PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
The which lighter topic has been beat to death, but one thing I have noticed within these discussions is that there are more IM Corona lighters than just the old boy. So my question is has anybody had any experience with the Accord, Delgado, or Pipemaster? These all look like really fine lighters as well.

Jun 27, 2016
I have a "Chrome Lines" Corona Accord that I bought new within the past couple of years. I used it for a couple of weeks and put it down. It's a handsome dress lighter, and the scroll wheel, lid hinge, nozzle placement and direction of flame angle are good if you light with the left hand, but overall it feels a little flimsy. The lighter has a hollow "stamped" feel to it when you strike it, and the flint grinder will bind up sometimes and you have to wheel it back a couple times to get it going again. (Using I.M.C. flints) The flint release system feels a little flimsy too. Plus without a tool, the flame height adjustment is tough to reach. Annoying when you want to adjust while you are smoking. I've never had to take it apart, but I would give it only 50% chance of having a brass tank. My feeling is that they are a little over-priced for what you get, and I think I paid $79 for mine after asking for a discount. =)

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Besides an Old Boy I have and can recommend the Elysee. It sort of a Rollagas style flint wheel angle flame pipe lighter. 8O

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I own the Pipemaster and I think it's grand. I do prefer the old timey look of the Old Boy, but I wanted piezo-electric ignition instead of flint. I am supremely happy with the Pipemaster and would recommend it to anyone who smokes a pipe; also, it has a nice heft to it that is confidence inspiring, it just feels solid. Please feel free to PM me any more questions you might have about the Pipemaster and I'll do my best to answer.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
I own the Pipemaster and I think it's grand. I do prefer the old timey look of the Old Boy, but I wanted piezo-electric ignition instead of flint. I am supremely happy with the Pipemaster and would recommend it to anyone who smokes a pipe; also, it has a nice heft to it that is confidence inspiring, it just feels solid.
I've had and used a pipemaster for two years and could have written the exact same thing.

Jun 27, 2016
Pipemaster is good if you light with your right hand, and is piezoelectric ignition, which are the main reasons why I stayed away from it. The Old Boys, Accords, and Magies are better for left-hand lighting, and use a flint, which I prefer. Ironic that my Accord flint sometimes jams. I just read "on the internet" that all IMCs have brass fuel tanks, and I know that the Old Boys all do, but I have not checked my Accord. It's heavy enough to have one, but I don't know, I thought I read a while ago that the Accords did originally, but switched to plastic at some point, but I may be confusing that with a different change within the lighter that I had read about. What style did you go with on the Pipemaster?

Status
Not open for further replies.