PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I attended the 30th and what might be the final Richmond CORPS show yesterday. As usual, it was an oustanding event, but a bit melancholy. I did hear rumblings from CORPS members they might do it again, but perhaps every few years versus annually.
I left Maryland at 5:45 AM and made it to Richmond in time to open the show doors. I stayed until 4:30 PM and literally had to force myself out for the 3 hour ride home. My wife was hosting a big political fundraiser, I arrived home in time to help close that and made it to my house at 11 PM. I'm bushed today...
There were a number of forum members there, I hope that I was able to meet each of you. I posted a sign at a back table for a "Forums Meet & Greet" and enjoyed spending some time with folks I knew previously and some new members. Membes layinpipe,sailor jeremey, lestrout, samcoffeeman, vabriar, Jason Bard and others joined me. (forgive me if I didn't list your name!) It was great to see some old friends like Neill Archer Roan, Andy Camire, the Philly and NYC clubs, etc.
Brian Levine was there with Jim Amash from the Sutliff team. I had not met Jim before, he's just as gregarious in person as on the radio interview. It's always a pleasure to see Brian and experience his sense of humor in person.
There were a number of CORPS members walking around in yellow hats and I enjoyed chatting with some of these long-time members. If you live in this area, I highly recommend this active club.
The vendor tables were full with many new and estate pipe purchases. I thought there were some good deals to be had, even on the first day. I really wasn't in the market for a pipe but of course came home with two regardless. I found a GBD 549 to restore and a Sasieni Four Dot. I couldn't resist another brass Scottie pipe stand for $1 from Robin Adair!
Two of my favorite shops were there, Mel from Wingenroths and both Matt and John from JB Hayes.
Forum member Robin Adair was there with his incredible Mark Tinsky Christmas Pipe collection, including the 2014 pipe. I hope he won "Best Display".

I bought my GBD 549 from member "Ned".

Jason and his father-in-law from Bards Vintage Briar. Jason lives near me and we're hoping to start a local MD pipe club. He had a great selection of estate and unsmoked pipes and had a great show.

Layinpipe holding that Shitika (?) rope pipe.

Jiminks (Amash) was giving away hundreds of tins, including the new Edward G. Robinson blend, which I was anxious to try.

Brian and I showing Kevin my PipesMagazine gear.

Layinpipe with a Tinksy commission he was showing me.

The forum group!

King from the JB Hayes shop and Alberto Bonofiglioli, who is like a pipe rock star!

Robin Adair's Tinsky Christmas Pipe display.

Rad Davis with my 2014 Rad purchased earlier this year.

Brian and Ric Tompkins of Ye Olde Pipe and Tobacco and Stag's tobacconist, Phoenix

Premal from Smokers Haven.

Doverpipes at Joe Skoda's table.

Mel and Joe from Wingenroth's.

Sam with his incredible Dr. Grabow set, which drew plenty of attention!

JB Hayes. (John)

Reddog Pipes.

"Tidybowl" from the SmokersForums, who sold me this Sasieni.

Jeff Knoll and the NASPC table. Jeff lost a pipe in his travels, I hope he can find it on his return trip.

Misc pictures.

Feel free to add your own pictures and it was pleasure to meet you folks again!

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Solid Report! Thanks! I really enjoy the people pictures. Now I have a face to put with Tidybowl. Sad that it's over this was a great collector show. I only went once years ago but seeing those great collections displayed and meeting the great collectors really inspired me. 8O

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Our Meet & Greet table made the Richmond Times newspaper! That is SailorJeremy, his Marine buddy and Jeff from Maryland at our table. Story below:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/multimedia/photos/news/local/pipe-smokers-celebration-expo/collection_c7f57706-519c-11e4-86d6-0017a43b2370.html
5439bcdb419b1.image.jpg

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
Wow. That's cool.
It was a pleasure to meet Al and everyone at the CORPS show. The show was my first and a bit overwhelming. I too only walked away with a few meager purchases. I also didn't take any pictures!? Thanks for the post and the pics.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Jmill208 and I learned we live 15 minutes from each other and we each drove six hours yesterday....Wont happen again! It was great to meet a local pipe smoker. I bumped into another MD pipeman who is starting a pipe club in Frederick, I'll keep you posted! (PM me your email to get on the list).

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
Awesome pics! Had a great time meeting everyone and shooting the shit. Hopefully we'll see some of you @ the Raleigh show in April! Here's my acquisition from the show. I also have a signed copy of "In Search Of Pipe Dreams"

Dec 24, 2012
Great recap. Stunning acquisitions, all of them. Jeremy, you need to wear gloves when you smoke that pipe to protect your hands from that wicked blast.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I love Perry's work, fabulous.
I have a number of Newcombe books and meant to bring one for him to sign, but I forgot it (and my copy of Neill Archer Roan's Blue Riband book). I'll see Neill again, but don't often bump into Newcombe.

jaxon

Lurker
Dec 22, 2013
I made it to the pipe show (my first one) on Saturday and had a great time. I was stunned by some of the amazing work these pipe makers can do. Good thing I left my credit card back at the hotel.
I did get a chance to meet Brian and enjoyed talking with him.
After talking with Jim from Sutliff, he sent me home with some tins to try. One of which "Lord of the Manor" I'm enjoying right now.
Sorry I missed the forum meet and greet, it would have been nice to meet some of you.

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
Hats off to the CORPS members for putting on a fantastic expo! It was great meeting with some of our forum members, fellow pipe makers, and tobacconists. It was also a pleasure meeting and speaking with some of my cob customers and getting their valuable feedback.

dermotfahy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
Finally made it to the convention center about an hour before closing today, picked up a Sav Bing's Favorite, a few Old Dominion cobs, some Smoker's Haven blends, and a Custombilt that had a cracked stem repaired with a brass band. In too much of a hurry to enjoy myself properly, but it was still a spectacular sight.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
VAcob: Your table looked pretty busy all day, I forgot you were forum member, I should have stopped by. But I did notice the crowd every time I walked by. Some folks didn't do so well. I heard Reddog didn't sell anything. Dr. Bob looked lonely too and Jimmy Craig.

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
ssjones,
No problem. It was a lot to take in at the show. Sorry to hear that a few of the vendors were having slow sales. I tried to get around and visit with a few folks as time allowed. I definitely picked up some nice blends I'm looking to try and enjoyed sampling some of the Sutliff and Mac Baren blends at the Expo as well.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Al and Jaxon: many thanks for the kind words, but I must make one correction. I don't work for Sutliff. I was helping out at the table for fun, and to chat with bunch with Sutliff's blender, Carl McCallister, and MacBaren's main man Per Jensen, and their blender, Jorgen Esbech. Between them and Russ O, I learned a lot about blending this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.