PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Two things to question here, really.
1. Does your online persona match your real life personality? Me, I like to think mine does. I'm a reflective loner, a bit of a doofus, with a touch of Adult Association Disorder. Always seen the world as if I'm watching it from inside a dark, musty garage, through a hand-rubbed spot in a dingy window. Half the people I meet, we get along fine. We have simple, stupid fun laughing at the incongruity of evolved primates. Really enjoy each other's take on things.
The other half I just rub the wrong way. They get aggressive with me, I get aggressive back, flip them off, we go our own ways. Fuck 'em. Grouch and let grouch.
Most of the time, I think, I'm introspective, pleasantly self-amused, and generally in awe of God's creation, animate or inanimate.
TMI? Oh well. That's how I do. Same here as in real life, I think.
A couple of voices here, oh I hope to hell they aren't like that in person. I have to believe the anonymity of an online "community" let's them be rude when in real life they would be more tolerant.
2. Online "community": Fact or fiction? When I used to hear people talk about Facebook and personal interest forums as if they are real communities. Boy, I didn't know about that.
I definitely see the value of an "online neighborhood" where you come after work, pour a drink, and relax "listening" to your online friends' thoughts and reflections and anecdotes, commenting or just lurking. People gathered around a similar interest, learning, sharing and enjoying the camaraderie of a group they could belong to.
I value that aspect. I value that we converse in forums like these without filtering each other through some of the biases we each have, biases that developed over a lifetime, prejudices we might not admit we have, but have just the same. Sedentary or athletic, well-dressed or slovenly, tatted up or pierced everywhere ... perceptions of how masculine, effeminate, blond or bald, cross-eyed or blemished -- those aren't here. (As much)
With the exception of judgments based on diction, social customs and protocol, choice of topic to participate in, we speak to each other soul to soul, person to person, raw -- or closer to raw than we do, I think, in real life.
But community? In real life the guy next door put up his wooden fence "ugly side out." He blows snow from his driveway into mine and washes his catfish guts from his drive into my lawn.
In Facebook I can just block him. In a forum, eh, I move on to a different thread. Ignore that one. I could just quit the site and move to another one, or turn off the computer and turn on the TV. Or take a nap.
In face-to-face life, I sigh, deliberating whether to confront him at each and every new transgression that annoys me, or to just let it go. I have to see him daily, unable to just turn him off. Our relationship is superficial. I say hi to him when we are doing yard work at the same time. I tease his kids and remain affable. It requires tolerance and energy I sometimes think I don't have.
To me, a real life community -- whether neighborhood or church or scout troop or gun club or workplace -- is a whole different animal from an online "community."
And maybe that's a good thing?
A young man came to us having just lost the love of his life. I was impressed with this community by the number of compassionate, nurturing responses he got. That shouldn't go unremarked.
No, we don't all "know" him. Probably never going to meet him. But we know what he's going through. We hurt with him. Desperate to ease his pain, so many of us offered him anything we could to let him know he wasn't alone. We ourselves grew through our own pain, matured, gained wisdom or grew jaded.
Should he have brought it here to us? Or should he feel ashamed he didn't keep it to himself?
Even old, callous bastards like me, deep down, wish at times we had a "place." So much of the world's literature is based on that basic human need. Can a guy or gal find it in an online community? Is it "real" if they do?
I think so now.
When I went through my divorce, two-year-long felony defense and subsequent bankruptcy, and loss of fatherhood (out of contact from my kids for that two years), I longed for someone who at least cared enough to say, "I feel for you. Been there myself. You're not alone."
I think a person in despair scares people. Some get angry if "it" comes near them, someone with the first runny nose and cough in the cold season, wanting to shake hands. My friend and coworker one night, when I was going on about what happened "now," told me about his own divorce. He had been in a bar, self-medicating, talking about his loss, not knowing how to go on now, so much of his security destroyed, ruined. Same as me. Then he told me the guy turned to him and said, "Buddy. Tell you a secret. None of us gives a fuck. We want to drink our beer. Now shut up and drink yours." Sobered me right up. He was looking at me as if I were a drowning person he needed to keep away from, a threat to his own security. We all work for and guard our own emotional stability. People in unstable situations threaten us, or remind us no one helped us when we went through it. Put your big boy pants on and man up.
Sitting here puffing on my Sav 320 loaded with Newminster 403 slices, I realized how much I've been thinking of that kid, the forum's responses to him, the overwhelming number of compassionate responses, and I'm changing my mind.
Wouldn't want every thread to be about it. Wouldn't have the patience for someone who did it all the time. But sometimes we need this. Sometimes maybe this is less superficial of communities we belong to.
I can smoke to that!
You?

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I am who I am, whether online or in person you are going to get me. I have a strong personality and for some folks, I am love or hate kind of fellow. I can get along with darn near anyone, as long as they aren't a jerk or terrible person. I tend to call it like I see it but don't confuse my opinions with the truth.
For someone like me, several online communities are actual communities and I have made some real friends over the computer. I value my friends that can come over and have a good face to face but at times, the online friends I have were the most supportive, the most caring and generous in ways I would not have imagined possible.
Good write up and good subject, thank you.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not "doing a persona," but I can't be sure how closely the impression I give in my posts matches me.

I'm not gregarious, so probably am not that accomplished at shaping peoples concept of me. Likewise,

I'm not categorial that my self-concept is close to peoples' image of me. Which gets into a philosophical

discussion. Time's up!

cuchulain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2014
Massachusetts
I try to act online the same way I would in person. I may come off as slightly less foul-mouthed and temper-prone online as typing out a blue streak is so much less satisfying than doing it in person.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
My online and offline "persona" jive. I'm a wise cracking smart ass online and off. Basically anything I say online is something I would say offline as well. I am also a pretty giving person and willing to help people out, which I have also done here by contributing to the Free Pipe Project and now heading up the Tin Share with the soon to begin Tobacco Crawl.
On this forum -and other places across the inter webs- I do engage people in political/social debate as I have a libertarian streak in me that thrives on challenging the left and right on their stances.

Online persona? I'm just happy to be here. Do people make up a persona to interact in forums? What if everyone here is really a bunch of twelve year old girls who have never smoked a pipe, but have picked up the tech talk from being on here so long, till all of the real pipe smokers have left except for a bunch of girls holding dolls and pretending to be old men? Egahds!! I think that this would make a great book idea, The Day the Girls Overthrew the Forums. Oh, and they can all be Canadian.... why? ....just because. Maybe in the world of literature Canada needs it's shot at world domination. :puffy:
As for online communities, I am on Facebook for my kids, my mom, and all of my family all over the place, old friends from high school that I don't give a flip about and college friends who are closer than family to me. Yes, I have newer friends that I only know from Facebook, but for the most part, when I post on there, I am talking to and for people I know and that know me. I don't Tweeter or Gspot, mainly because I don't know anyone there. But, I am generally not the life of the party or the type to take over a conversation in a real group. So, I may be more outgoing here. But, I'd never post things anywhere that I wouldn't whisper to the person setting next to me, ha ha.
As for this forum, I think that I just sort of transferred what I do with Facebook to here. I wouldn't say anything here that I wouldn't want everyone there to know. I just try to keep it pipe stuff on here, whereas on FB I wouldn't want to inundate my family and friends with stuff they might see as trivial to the non-pipe layman, but we pipefolks might all nod and/or make a jest about.
I don't think that I'd have the memory or skills to play a part with a made-up persona. If we were hanging out and smoking pipes, I'd probably be about what you see here. And, of course if you offer me a bowl out of your tin, I'll grab my largest pipe with a big heap of gratitude to ya. :puffy:

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
12- I'm astonished, and grateful, that in some mysterious way, I was able to help change your perspective, to one that seems to be more positive.
As far as forum personas go... I just try to keep it real, yo. I think it'd be bizarre to have some kind of alter-ego while on-line.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Next on the list... your Road Persona
LOL
Little people in big trucks getting all aggressive. Sort of like some version of Rigley in that exo-robot thing fighting an alien protecting her eggs and larva. Teenage girls "fighting" truckers with their little KIAs (isn't that the abbreviation for "killed in action"?
The forum gives some folks the ability to say things they'd probably never say out loud.
That's what I was getting at. That in here, I'm pretty much the same guy I am "out there." Yet I have to admit, only people who knew me in both places would know if that was a fair assessment.
But yes, lostandfound, the bottom line is, I've concluded that if you're in here a while, and you chat with a number of people on a regular basis, at some point it's going to go beyond just pipes and get to the piper him- or herself.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Now I'm thinking, it probably has more to do with the difference between the way we "speak" in a group and the way we "write" in a group. Some people write just how they talk. Others have a "speaking" presence and another presence when they write.
In the workplace, pretty superficial, working relationships. I mostly work with headphones on listening to "brown noise" (from Simply Noise) to drown it out. The guy in the cubicle next to me, we talk and Spark to each other pretty much the same. But I don't say much to other folks. I'm more reserved and guarded. The only time they "hear" from me is in emails.
Maybe in a forum it has more to do with that. At a pipe club meeting you might only hear me laugh at a joke someone made, but mostly watch and listen. In a pipe forum -- I bet you couldn't tell this -- I'm more vocal, so to speak.
(Boy... that last bit needs rewriting: vocal in my writing, so to speak?)

May 31, 2012
This is a GREAT thread and provokes thought.
The community here is real for sure.
My online persona is pretty much me, perhaps amplified a bit because in real life I'm pretty shy and more of the observer type, unless with very close friends or very drunk.
If I'm in a particulary manic frame, I will ramble endlessly while talking, just like in one of my posts, and I'm relentlessly bouncing myriad tangents like blue sparks everywhere, which annoys alotta people haha but in general I'm quite reserved.
I tawlk witha suthern twang.
The infinite library of the internet is wonderful, and the interactivity of it all really trips my trigger.
A while back I wrote an odd little thing for a local artmag which kinda touches on this topic,

www.pd.org/Perforations/perf30/huhthead-hugtheart.pdf
As for my road persona,

no comment.

:eek:

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
I couldn't imagine you any other way. Keep posting!
That link... we got to go get drunk together. And I'm bringing my tape recorder.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Being on various forums over the years has definitely taught me some interesting things about how people can behave behind a screen name and a computer. Not that we see that much here in the pipe community as this place is truly different in that regard.
I like to think I am who I am. So I decided to put my real name and face on everything I post online. Here as well as on my Shaving 101 site. I'm a firm believer in not saying something you wouldn't put your name and face on for the world to see. That's how I look at it at least.

May 31, 2012
...we got to go get drunk together. And I'm bringing my tape recorder.
:P

I been needin' to get drunk!
...for the tape, I'll try to do my best Bök impersonation,

:eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrNpI0r7fa8

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
@ ae1pt
As a professional sociologist, I tend to look at things quite differently than most people. Often not what is the 'presentation' itself, but what is behind and drives that framework or behavior.
A fellow storyteller. I have always thought of psychologists and therapists that way, too. A person who can listen to your "facts" and tell your story back to you, or help you tell it, until it makes sense. Once it makes sense, you are healed. To have my marriage annulled (a process that I at first thought of as stupid, degrading, and cruel since I couldn't believe at first my marriage really wasn't a marriage at all), that's what my appointed counselor did for me. Told my story "better" than I was telling it to myself. Totally liberating! The idea behind this counseling was to discover what went wrong the first time I promised my life to someone, so that I could avoid making the same mistake if I remarried -- saving families and the community from going through all that pain again.
===
A teacher of mine as an undergrad once said, "Joe, you have a story for everything, don't you?" At first I was insulted, but then I realized all he was saying is that I make sense of the world in stories. But by doing that, I'm just a normal old human. It's what humans do. Religion, science, history, politics ... memories ... doesn't matter -- it's all about stories. We are the "story-telling" animal. (I was writing a book called, The Storytelling Animal," but a woman beat me to it in 1995. Then I realized how obvious it was and realized no one is the "author" of that book but is plagiarizing us all, collectively).
I want to know the story of everything. EVERYthing. And everyone. And when I find one I think has been mis-told or untold, I'm anxious to discover it to anyone else who might be interested.
All I ever wanted to be was a storyteller.
In a forum like this, maybe that's what my persona is. If I come off that way, cool! If not, damn.
:puffpipe:

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
PS: I don't think I really changed the fundamental issues that turned my first marriage into a Catholic endurance contest, which was my adult attachment disorder. My second wife is just so awesomely patient and loving that she persists in loving me. Whoever said a marriage is 50/50 has been proven wrong again and again. It's more like 150/150, working happily out of phase but euphoric when it's in phase.
ae1pt -- you also wrote
There is a downside to such self disclosure though. Done in person, time changes perceptions and memory makes things fit differently in negotiated relationships.
Yep.

May 31, 2012
Joe - thanks for pointing out the Koyczan video, it is friggin' excellent!
And yes, you do come off as a storyteller, in deep richnesses, and throw in poet (you've turned some exquisitely fine phrases here),

and a philosopher, and an enthusiast, an honest Joe :) , and most importantly, as a very fine gentleman.

:puffy:

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Please send directly to my inlaws, please. Check's in the mail. Between paychecks right now, so I can only afford the first few labels -- discount me the rest?
Hahahaha... Thanks, Troy. Way too kind.

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
Wow some of those post are alot of reading. I have only been apart of two online groups this one and bbq brethren so I have never thought about or tried to present myself as anything other than my self, however no that yall have given me the idea I might make another account on here and be a british spie who gets all the ladys and drinks martini to the point of having a problem but is so sophisticated about it that no one questions him. wow I think I could make a movie about this guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.