PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a couple of orders for custom tampers, I decided that it was time to make a few more to keep in inventory. Since building the new Cosmic Folklore Studio in the bamboo grove, I have been mostly focused on custom wedding ring orders, and I finally have time to play a little and being creative with the tamp concept.

C54C2C57-0F7C-4580-A922-5B4F946C5AB4_zpszh09pcx0.jpg

The spear-shaped one on the left, this one is Sterling silver with an copper infused quartz and citrine cabochons. I developed this infused quartz technique back when I was learning to sugar Andamooka opals. I have to add a touch of gold to get a good melt on the copper, and then I use vacuum and thermal shock to infuse them. It makes a cool pattern of quartz and copper.
The middle one was just fun. The simple shape and multiple metals gives this one a very contemporary look. The main shank is a bronze, with copper tamp foot and settings, with a Sterling silver spoon/blade. Yellow, red, and white,I really liked the way the metals and the two natural faceted rubies a pop.
On the right, this one came out looking like a sword to me, a Moon Sword. The gel-like moonstone with a play of blue opalescence set into the mystical Sterling silver with two natural faceted sapphires incites a cloudless night sky on a full moon, perfect for smoking a pipe.
Another view...

68AC3BF3-746E-4EE6-A27F-7519C07BA272_zpsbahipvtl.jpg

All hand forged using ancient techniques and simple tools.

Sure, sure, I know tons of guys will see these as extravagant, excessive, when you could just use a finger or a golf tee, a nail, a spent battery. But, these are more for the ritual oriented pipe smoker, a tamp for that special night, when the planets align and everything is a'ight. These are more pipe ramps for that blissful smoke.
Also, the tamp foot is concave with my makersmark stamped inside.
I hope you enjoy.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I especially like the pebbly texture of the one on the left. Is that texture from casting?

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
That's very cool. A talent I wish I had...
The idea is to keep them at home, where they won't puncture your leg? Or are they not as sharp as they look?

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Beautiful work, Cos!! Stunning! That last one makes me want to order a tamp dedicated to Jupiter. Tamps with a galactic or planetary theme is a very cool idea! Maybe a Neptune one with the planet and a trident handle.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Those are lovely tampers that double as self-defense devices, which is prescient and appropriate for our Late Empire stage at this point.
Good work! What other types of jewelry and "stuff" (I am not wise in this area) do you do?
I know that you gave the other mods jeweled neti pots but I imagine you do other things as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.