PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jb409

Lurker
Jan 1, 2012
I'm new here had have searched (unsuccessfully) for information about the correct storage conditions for pipe tobacco. I'm wondering about temperature, humidity and light. Any information will be appreciated.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
First of all, welcome to the forum, JB.

First - are you talking about unopened tins, or bulks? Unopened tins are of course vacuum sealed, so you don't have to worry about them at all. Just put 'em wherever is convenient.

Opened tins or bulks - some place cool if you have it, not cold. Don't put 'em in the frig. You don't want them to be kept under conditions as humid as cigars. I keep all of my opened stuff on shelves in the basement. :puffy:

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Happy New Year and welcome aboard JB409!
Here are a couple of links that may be of some assistance.

The main thing is keeping your tobacco in a sealed container, and at a coolish/comfortable temperature.
Keeping My Tobacco Fresh
I hope it is helpful!
Edit: I'm not sure where the article went. May have been moved. L

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Room temperature is perfect. And unlike cigars, pipe tobacco doesn't have special humidity requirements. If you're going to finish a tin within a few weeks, I think you can store it in its tin with no problems. Longer than a month or so and you should probably transfer it to either a mason jar or ball snap lid jar.
Excellent question about light! I've never considered it to be a factor, but I think a chemist would be able to definitely answer.

bbauer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2011
Livermore, CA
I dont know for sure about light, but i would assume that it shouldnt be a problem. you probably dont want your tobacco to be sitting outside in the sunlight or even like next to an open window, but in normal light conditions in an office or a bedroom i am sure you are fine.

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
my opinion might not go with the consensus, but i believe once you've broken the seal on a tinned tobacco, there's not a single one of them that won't benefit from being closed back up in the same container for a few months, once they've had a little access to some air.

Status
Not open for further replies.