PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
If you're in London, are Dunhill pipes relatively inexpensive, say, the equivalent of what a Peterson would cost across the Atlantic, or are they still sold at spectacular prices of the equivalent of $500+ dollars? I ask because a friend of mine is visiting England soon and I thought this could be an opportunity to get a new Dunhill billiard?

framitz

Can't Leave
Oct 25, 2013
Expensive there also go to al pascia advertiser here Italy better exchange, rate. Shel

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
At this moment the 1USD = 0.74GBP. So, a bit cheaper there than in the US. Of course that depends on what the US dealer paid for the pipe.
edit: The Dollar is even stronger than the Euro right this moment. So, prices should beat mainland Europe also.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
One thing to remember is that prices in England generally include VAT of about 17%. Sales out of the EU exclude the VAT. So what ever the price is in England reduce it by 17%. It is a much cleaner deal if ordered from here. Purchases done in the EU can apply for the VAT to be rebated but it is a long process.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Last time I was in Europe I simply put my VAT card into the machine at Shannon Airport. The refund was at my home almost before me. If you do transactions without the card, some retailers don't participate, get the form at the airport, fill it out and drop it there. Remember to hang onto receipts for items not on the card for submission along with the form. You may be able to skip the VAT by having the vendor ship to your residence in the US also. A bit more cost though.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Or you could get two or three beautiful domestic artisanal pipes for the same money, handmade and gorgeous.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
All true but a lot of people want at least one Dunhill. They represent the quintessential British pipe so if you can afford the splurge one time then fine. I don't doubt that there re better pipes today but the Dunhills are special for their history and iconic place in the pipe world.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Thanks, fellows. Not quite as cheap as I was hoping, but I suppose I didn't expect otherwise. So that means your average Brit doesn't use the pipe that is virtually synonymous with England? What a shame.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Just to be correct: VAT in the UK is 20%, not 17%.
There are plenty of online retailers which sell Dunhills (White Spots) from £225 to £400 and above, say $200 to $350 or so. That would include VAT.
I agree that there is something iconic about them and many people, including myself, would love to have just one of them.
Mike

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
So that means your average Brit doesn't use the pipe that is virtually synonymous with England?
You mean like Sasieni, Comoy's, Ashford, Barling, Hardcastle, BBB, etc. Dunhill doesn't immediately jump to the front of my mind when I think "English" pipe. Like Warren said, they were primarily for the upper class. I have two birth years now, but only out of the novelty of having them. Jesse's not kidding when he talks about what great smokers Barlings are.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
Except for Ashford the other makes are now of lesser quality. If you don,t want to spring for a Dunhill your choices are more limited. Personally I think Dunhills are worth the prices from Pascia and Smoke-King. From the US vendors-not so much.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Dunghill = vastly overpriced mass produced factory pipes of questionable parentage (certainly not 'English') and nowadays mediocre briar.
I would go MSO's route and buy a handmade artisan pipe, likely saving money in the process too.
I recently bought three new Upshall pipes, all handmade of course and each one was less that half the price of a Dunghill and I have no doubt that they smoke better to boot.
Just my thoughts.
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
There are plenty of online retailers which sell Dunhills (White Spots) from £225 to £400 and above, say $200 to $350 or so. That would include VAT.
Will you sell me £225 for $200?? I'd buy quite a lot at that exchange rate!

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I have two Dunhill pipes, purchased because they were Dunhills, and they rarely get smoked, because my English-made Northern Briars and Ferndowns smoke so much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.