Pipes Magazine » Pipes Accessories

Tags:   

Cosmic Tamper (Pics)

(33 posts)
  1. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

During the lunch break the lady from the office reception called and told me that there was a package for me. Last year in December, our beloved forum member Michael (a.k.a. Cosmic) told me that he shipped a package to me with a surprise item in it and since then I have been waiting for it to arrive. Well, it took a while since I am living on the other side of the world. Ladies and gentleman, I will let the pictures do the talking:

Incredible workmanship, Michael. Thanks a lot for this nice gift, sir. Now the question is, should I use it or not? It is more an exhibition item rather than a pipe tamper for me.

Javan
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

derekflint

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Really....Really nice !! I think I would use it but take good care of it for sure !!

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Very cool. An unused tamper is like an unsmoked pipe, use it!

Al

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very nice! Nothing like a handmade gift.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Please use it. Michael made me one and it is a cherished item.

Jason
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Please, use it. I get in such a whirlwind to get to the post office that I forgot to include two things, a small jeweler’s cloth to keep it polished and the letter that explains what this is made of.

The blade is made of sterling silver, the body is my own formula of bronze that will keep a polish for a very long time, but eventually will tarnish. It can be polished back up easily, but if you allow it, it will patina to a very cool blueish-green, similar to Roman sculptures. The foot of the tamp is pure copper.

The stone is an anthill garnet that I picked up in Tucson a few years ago. The ants bring these tiny garnets to the surface, adding them to their mounds, and the Natives of Apache County, Arizona will gather them up and have them facetted. They are a very blood red color, and I have been fascinated with them for a very long time. Ants make the best miners.

You can easily wipe the soot off after tamping. Sometimes mine will get a little build up on the inside of the foot, but maybe just think of that as cake, ha ha.

This was supposed to be your Christmas present, but getting a package from here to there takes quite a while, so… Merry belated Christmas!!! And, thank you so much Javan for helping me regain back control of my Instagram, from the Russian prostitutes.

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. ron123

ron123

Login to Send PM

Very cool!

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. bluegrassbrian

bluegrassbrian

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Fanfreakingtastic. Rustic look, unique materials, and a utilitarian design. A treasure to behold and to use.

Tobacco's a help because it clears the mind
    But like all your friends it is vilified
    They always say, the right amount's fine
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lovely piece. If you made it bigger, it would be a great cudgel-spear hybrid too.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. balkisobrains

balkisobrains

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That alloy body looks cool, I'm guessing that it is cast.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

All of the simplicity and elegance of a pipe nail raised to a far higher level. Superb.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No, it's hand forged. I have no interest in mass production. I prefer to just make them one at a time. Designing them and twerking with the design on each new one is what interests me more than making a table full of identical items.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That is outstanding Cosmic, love that design man

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. buckaroo

buckaroo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's a great one. Very creative.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

cos, that is too cool. I forgot you were a jeweler and could make all kinds of cool stuff.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  16. thomasw

thomasw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow... Michael, that tamper rocks! I am glad Jeevan could give you aid with those Russian prostitutes -- dealing with Russians is beyond my capacity; but if you should ever have a problem with any German prostitutes on Instagram, I'd be happy to be of service!

After some time he felt for his pipe. It was not broken, and that was something. Then he felt for his pouch, and there was some tobacco in it, and that was something more. Then he felt for matches and he could not find any at all, and that shattered his hopes completely.

The Hobbit
    Posted 1 year ago #
  17. johnbarleycorn

johnbarleycorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I usually keep my tampers in my pants pocket. I think I would puncture my scrotum with that thing.

And little Sir John and the nut brown bowl proved the strongest man at last
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks guys!!
    I keep one like this in my pocket quite a bit, no holes in scrotum yet. The silver blade is rather thick and dull, but in pictures they look a lot sharper than they really are. And, some days I just grab a golf tee. They aren’t for everyone. Actually, today I left the house without any tamp amd had to use the butt of a pen.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

headhunter

Login to Send PM

Super cool, use it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. seacaptain

seacaptain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very cool!

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

Well, I guess I will be using it then. I have few tampers but I always find myself using the cheapest one - a wood golf tee pipe tamper. But this one has a better grip than any other tamper of mine, so comfortable to hold it. it is just there all the time screaming to be picked up and get used. And its weight is so perfectly calculated that you don't even need to apply any force to tamp while smoking, just let the tool do the job.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

Please, use it. I get in such a whirlwind to get to the post office that I forgot to include two things, a small jeweler’s cloth to keep it polished and the letter that explains what this is made of.

The blade is made of sterling silver, the body is my own formula of bronze that will keep a polish for a very long time, but eventually will tarnish. It can be polished back up easily, but if you allow it, it will patina to a very cool blueish-green, similar to Roman sculptures. The foot of the tamp is pure copper.

The stone is an anthill garnet that I picked up in Tucson a few years ago. The ants bring these tiny garnets to the surface, adding them to their mounds, and the Natives of Apache County, Arizona will gather them up and have them facetted. They are a very blood red color, and I have been fascinated with them for a very long time. Ants make the best miners.

You can easily wipe the soot off after tamping. Sometimes mine will get a little build up on the inside of the foot, but maybe just think of that as cake, ha ha.

This was supposed to be your Christmas present, but getting a package from here to there takes quite a while, so… Merry belated Christmas!!! And, thank you so much Javan for helping me regain back control of my Instagram, from the Russian prostitutes.

Wow, I don't know what to say Michael, thanks for the effort. I didn't even know that I have helped you regaining back control of your Instagram

I am glad Jeevan could give you aid with those Russian prostitutes

Hmmm, I feel like Denzel Washington's character from the movie "The Equalizer" right now.

I usually keep my tampers in my pants pocket. I think I would puncture my scrotum with that thing.

Michael is right, it is not that sharp actually. Depends on the scrotum I guess

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ha ha, well, I sent you like twenty or so emails asking about this or that with Instagram, and you offered so much extra advice that really helped this old dog learn that new trick. Plus, I thought that they were Pakistani prostitutes, and you immediately knew that they were Russian. You really know your prostitutes, ha ha. Or, nationalities, anyway.

Enjoy it. Maybe it will help start a few new conversations and make a few new friends as well.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cosmic very nice craftsmanship. Wait, what? Russian prostitutes kidnapped your Instagram !!??

Sea Wolf Pipers

"Like the mariners of old, a loner is acceptable but a pipe is best enjoyed in a pack"
    Posted 1 year ago #
  25. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thank you, yeh, apparently it happens quite a bit. They find an account with a name they like (cosmic folklore) and then hack the acct, and robot it to promote something else. By the pics, I think mine was used for prostitution, which figures...

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. renfield

renfield

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Beautiful tamper! A great addition to enhance the pipe ritual every time it’s touched.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. balkisobrains

balkisobrains

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The texture had me thinking sand-cast. Seems like a lot of careful work either way.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

You really know your prostitutes, ha ha.

Hmmm, that explains why I loved reading Memories of My Melancholy Whores by Gabriel García Márquez.

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. scrooge

scrooge

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

Nice one scrooge. And nice Zippo lighters as well.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks again guys!
    Balkisobrains, I have tried to sand cast the shank on these, but it is just a hair too thick to cast without pourosity, which is airbubbles that form inside the metal. I just use a piece of cast iron to get the general form in the initial pour, and then use a hammer to fine tune the taper and the foot. Then I carve in the details. The texture comes from going over the piece with a French hammer to give it a good grip and finger appeal. It’s fun, and I am enjoying being able to make something that appeals to men. I still like working with women on jewelery, but I’ve been doing it for so long that making something more masculine is a fresh change.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

I have tried to sand cast the shank on these, but it is just a hair too thick to cast without pourosity, which is airbubbles that form inside the metal. I just use a piece of cast iron to get the general form in the initial pour, and then use a hammer to fine tune the taper and the foot. Then I carve in the details. The texture comes from going over the piece with a French hammer to give it a good grip and finger appeal.

Wow. Too much work Michael. I didn't know that French had their own hammers

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeh, French hammers are little bity tiny hammers. I’ve just always assumed their houses were made with little bitty tiny nails, probably takes about 50 of them to hang a picture on the wall.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   kenbarnes, danish, jaytex969, lukasstrifeson, jiminks, alaskanpiper