Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Could One Sprinkle Brown Sugar Into Tobacco?

(22 posts)
  1. jmatt

jmatt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There's two recent tongue-in-check (I hope) threads about putting odd stuff into tobacco. But that got me thinking, what would happen if you added your own sugar crystals to any existing pipe blend? I'm not talking tons, but what about a trace amount of brown sugar mixed into a bowl of tobacco? Would smoking/burning brown sugar be bad for you? Taste bad? Smell bad? Or would the sweetness and flavor carry into the bowl?

Posted 3 years ago #
  2. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You could ld, but I wouldnt advise it. Have ypu ever smelled burning sugar? Just adding some sugar to the bowl is not exactly the same as having it soaked into the tobacco. YMMV

Michael
    Posted 3 years ago #
  3. jmatt

jmatt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cosmic - I agree. But then we have conversations and even close-up pictures of "sugar crystals" on the surface of aged tobacco......

Posted 3 years ago #
  4. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

By all means try it out and less us know how it tastes.

Stan
    Godfrey Daniels!!
    The Plenipotent Key to Cope's Correct Card of the Peerless Pilgrimage to Saint Nicotine of the Holy Herb:
    Posted 3 years ago #
  5. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In my own estimation of what people are calling sugar crystals, they are not sweet to the tongue like sugar. I believe that I read somewhere, maybe a Greg Pease blog, that they are minerals rising from the tobacco in the same way that crystals do from rocks.

Posted 3 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

jitterbugdude

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Try it but it probably would not do what you are looking for. I recently did something similar. I had a strong Burley that I wanted to lower the nicotine level on. I decided to add sugar, dissolved in water. This would lower the pH as the leaf burns thus lowering the bio-availability of the nicotine. I added 2%, 5% and 10% white sugar dissolved in water and added it to the Burley. I also did this using brown sugar. The white sugar did not improve the flavor of the leaf but it did lower the nicotine. The brown sugar just tasted plain terrible. I kept the white sugar Burley but threw away the brown sugar stuff.

Posted 3 years ago #
  7. jmatt

jmatt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks jitterbugdude! I won't be doing any experiments myself. Thanks for the info.

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

kimbiker

Login to Send PM

Try Samuel Gawiths brown sugar flake seems the way to go.

Posted 3 years ago #
  9. stvalentine

stvalentine

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I used a white sugar/water/booze solution as a bonding agent when pressing my own plug.

"Ride it like you stole it!"

The Old Swede
    Posted 3 years ago #
  10. leacha

leacha

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I used to coat new pipes with a thin layer of honey. No adverse tastes. So actually having a small amount in the baccy may give a caramel taste. The only way to know, is to do it. You will not break anything.

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are natural occurring sugars in tobacco leaf. These are not sucrose but one of the subsets of sugars, more than likely glucose. That being said, as others have pointed out, adding raw sugar would just produce the acrid burnt sugar smell from caramelization of the crystals.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  12. clickklick

clickklick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Do it once and let us know. I say once, because you'll never do it a second time LOL!

Also, as has been alluded to. The crystals on aged tobacco are not sugar. Taste them once, are they sweet?

Could be part minerals could be part natural oil byproduct, could be anaerobic and aerobic excrement.

Hobbyist Pipemaker - Carmette Pipes
    Posted 3 years ago #
  13. jmill208

jmill208

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Forge on.
    Who knows, you may invent Type 3 Diabetes.

Posted 3 years ago #
  14. derfargin

derfargin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, might improve the taste, but only if you plan on eating it. Big emphasis on "might"

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  15. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I had a strong Burley that I wanted to lower the nicotine level on.

If that's a high-powered Burley I haven't heard of, you'll be so good as to give me a heads-up?

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 3 years ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Many of the old-time Burleys like Mechanic's Delight and Honest were cased with 4th-run maple sugar (too dark to sell as syrup, even adulterated).

They were pretty good.

Posted 3 years ago #
  17. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Two thoughts, a concentration of sugar that melts might gunk up a pipe. A little honey in a new pipe, or sugar used in blending tobacco introduce very low quantities. Second, as any home candy maker will tell you, nothing short of napalm burns like hot sugar. Since pipes can emit a few live embers from time to time, you really don't want combusting sugar lighting up your lap, so care might be taken.

Posted 3 years ago #
  18. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A point of info: I once wet the chamber of a new pipe that had a coating that wouldn't wash off. Then filled it with white sugar, dumped it out, and let the coating dry. Scraped out the excess in the bottom. Broke it in that way, never tasted the coating, and the pipe came out fine. No taste of burnt sugar while smoking, either.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

jitterbugdude

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Who knows, you may invent Type 3 Diabetes.

It already exists, it's called Alzheimer's Disease (AD). Although not common yet it is being used more and more by the medical community. One of the things about AD is that the brain's neurons become insensitive to glucose. Much research is being conducted with this in mind.

If that's a high-powered Burley I haven't heard of, you'll be so good as to give me a heads-up

DeathMeatal, This was something I grew called Yellow Twist Bud. It is a very old heirloom variety and is supposed to be one of the most mildest Burley's out there. I had just fertilized my garden when I grew this, adding among other things some Nitrogen (based on a soil test). Adding Nitrogen will increase the Nicotine level of tobacco. I keep a lot of records so now I know what level of Nitrogen I do NOT want.

Two thoughts, a concentration of sugar that melts might gunk up a pipe.

Cigarette tobacco has 3-6% invert sugar added to it, that's why I used the percentages I did. I know most pipe tobacco also has sugar added to it ( but do not know how much) so I stuck with the cigarette % as a reference.

Posted 3 years ago #
  20. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think you should mix Welch's grape jelly in your tobacco. See how that tastes.

Harris
    Posted 3 years ago #
  21. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Kool Aid

Posted 3 years ago #
  22. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tootsie Roll inserted in the bowl whole and lit.

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jpmcwjr, jaytex969, laniromee, cdmjr, jiminks, danimalia