PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Does anyone own or have experience with the IM Corona Pipemaster lighter? It has a piezo ignition and I'm curious about its length of life.

Do piezo ignitions wear out?

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
I have never had or known anyone who has ever had a lighter with a piezo ignition that has not failed at some point. I avoid them like the plague because of that very reason but that is just MY experience.
Flint ignition has never ever let me down.

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
I am a lite user once a week usually. But, I do light other things with it. It is about 10 years old. Still works. I clean out the the area around the nozzle with a pipe cleaner when it does not light Not a ringing recommendation but I hope this helps. It was highly rated by the guys at the Brier Patch in Sacramento.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Agreed. Flint is the way to go. That. Ring said, I had a Lotus i11gifted to and it lasted

for five years. A decent return on investment. I still have it. If I needed a paper weight, this would be a good one!
Mike S.

cally454

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2012
I bought one on the bay a year or so ago. It failed, sent it to their certified repair department,twice. They couldn't get it to work and told me I'm sol. The piezos all go out, just depends on when.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I bought one on the bay a year or so ago. It failed, sent it to their certified repair department,twice. They couldn't get it to work and told me I'm sol. The piezos all go out, just depends on when.
Where was (is) their repair department? How did they tell you to take a hike? No replacement offer at all?? Surprising and disappointing.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I really like mine and would buy it again! 8O

img_0513.jpg

cally454

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2012
Thier repairs are done by music city marketing in TN. First time came back didn't work sent it back. Received it back lit twice then out. They said they couldn't fix. Sorry

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
I have a CDL-2 which was the forerunner to the PipeMaster by Corona. Music City Marketing repaired my 60 year old lighter for $35.00 basically giving me all new guts with the exception of the piezos. It was working fine.

Mine had a valve problem which they fixed. Love this lighter.

cally454

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2012
Didn't intend to inadvertently bash mcm I'm sure they are a great company. Some stuff just can't be fixed. I was just responding to the op regarding pipemaster and more importantly piezo ignition

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I've had my Pipemaster since the early 80's, still working fine. Had to send it in to get the seals replaced a few years ago. YMMV

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I have one and would recommend it to anyone, it's simply the best pipe lighter on the market. There is no disernsble taste from the fuel, it lights easy, every time and it feels great in my hand, the weight is just right. If the piezo ever fails, as Brad said, I'll just buy another. No flints to change, no nasty Zippo fuel taste and the adjustability of the flame is wonderfully easy. I truly don't get all of the piezo electric ignition hate....but my guess is these people either had really bad luck....or more likely, they had shitty lighters with electric ignition and if it's a shitty lighter to begin with, the ignition source is moot. Or...they were biased towards flints to begin with and were just looking for problems to find. Either way, I'm not going back to flints or lighter fluid!

Status
Not open for further replies.