PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

justinm91

Lurker
Feb 27, 2015
I just got mine in the mail today. After starting with a few briars, I got one for when I go fishing.. which I am also going to re-pick up after not doing for a while.. It's actually a pretty decent looking pipe. The shank is set below where most say cobs have them. There's no room for tobacco to fall beneath. The finish is smooth, and I oddly like how it looks. Almost what comes to mind when I think of native American style corn in the coloring. The stem meanwhile seems a slight loose. It moves left and right easy, but surprisingly, it is actually harder to remove than my more stable stemmed Briars. Not entirely sure what's going on there, but it's not a big problem. I'm eager to try her tonight. Trying to decide what tobacco to throw into her. Also.. smells near exactly like Corn Nuts snack food.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Enjoy your new cob! All of my cobs are excellent smokers. You may want to also try some MM natural cob pipes. In my experience they smoke cooler, probably due to the greater surface area available to dissipate heat. Eatons are particularly good flake pipes.

justinm91

Lurker
Feb 27, 2015
Eatons? After much searching, I thought MM was the only Cob maker left anymore! My first pipe was actually a cob.. Probably MMs lowest cheapest model, from a Walgreens a few years ago when i turned 18. Admittedly was a cig smoker at the time and I'm glad I tried it.. Got me off them and onto much less inhaled, more delicious things in life.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Eatons? After much searching, I thought MM was the only Cob maker left anymore!
It's a model name ... MM Eaton. As Buroak stated ... a great flake (or short smoke) pipe.
decide what tobacco to throw into her.
A new cob will impart a slight "sweet corn" flavor at first which goes great with Burley.
I really enjoy smoking something like C&D Briar Fox or Carter Hall in a new cob.
Congrats on your new pipe and enjoy! :puffy:

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Eaton is a small cob MM makes. It's a nice little pipe. I like the Morgan nose warmer a lot. It'll burn anything just fine and the diameter of its bowl is just a smidge bigger so my fingertip fits into it better.

justinm91

Lurker
Feb 27, 2015
Well, sadly my selection is a bit limited.. Mostly aeromatics at the moment. Lane Very Cherry, H&H Caramel Apple, A pouch of John Bull, a pouch of Cest La Ve french vanilla,Ole Shenandoah Bootlegged tin, CAO Black tin, and Stanwell Fruit and Vanilla in a tin! Not sure which to toss in!

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
When your ready to broaden your horizons get some VA/per (GLP Haddo's Delight) and an English blend (GLP Samarra, or Westminster). Both of those will give you a good taste of what is NOT aeromatics. Most, but not all, never look back after making this change. But, you will probably need to get a couple of new cobs, aeromatics tend to ghost a pipe and I doubt you will be able to properly taste the afformentioned blends in a ghosted cob.

justinm91

Lurker
Feb 27, 2015
I happened to get pretty much all of this in one sampler with a nicer briar pipe. I'd like to get some non aeros as well, but I also very much enjoy the smell of the aeros while smoking my pipe. I actually very much disliked the John Bull, which if I am correct is NOT an aero, some english blend? Tasted and smelled like a smokehouse... minus the actual meat smell included. Not my kinda thing. Maybe in winter, but not spring!

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I have an MM Washington that I've been using for VaPers, Escudo and Six Pence, and so far results have been delicious!
I have a couple Old Dominion cobs to but they are unsmoked so far as the chamber is so small in diametre that my finger won't fit in them. They are however very nice looking cobs.
My MM stem had a wee wiggle too. I lightly sanded the seams left by the molding process and that took care of the wiggle. :puffy:

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Jkrug - Smoke the Old Dominions. They are pretty nice little smokes. I had the same problem with the smallest OD Cob (the Chesapeake I believe). My pinkie and my tamper/pipe nail didn't fit. I had to opt for the ever-classy machine screw option as a tamper. It works and the cob was nice for a little 10 minute smoke (Prince Albert). Also, the reed stem is more comfortable than you'd think.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
I have several CG's. I'm not normally a fan of pokers but I modified one of my CG's into one and it is a favorite now.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
"I apologize, but, Pokers?"
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/whats-a-poker
Technically I guess the CG should be thought of more as a tankard or a barrel than a poker because the sides aren't straight. But I think of the one I modified as a poker because I put a short bit in it and it certainly has a flat bottom and is a sitter.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
"A nosewarmer! Yes? Short 'n stubby?"
I have a straight MM Great Dane Egg that I have done the same thing to, for when I want a hands-free flake pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.