PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
In another thread Cosmic mentioned
When you can smoke a thin clay pipe and keep it cool, you'll get your black belt in pipe smoking, ha ha.
Here is my story. I bought a clay pipe few months ago when I started smoking a pipe and I smoked it only 2 times probably. The bowl was getting very hot making it impossible to hold so I had to use the stem instead for holding the pipe. Well, just few days ago I finished smoking a pipe and I was cleaning it and while cleaning my pipe I needed to smoke another pipe :) I just grabbed my clay pipe and I was very surprised because the bowl was not getting hot at all. I didn't do anything special and I was amazed how my smoking habit has improved by itself. I don't feel like I got my black belt though, I guess I am trying to get the green one.
karate-belts.jpg

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I am going to have to try that challenge.
Actually I am about to put on a black tie that looks just like that belt. Knit ties from the 80's are BACK!

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Damn, people need to start paying more attention to how they phrase their thread titles. I thought there was an actual pipe belt, like a gun belt, where you could holster a couple pipes and a tobacco pouch and tool and lighter and stuff. That would be an accessory to have.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I need a way to carry a pipe and the necessities too. But what are those colored strips above?

Cool, I had no idea that Jim used a clay pipe. I just threw the comment out there in a post. I may have created a monster, because I would probably just rank a green belt as well. But, green would probably go with my ties better, and having a green belt to holster my pipe would be pretty cool too. Ha ha.

howToTieABelt.jpg

No, I have two clay pipes, but I rarely use them. But, each time I do use one, I try my best to smoke it as cool as possible.

I know that recommending a clay pipe to someone just getting into the hobby is not what most forum members would do, but smoking a pipe cool-ly, is not just about keeping the outside cool to the touch. It's about smoking a pipe to get the best flavor, absorb the most nicotine, and it's better for your pipes, IMO. I can always spot a newbie (or imbecile, ha ha) at the B&M by the freight train puffing and billows of smoke, just blowing money into the air, wasting the nicotine goodness. If you'll watch an old geezer (or anyone who has actually bonded with their pipe for years) or an old movie where the pipe is actually being smoked, you'll barely ever even see any smoke, maybe a wisp or two.

So, smoking a clay pipe to keep it cool is a great way to build that slow sloooooooowwwww cadence to get the best out of their experience,... in my experience.
Of course, there are no rules. Everyone is different. You can feel free to huff and puff big clouds. But, is giving a newbie a MM cob or fat bodied bucket pipe going to really convey the most positive experience in the long run? Sure, they can get a smoke out of a fat insulated pipe, but what good is just puffing through a bowl in a cob if they're not getting the opportunity to taste? absorb the nicotine goodness for the relaxing aspect? and cook their bowls and TONGUE!!?
It was just a casual spin of words in a post, but sure, lets rank ourselves with belts as in karate. But, to be fair on most days I am probably just a green belt. I think that when I am at my workbench with pipe clenched and my mind focused solely on the task at hand I am getting close to a black belt. I too get excited with flavor and try to unconsciously puff some extra flavor out of the smoke, but consciously, I know that this is counter productive. No one is perfect, so don't worry if you aren't breaking concrete blocks with your forehead yet. And, when I am upset with my kids or irritated with something on the tractor, you just might catch me with a glowing red pipe in my clench as well.
And, to see my name in the title of a thread that I didn't make tickles me, ha ha.

Arigato gozaimasu!!

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Damn, people need to start paying more attention to how they phrase their thread titles. I thought there was an actual pipe belt, like a gun belt, where you could holster a couple pipes and a tobacco pouch and tool and lighter and stuff. That would be an accessory to have.
Wow, that would be nice. I am sorry for the thread title though.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I need a way to carry a pipe and the necessities too. But what are those colored strips above?
They are the belt colors that show your ranking in several types of martial arts.
Arigato gozaimasu!!
I don't know how to say you are welcome in Japanese, but I loved how Japanese girls answered their phones with "moshi moshi".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwsAl3ozkII

Perdurabo, your belt is on its way.
Eh, titles are better when they are slightly misleading, double entendres are my favorite pastime. Heck, if I hadn't of been tricked into clicking on most of the threads that I visit here, I would have missed tons of fantastic stuff. And, sure, some threads I couldn't get out of and back to the main forum page fast enough, ha ha.
And, I cheated and just google'd "karate words," and that was one that came up, ha ha.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I didn't go looking online, but I suspect some of the lighter weight tool belts would also work for pipes. The various loops and compartments could be adapted for pipes and gear. Pipe smokers don't necessarily need colored belts signifying proficiency. Few relights, or a deeply blase attitude toward relights, establish the masters.

If your putting your pipe in your belt, you're not smoking it right. Unless we are talking about one of those massive meerschaum works of art the size of a fountain with horses, carriages, and cattle in tow with angels and demon dragons holding eggs on top of the carriages. Then you really might want a support belt for taking it out for a lunt about. :wink:

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
If it means I have to smoke a clay pipe, you can keep your belts :)
Good luck with your endeavor!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've never wanted to tote pipes on my belt. When I have need of three or four pipes, for sampling blends at a pipe show for example, I use inside pockets on a sports jacket or in a denim jacket that do the job nice, for matches, pipe cleaners, pipe tools too.

:oops: At first I was tickled to be mentioned, but this slightly makes me blush. Redheads blush a lot. Maybe I would get a blush belt, or sorta salmon-y pink, Mauve maybe? What color is chartreuse?

Dang, now I am going to have to brush up on my clay pipe skillz... it's in the drawer here somewhere... hmmmm... I may have left it in my other pantaloons...

bonehed

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2014
You're welcome in Japanese is 'dou itashimashite' - fun to say...
dough ee-ta-she-ma-she-tay!

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
+1 Duane. Jiminks is Chuck Norris. In fact, he's such a badass I bet his pipes pack themselves!
A new challenge! I suggest you to open a new thread for that.
I heard that JimInks can smoke a pipe without lighting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.