Could some pal help me verify the authenticity of this Peterson?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
During the 1970’s Peterson had a large display of pipes in the Shannon Airport Duty Free Shop for passengers. These were on display in a floor cabinet measuring approximately 6 ‘x 3’. Shannon airport outlet sold a considerable amount of pipes during its period of existence, covering all qualities, from the basic entry level Aran series up to the De Luxe Systems.
http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/lettres/le-une-lettre.html

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
Do you have a particular reason for doubting its authenticity? It looks like a completely typical Peterson Aran to me. It's a sub-$100 pipe new, not something worth the trouble of counterfeiting.

gamxiaoyuan

Might Stick Around
Sep 12, 2014
China
@tppytel

Thanks buddy. I'm in China where forgeries are everywhere. Someone offers me a deal of 50$ for a new one that he brought 2 years ago. I'm thinking whether to take it or not.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
There's no way that anyone can "verify" the authenticity of this pipe without actually inspecting it in person. Because it's an entry level Peterson, there seems to be little reason to go to the trouble of making a fake. But as you're in China, where forgery makes up a significant percentage of the economic activity, the odds shift a little. BTW, there is a large fill in the rim of this pipe. You might want to look it over carefully. But even if it's a fake, if it's a good smoker, who cares? You're not buying a collectible.

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
OK, didn't realize you were in China. I compared it to a recent Peterson Aran off my shelf and the stamping looks identical, right down to sizes and shapes of letters. $50 is a fine deal on an Aran if you like the shape. I love the series too, and own a couple of them. They're fine smokers for the price and the color deepens nicely with age.

gamxiaoyuan

Might Stick Around
Sep 12, 2014
China
@sablebrush52

Thanks pal. I'm afraid I have to agree with you about the Chinese economic thing, although I'm a native Chinese.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I'm no expert, but that isn't exactly a choice cut of briar, is it?
That fill or flaw on the rim would be a deal breaker for me if that were a new pipe.
Is that typical for quality for that line?

carcosa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2013
Good point tuold, although it does look authentic, though I'm no expert either but I do own 6 Petes.

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
Arans are a low end line for Peterson, so grain quality is hit-or-miss. You can find nicely grained ones if you're patient and lucky - I have two, a cross-cut and a straight grain, both very tight. But I've seen plenty online with washy grain like that one. Fills are to be expected at that level as well, though I agree that's a rather glaring one on the rim. My Arans have fills, but much smaller and less conspicuous than that. Overall, I'd say the pictured pipe is a relatively weak cosmetic example compared to the Arans I've seen.

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
@Russ - Do you have an Aran in hand, or only the higher grades? I understand what you're trying to describe, but both of my Arans have "soft" stamping exactly like what's shown in the picture. Details match right down to the location of the raised metal bits in the interior of the big P. I have other Petes with crisp stamps, but the Arans don't appear to use the same kind of equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.