PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I know a ballpark figure on my pipe population, but like many others have written on Forums, I am reluctant to do an actual count. Why? I'm not a big quantitative thinker, but this is not calculus. Why not just count 'em up. You might miss one or two, but we could all get pretty close to the correct number, if not spot on. Embarrassed about too many? Ashamed? Just lost in the dazzle of all those bowls and stems? Twenty minutes or less of patient counting would reveal the (terrible?) truth. Why, or why not?

Jan 8, 2013
No reason to be ashamed or embarrassed, in my opinion. If you enjoy collecting pipes, who cares what anyone else thinks about it. It's your money, not theirs, do as you like. At my last count, I had 50 something. I like pipes, like buying more, could probably spend my money on more important things... but who cares? I know when another pipe pops up that I like, if I have the funds I'm probably going to purchase it. And I'll be happy about, probably post it here on the forums and all over Facebook as if I accomplished some wonderfully fantastic great achievement.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
mso, you made me get off of my lazy ass and actually count my pipes. I knew I had 80 something but the official count is 85. I really should move some that I rarely smoke to a better home.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Twenty minutes or less of patient counting would reveal the (terrible?) truth. Why, or why not?
Too many places I'd have to look. I have them in several racks in the house, in the console in the car, probably in the trunk, in a couple of Wal-Mart bags I haven't brought back *in* from the car yet... (Oh, get those looks off your faces -- these aren't *your* phones! -laugh-) My best estimate (knowing what I had when & what I've acquired since) would conservatively be 110+ or thereabouts.
B

fusion

Might Stick Around
May 18, 2019
8 in smoking condition with a new one in the post, about 10 more in need of restoration (just beaters to practice on)

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
I think I have 8 pipes. Not looking to buy anymore either. I smoke 2 or 3 of them regularly and the rest just sit there. :puffy:

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I really should move some that I rarely smoke to a better home.
I have space for however many of your Rad Davis that are sitting idle. For that matter, any of your pipe would get attention as I saw no dogs in your collection. :worship:

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I keep a spread sheet with details on each pipe. So yes, I do count them.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I have 7 that I consider as display pieces because I may smoke them once a year. I have around 40 thatI keep in smoking condition. I've either sold or given away 10 pipes in the last 6 months.

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
I have about 30 pipes and 15 cobs. Most are in the $80 to $120 range. I do not own any high dollar pipes. I am more of a tobacco guy than pipes. Although, I do admire some of the pipe collections people on this site have. I have a definite appreciation for a really nice high quality pipe.
We each choose where to spend our money. Some like me, on tobacco, others on pipes, and still others on both! It's your money, you spend it any way you want.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Mark, I actually have one Rad in my collection that i am not smoking. It is a poker and it has a nasty Lakeland ghost. I just pulled it from my rack and am doing the coffee thing to it. Thanks for reminding me I have been meaning to do this for around a year now.

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
MSO, thanks for the thought provoking post. No real need to share my numbers with the group but would like to add some questions to the fray. When did we lose count? What percentage of us have a good idea of how many we have and how many don't?
Not to leave your question ignored, I don't have a lot but also don't know for sure. I think I lost count partly because at a certain point I promised myself I was done purchasing and was for a while. I then violated my own pact and starting buying and haven't stopped. I love the pipes I own and use all of them (told ya it wasn't a mountain...yet). I think most of all is that I understand that anything over 7 was more than I planned and I am not a huge fan on gratuitous spending on myself.
In other news I am awaiting my 2nd pre-transition Barling in the mail any day now....
j/B

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Now that you made me do it, 18 briars, with 2 more, a meer, and 3 cobs on the way. So I guess that brings the total to 24. 26 if you count the tandem stems for a couple sav/nordings.
But I'll stopping buying them after the next one, honey, I promise! One for each day of the month has a nice ring to it though....and there is those few wish list pipes I've had my eye on......and of course there's those new savinelli shapes I've never seen before.......and I've always wanted a 60s Dunhill Billiard and one just became available......and I don't have a pipe yet that is only for blends that contain exclusively Virginia/Oriental/Perique/Cavendish,and Latakia crumble cakes.........

Status
Not open for further replies.