F9F2E56_zpsyelef9mg.jpg

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
crank oven to 190 deg, and slide unopened tin and bake for approx 6 hrs

What does that do for the flavoring? Would that dry the tobacco to a crisp being baked for 6hrs? 8O

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
No it enhances the flavor, you want to eat it when you pull it out the oven. I've done it with an opened tin, just put a sheet of aluminum foil over it then close lid over foil, you won't be disappointed if you try it.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I'll have to wait til the wife is working days on the weekend cause running the oven for 6 hr might get me shot. lol

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
How would baking them in their jars go over? Would I be better off putting the flakes back in the tin?

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
I like your pipe nails. I have a coffee can full of antique square head & shanked, hand forged nails. I may try that with a couple of them. I only have a torch to heat them with, or else place them in a fire pit.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
No jars use the tins.

I am putting a 4noggins order in after the new year and I'll be adding a few tins of Erinmore to try this with for sure. Would it work with other tobaccos like Capstan or Beacon Extra too?
I only have a torch to heat them with

Because most nails are made with a low grade of steel these nails were a glowing red hot in under a minute using just a small propane blowtorch. No forge needed for these guys.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
"Because most nails are made with a low grade of steel these nails were a glowing red hot in under a minute using just a small propane blowtorch. No forge needed for these guys."
Thanks, I'll see if I can heat a couple of them up enough to put a couple of tight twists in a square shank.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
heat a couple of them up enough to put a couple of tight twists in a square shank.

I wonder if using an adjustable tap handle would do the trick for turning the nail? Put one end in a vice and the handle on the other end and heat and twist?

17701_zps16485cc6.jpg

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
I have twisted hot rolled round bar before clamped in a vice and using a pair of vice grips, but the problem is in trying to get the twist spaced evenly and keeping the piece straight.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Yeah, that goes far beyond my meager skills. I had a buddy that was starting to build his own blacksmith shop in Texas a few years ago. If I was still spending time down there I'd have him make me some wicked tampers out of the wild motorcycle chain damascus steel he made there.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
want to make some more?

Maybe over X-mas I'll pound a few more out as "Get away from the Inlaws" kill time project. I'll have to pick up a few more spikes. Just used one for my lunch time smoke and they work great as they are heavy enough that you don't really "tamp" cause the weight of them does all the work. :D

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Tampers are great and all, but what really catches my eye is the little white sticker on the tin. Unless that price is in peso's your locale is most unfriendly to pipers. If you need a US agent to help you out just let me know. It seems a shame to pay so much for something many of us take for granted.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Unless that price is in peso's your locale is most unfriendly to pipers

That is a fairly standard price around here unfortunately, it's why I look forward to ordering from the U.S. lol

617282F4-4ABB-4795-8582-184CD287E51B_zpsjmturle8.jpg

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
Those are awesome looking pipe nails. They look way nicer and more sturdy than the (probably) Chinese one that I have. It was supposed to be Brebbia brand but it has no logo like the picture on 4Noggins. It's square and the shape drives me crazy sometimes but I like it better than a pipe tool. Nice work. :D It'll be interesting to see what else you guys produce.

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
Holy cannoli! That's crazy!! On a whim, I once bought a tin of Viliger's 1888 Mid-day for $28, from my local B&M. Hell with that... I discovered the beauty of ordering online.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
the beauty of ordering online

Ordering online is easy enough until it reaches the border and our lovely custom agents add the duty and taxes it is only marginally cheaper then buying up here. The cost of free health care. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.