PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Back when I smoked more stogies, I owned a handful of nice lighters. Since slowing down though it has been all matches for quite some time. The uptick in pipe smoking and setting up a indoor smoking area prompted me to buy a Corona Old Boy, based on the many recommendations they receive here. I did see a few posts mentioning that filling them was tricky and the directions were little help. Since mine should be arriving today, any hints or tips on how to fill these?

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
It's pretty simple. Always bleed the air and remaining fuel in the tank prior to refilling. Fill the tanks in 3 or 4 two or three second bursts. If you get fuel splash back you are full.
Failing to bleed the tank will limit how much fuel you can get into the tank. Trying to load the tank in one go just doesn't work as well as several short bursts.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Congrast daimyo on your Old Boy. I really like mine. As for filling, I had not heard of problems nor of KC's tip on 3-4 sec bursts before - but it's interesting. I also bleed the tank - tho Bradley (who knows a thing or two about these things) once said it's not necessary.
I just press and hold for about 15-20 secs. That usually lasts me a while. I also use 5x butane which keeps the ligher burning clean. The only other issue that may arise is the size of the nozzle of the butane can and the pipe. Fortunately mine fits fine.

eightywon

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 4, 2014
I always thought it was neat that you can use the built-in tamper head as a screwdriver to access the fuel port.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Okay, so nothing out of the ordinary then. Perhaps the reviews were new to refilling lighters or had a can with a poorly sized tip. Thanks for the input, I am excited to try this one out.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I read somewhere you should set the flame height to lowest before filling and you should let the lighter get back to room temp before re-adjusting the flame height and using. I do this and my lighter remains trouble free.
Mike S.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I love my Old Boy! I always wondered why it seemed to run out so quickly... I always just "fill" it once, when it stops making noise, I stop...duh
Glad I read this!

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Here is a gentleman filling his Old Boy:

blackhawk_propane_residential_filling_pictures_063_medium.jpg
:clap:

iajaffe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2010
Just a note that I discovered. Shake you refill can before inverting and filling. My lighter was filling with the inert gases instead of the flammable kind.
And since no one said anything, I use the tamper to push on the nozzle to bleed it empty.
PS - don't drop it on its top. I bent and broke it dropping it from only two feet.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I somehow forgot to compliment ae1pt on his Haja hilariousness. I did laugh out loud literally. Woodsroad, great signature pic.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
I hate to say it but if you need directions to fill a Corona Old Boy maybe butane lighters aren't for you.
btw, never shake your can of butane before using it. if you are inverting your can to fill a lighter unless the can is empty how are you getting all propellant?
http://youtu.be/juvjeNAZTZI

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I hate to say it but if you need directions to fill a Corona Old Boy maybe butane lighters aren't for you.

:lol: Just something I read on a few reviews, it sounds like a pretty standard lighter in terms of filling.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
Congrats on your new Old Boy. A good friend gave me one as a gift (the briar model) almost two years ago and I really love my lighter. I would never have spend that much on myself, but after owning one will say that it is an excellent lighter and is worth the cost.
I have no problems filling mine. Use high quality butane (like six, I use 5X butane). I have a torch lighter that I use for cigars and to fill that one it is necessary to reduce the flame to minimum to get a fill. I've not found that to be the case for my Old Boy. The fill seems independent of the flame adjustment setting. Typically, I fill mine once a week or something like that. Of course, that will depend on how much you use it.
The general advice is to use Old Boy flints, so grab some of these with your next tobacco order. Don't forget. If you do, you'll be cursing yourself in two months when it won't light.
The Old Boy is certainly not wind proof in any sense. Still, I use mine outdoors all the time and in all kinds of weather short of a hurricane. I cup my hand much as you would need to do for a match or most other lighters.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
The Butane that you are filling your lighter with is the propellent, pumped in at maybe 6 or 7 times atmospheric pressure it turns into liquid, pressure released it turns into a gas. Now for the big disclaimer , the only time air is in your lighter is when it's made, after 2 or 3 refills no more air , unless your tank leaks it is only butane, period. Trick to filling lighter is reduce the pressure in lighter, put it in the fridge for a couple minutes. Fill laboratory with hot water up to 1/3 of can of butane, you are raising the pressure of the butane. About 5 minutes is sufficient, your lighter taken out the fridge will then get a Maximum fill, hit it 2 or 3 times waiting a few minutes between hits. As Justin Wilson would say I Garranonte Cher!

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Shake you refill can before inverting and filling.
There is no real need to shake the can other than to see if it still contains fuel.
Are you serious! When I purchased my first Corona Pipemaster (I have two now), and an Old Boy years ago I was more than happy to have detailed instructions on how to properly fill it, ie. that one should first bleed whatever possible remaining fuel might be in the tank, etc. It would seem that is akin to saying that if one needs proper instructions on how to use their fist iPad, etc. they should not purchase one!
As a side note... use the BEST available fuel you can get. I personalty use Vector fuel which is filtered five times. Use a cheep fuel such as Ronson and your taking a risk.

cally454

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2012
If anyone is in the market Carey's has the chromium and black/chrome Old boys 25% off right now. $75.00

Also added Sobraine to cart and no out of stock notification yet. Just saying...

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Yup, it was easy to fill and is easy on the eyes. Flame adjustment worked like a charm and it lit up some ODF quite well. I am glad I followed the advice on this lighter, you folks have good taste.

jmmize

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2014
I just recieved my Old Boy thanks for the tips!

Right now I am using a low flame xixar that works fine!

jrtaster

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2009
I recently re-discovered an OB, misplaced for 2 years after moving. It lit on the first strike, on a fuel supply apparently undiminished after that layover.

Says a lot about the integrity of the construction and fuel tank seal.

I have gone through any number of butane lighters at various price points; all have failed within 6-9 months of purchase. I expect my OB, fueled with Vector and equipped with Corona flints, will be left to a male heir.

Liquid-fueled Zippos are at least as durable and reliable and are always within reach when smoking outdoors.

Hope you will enjoy yours as much.

p.s. btw, I bleed butane lighters fully, chill in the frig for a few hours, bleed again, then refill....seems to give me maximum fill capacity. YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.