Could I Be An Oriental Fan? After All This Time?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
For my entire piping life (5 or so years) I've avoided Oriental tobaccos very purposefully. I smoked EMP once, which I believe has oriental, hated the experience, and never revisited. I've slowly built a modest cellar full of quality Virginias, VaPers, and Latakia blends which are gaining age....there is no burley (keep trying it, keep hating it) and no Virginia.
Except....that one little jar of Frog Morton On the Town which I never got around to trying. I didn't really realize that Basma was an oriental leaf. Yesterday, randomly, I popped it open and tried it.
And freaking loved it. Tried it again today. And freaking loved it.
Holy crap, after buying and cellaring all this tobacco and making darn sure nothing had orientals....could I have been astray all this time?

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
You know, I was wondering where you had gone off to!
I really dislike EMP. Never could get it to work for me, and I'm not sure why--it just had this acrid sourness to it. On the Town will be in my next order. Haven't met a Frog I didn't like yet.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I really like On the Town, it also ages very well, picked up a tin of '09 at my local B&M the other day.

fmgee

Sep 26, 2014
I have to put a vote in for Skiff Mixture. I am yet to try EMP but I have a tin in the mail.

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
Of course Skiff Mixture and London Mixture are very good orientals, and needless to say... Penzance. I'm personally more of a balkan fan, and I think balkans and orientals are very closely related, so it doesn't hurt to try some of them too.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Yes, you have been astray, but you only hurt yourself so all is forgiven. You may, in truth, not like the sharper, more sour Turkish style blends,but like the Greek/Macedonian leaf. Stay away from Durbar, Rajah's Court and (it pains me to say this) Red Rapparee. Try Presbyterian, the McClelland Grand Oriental line (especially the Drama, Yenice Agonya and Katerini), McClelland Virginia No. 24 and McConnell Oriental.
Remember that Oriental is like Virginia, it improves with age. Don't get disappointed if you open a fresh tin, and the it's not quite as magical as this tin. Just buy and wait.

mrbigglesworth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2015
Winston Salem, NC
I am really into some FM Across the Pond right now. I am discovering all kinds of wonderful tastes with the orientals. It makes me want to broaden the horizons of orientals. Ironic that you posted this, tarak, because I was just wondering the same about myself recently. :)

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
That's great input @lochinvar- since I've sort of avoided them, I know nothing about them. Sounds like Drama/Basma may be my jam. I almost ordered both Virginia 24 and Drama Reserve on the order I just put in, but then didn't. Doh.

hakchuma

Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
Orientals were the last tobacco variety that I could distinguish in a blend. Took me two years then it was like a light bulb that went off in my head and I was like 'ah OK'. But I know I'm weird so....

graydawn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2014
McClelland Grand Orientals are exceedingly well crafted. Samsun is added to many of my straight Virginias.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
When I was a preteen, I loved Camel cigarettes, which actually had some Oriental flavor back then. Now I get most of my Orientals kick from English blends, where those tobaccos are an essential ingredient.

Status
Not open for further replies.