PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
Gentlemen,
So I sat down to give my pipe another go, this is my 4th go at it and thanks to everyone’s help here I am improving. The session was going decent “as well as a beginner can expect" when I ran into an issue. About half way through I could not relight the bowl.
The tobacco had been dried for about 40 minutes and was not an issue in the first half.
I did not have any gargling noises coming from the bowl and when I ended up emptying the bowl the tobacco was not moist.
And yes I was puffing during my relight attempt. Any thoughts?

sjfine

Mar 4, 2012
I am abjectly unqualified to give advice, but I have come to approach lighting a pipe like I light a fire. The kindling, the build, and patience are all important factors.
I use a stuff/air pocket method to pack my pipes. My initial draw is very loose. I spend some time charring and tamping the first few lights; sometimes it takes longer than other times to prime the tobacco. Then I light the center of the bowl, trying to avoid lighting the entire surface. I repair the light as I go, as needed, without caring very much about how often I need to relight.
I consider my screw ups as learning experiences. Since I'm still in pipe-diapers (smoking them for only about a year, now), I don't get too frustrated.
After my fourth bowl, I burned my tongue so badly that I still have scars. I have learned so much in the past year. I have actually started to develop my own ritual. Pipes are becoming as much a part of me as my Cuban cigars were for the past decade or so.
Stick with it. Read. Watch videos. Try different methods of packing, lighting, drying, sipping, etc. Try different pipes (as you are able to afford them without taking out a second mortgage - a great deal more difficult to avoid than you might think).
It has been more than worth it for me.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Did you tamp the ash down? Maybe you just weren't getting flame to the burnable tobacco at some point....

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Did you tamp the ash down? Maybe you just weren't getting flame to the burnable tobacco at some point....
+1
Ash can protect the tobacco from the heat. Otherwise, my only other guess is that there wasn't enough tobacco in the bowl to really catch.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I have this problem once in a while. I solve the problem by pouring out all of the white ash. I also lightly loosen any white ash that won't pour out with the poker on my pipe tool and pour it into the ash tray, then I relight. I think the ash prevents the flame from reaching the burnable tobacco. This technique works for me.

seaninkitale

Lurker
Nov 25, 2012
Good tips. I had my best smoke with a pipe last week. I was tamping as I smoked, but I never poured out the top ash. Then again, I didn't have any problem with lighting or re-lighting. I will keep it in mind if I have that problem in the future.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Dumping ash is key to enjoying your tobacco in my experience. I usually dump 2-4 times per bowl, it definitely impedes your ability to relight. Use the pick end of your tamper to loosen it and then carefully tilt your bowl and let it drop.

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
Thanks, every time I smoke my pipe I learn something new. I did tamp but never dumped any ash. Will do next time

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
Dont pack too tightly, Ash dump, light light tamp, form a small mound in center of bowl if you can and re- light in center, I have had no problems with that.
All good advice here

Status
Not open for further replies.