PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

natibo

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
So the gym was playing the country music station this week. Did it ever occur to these country folks that their lives might be better if they didn't get drunk and then cheat on their wives, cuss their boss out, fight with their friends, and wreck their truck.
At the end of the day, light a pipe and listen to some Beethoven, Bach, etc. for a change.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Interestingly, the two forms of music I listen to most often are Country and Classical. CD-wise, my classical collection is much, much bigger than my country collection. My digital collection is more country orientated with a good mix of old school, new school, and Blue Grass.
One thing I would note: there's country music and there's Nashville music, and the two are not the same. I like country music. Bring me some Wayne Hancock and Sturgil Simpson.. You can keep the Jason Aldean and Luke Bryan.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
A family friend, years ago, owned a record shop I frequented. She told me that she couldn't understand my tastes in music, Opera and Country. I explained to her that they were one and the same. They were always about unrequited love, death, feuds, and other tragic circumstances. The only real differences being that opera was usually in a foreign language with more instruments. Then Chet got a hold of Country music and all of sudden there were brass and violins playing, with the Greek chorus in the background and the two genres got even closer together.
Thank God, Buck, George and the others came along and got a bit more separation. I do love the honky-tonk sound. Still the story lines are pretty much the same. Some one is always doing somebody else wrong.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
I know the end is near:

I've seen the warning signs.

Been preparin' myself,

Layin' in supplies.

I bought a case of Jack,

A boxed-set of Merle:

I'm gettin' ready,

Ready for the end of the world.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I'd rather have surgery without anaesthetic, my eyes gouge out with spoons and a hot sauce enema before I listened to country! That being said to each their own and I hold no ill will for anyone who listens to it.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
I like a lot of music...except rap. When I'm in the mood country fits the bill.Funny thing though, my oldest daughter couldn't stand when I would play country in my truck, now since dating a boy who likes country, plays it ALL THE TIME! Yup, I just puked in my mouth...

metalmilitia

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 14, 2013
next time they go on a date, throw a bullet at him and tell him "they get a lot faster after curfew"

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
I love country music. Anything vaguely folk, bluegrass, irish folk, etc, i can't get enough of. I used to listen to heavy metal but I realised it was all just horrendous noise. I listen to a bit of beethoven etc, depends on the mood. Our lass hates country music though, so I don't listen half as often as I used to, or as I'd like.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I specialize in Renaissance and Baroque music but I also enjoy playing bass in Bluegrass and Old Time music. For pipe and music enjoyment there is nothing like listening to J.S. Bach's, "Die Kunst der Fuge" while puffing.
Art of the Fugue

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
I specialize in Renaissance and Baroque music but I also enjoy playing bass in Bluegrass and Old Time music. For pipe and music enjoyment there is nothing like listening to J.S. Bach's, "Die Kunst der Fuge" while puffing.
Art of the Fugue
I paused John Denver to put that on. I do not regret it. The cor anglais at the beginning is beautiful.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
"Heavy metal forever..."

Well, both heavy metal and country artists wear the same sparkly outfits with leather vests and chaps.

Dec 24, 2012
I am a big fan of old school "outlaw" country. Cash. Willie. Waylon. Kristofferson. Haggard. Doesn't get any better than that in my view.
I saw Johnny Cash perform at Massey Hall in the 1990s. I knew a guy on the Massey Hall board and he got me backstage to meet him. We shook hands and he signed a photo for me from his American Recordings album. One of the highlights of my life, lol.

Aug 1, 2012
Just as with all other types of music, there are many different eras and types of country. Some are more to my taste and others less but opinions are like...anyway here's one of my recent favorites. if it's too bad, feel free to remove the link.

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT AHEAD!
8O
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ5YUKIM1Kc

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
anglesey: "The cor anglais at the beginning is beautiful."
It is, and I also like the cornetto and sackbut in there as well. I bought a cornetto from Christopher Monk many years ago but only managed to squawk out a few notes before nearly having a stroke from the back pressure. Maybe someday I'll give it another run. The recorder works in the fiddle tunes we play and it's much easier to manage!

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
30 years ago, the Country Music Assc. decided to eliminate Western from Country. Those old enough probably remember when the format was called Country & Western. Many in the industry now refer to the music coming out of Nashville as Hillbilly Pop. Everything is way over-produced and most originality is loss. Substance is gone and the music is hard to take seriously. I absolutely hate it and much prefer Western.

Status
Not open for further replies.