PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bowler1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2013
Williamsburg, VA
I bought an Old Boy based on all the great things I had heard and read about them. I have to say that it is a nice lighter, but I find the flame adjustment to be a bit vexing.
For me it seems that you have three possible settings: on, off, and blow torch. Nothing much in between. I would prefer if I could have some degree of control over the height of the flame, but that has not been the case for me.
The flame is a little lower than I would prefer, but any minute adjustment makes it an absolute blow torch. I first thought that I had a defective lighter but I exchanged it for another one and it does the same thing.
Nice lighter though...and lots of capacity.
Matt

eightywon

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 4, 2014
Never had that problem with mine. Seems I can finely tune the flame anytime, no matter how much fuel I have in it.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Likewise, mine can be calibrated to any possible size flame. No problems as far as I can tell.

bowler1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2013
Williamsburg, VA
Wow...I have had two that have done the same exact thing. No exaggeration here---the tiniest turn humanly possible will cause the flame to go from match size to literally 4 inches tall literally making a blow torch sound and shooting out uncontrollably. The slightest turn in the other direction and it won't light at all or is about an 1/8th of an inch tall. I just don't get it.
Could it be the fuel I am using? I am using Xicar brand tripe refined butane.
Maybe I should call the company.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Wow...I have had two that have done the same exact thing. No exaggeration here---the tiniest turn humanly possible will cause the flame to go from match size to literally 4 inches tall literally making a blow torch sound and shooting out uncontrollably.
I recently acquired an Old Boy and it is touchy. A tiny turn one way or the other will be a massive adjustment. Still, with a little finesse, I can get it to the desired height. I've learned once your ideal setting is made - don't mess with it. Also, I use 5x refined - not sure if that makes a difference.
I also can tell when it is running out of butane because the flame starts to get very small. Once filled, the flame is longer than I'd like, but tolerable. Within a few of days it will go down some.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
In my not so humble opinion, nothing beats the Old Boy or the Pipe Master both made by IM Corona. I have no issues with the flame height, they never break down and they are the most reliable pipe lighters I have ever owned. I have tried just about every other brand and none compare.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I've had my Old Boy, the pewter model w/ shape chart on it, for almost 15 years. Never a single problem with it. Lights up almost every pipe I smoke.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Try bleeding the tank and refilling, see if that helps. Air goes in with the butane and this can cause flame issues with the Old Boy.
Another thing you could try is to make sure the nozzle is clean. It should be since its new, but you never know. I put some alcohol on a pipe cleaner to clean the nozzle with. My Old Boys are older but this has cured the blowtorch problem for them at one time or another.
You butane is good so that should not be an issue.
That's all I got. Depending on your retailer, you should have a one year or life time warranty on it, so that is a plus.

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
I agree wholeheartedly with number six, mine does the same thing. Once I adjust the flame I leave it alone, just as he said when the flame gets low it's time to refuel. A great lighter if the fan is not on in the car or outdoors hunting or fishing, that's what Zippo's are made for! 8)

briarhillgeoff

Might Stick Around
Nov 8, 2014
My wife got me one for Christmas and I'm having a devil of a time keeping it filled? Seems I get a good amount in there, yet after 4 or 5 lights it's empty? Could someone explain the correct method of filling it? what I've been doing is turning the can upside down and pushing down on the fill nozzle on the lighter. Should I hear it go in? How long do I keep filling? How can I tell it's full? Sometimes the whole lighter goes cold and I thought that would mean it's full?

desertpipe

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2014
Filling method for all butane lighters....

Empty the lighter completely by depressing the fill valve. Turn the adjustment to off...lowest setting. Turn the lighter upside down, fill for 20 seconds with the best butane available. I use Vector 14 times filtered, but 5 times filtered worked almost as well. Wait 10 minutes with the lighter in your pocket, to allow the lighter to return to at least room temperature. Adjust the flame up to half way and light, adjust flame to desired level.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Chuck describes my process exactly. Never an issue since I began following these steps. One thing I learned. If you try to pep up an abused lighter, it may take several fills to get it working flawlessly. I even used compressed air to clean out a favored butane lighter that had become clogged from lazy care on my part.
Mike S.

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
I find that to get it really full it can take a few minutes. I'll put my ear up to the can and listen for little bubbles. Release and try again a few times. Once full with this method it will last me a month or longer smoking 1-3 bowls a day.

briarhillgeoff

Might Stick Around
Nov 8, 2014
Is a sign that it is full - is that the first few lights are like a blow torch? Even with the flame height turned all the way down?

desertpipe

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2014
english...I work at a B&M and see a number of lighters every week that need attention. I have no proof that the reason for the adjustment of the valve to off before filling is to keep the valve in operating condition, but I have noticed that valves that are not moved or adjusted regularly tend to work less well over time.

Geoff...no, the flame should not blow torch after filling, if the filling instructions were followed.

stanwellman

Might Stick Around
Nov 5, 2011
The description provided by desetrpipe is correct. However, from experience what I have found is this: do not fill a lighter for more than 2-3 seconds. After that time the tank is full and any more filling attempts simply allow the fuel to escape and more air gets introduced into the mix.

If you have an old lighter that you do not mind taking apart, do so and try filling it up while watching the clear tank – after about 3 seconds it is full!!!

Another method that makes life easier is use 2 – 2 second or so bursts of refill with a clear break in between. The break and the second fill attempt allow for some of the air introduced in the first attempt to escape from the tank.

Try it and see if it makes a difference. Remember, after filling it up, give it a few minutes for the gas pressure to settle and the lighter to warm up. Good luck.

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
It was using a clear window lighter that I discovered long filling was needed. Maybe because I'm close to sea level? 2-3 sec burst only gets me half full

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I do find my IM Corona Old Boy a bit on the touchy side as far as flame adjustment goes. Typically what I do is adjust it all the way down, fill it, wait for it to return to room temperature, then I turn it up quite a ways so it will light, and adjust the flame while it's on. Doing so helps me get the flame at the desired length.

Status
Not open for further replies.