Cornell and Diehl - Your Opinion

(61 posts)
  • Started 5 months ago by milehighpiper
  • Latest reply from mechanic
  1. milehighpiper

milehighpiper

Login to Send PM

Hello,

I have exhausted myself trying to find the unobtainable blends and decided to focus on finding easily available blends. I zeroed in on Cornell and Diehl due to the availability and their vast choices. However, this has proven to be a difficult task because their vast choices consists of 300+ blends!!! This is a blessing in disguise because I simply can not make up my mind on what blends to get. At the end of March I want to order 10 C&D blends and would like some help choosing. I am a fan of almost everything, no cigar leaf blends for me. I am looking to get mostly English blends, a few aromatics and something new. I am curious as to your suggestions and I will post pictures of the order when it comes in.

Thanks!

Posted 5 months ago #
  2. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Black Frigate
    Star of the East
    Redburn
    Crooner
    Speakeasy Navy Blend
    Belmont Station
    Autumn Evening
    Orion's Arrow
    Oriental Silk
    Old Joe Krantz

I like coffee exceedingly.
    - H. P. Lovecraft
    Posted 5 months ago #
  3. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have enjoyed many a C&D blend, but I haven't ordered any in more than about 3 yrs. I find that the offerings by Daughters and Ryan will satisfy my cravings, at a fraction of the price of any other premium tobacco.
    My favorites were:
    Big 'n Burley
    5 O'clock Shadow
    Haven't tried to board the ship yet. Ya gotta keep one blend out of the "been there, done that' category, doncha?

Posted 5 months ago #
  4. acidpox

acidpox

Login to Send PM

Founding Fathers
    Exhausted Rooster
    Mad Fiddler Fake
    Dreams of Kadath

Those are my favs from them, I've tried 8 or 10 total. I think dreams of Kadath has Katerini, which I think I read is a cigar tobacco, I'm not sure, But its soooooo good.

Posted 5 months ago #
  5. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I'm not a big fan of C&D, but Yorktown is a favorite and it's available in bulk.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 5 months ago #
  6. gerryp

gerryp

Login to Send PM

I'm a big fan of Bayou Night. It's a Scottish-type blend with a s***-ton of perique added.

Posted 5 months ago #
  7. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not a huge C&D fan but there are several that I like and would recommend. Opening Night, Yorktown, Star of the East, Dreams of Kadath and Black Frigate.

Posted 5 months ago #
  8. cossackjack

cossackjack

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

C&D
    Bow-Legged Bear
    Star of the East Flake
    Redburn
    Mad Fiddler Flake
    Sunday Picnic
    Engine 99
    Pirate Kake
    Mountain Camp
    Montfort Point Marine

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
    Specialization is for insects!" - Robert Heinlein
    Posted 5 months ago #
  9. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Of those I've tried, I enjoy them. The Frigate (Black Frigate) is king.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 5 months ago #
  10. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I haven't had a bad blend yet. The three below are my go to smokes and are available in bulk
    haunted bookshop
    bayou morning
    bayou night

Posted 5 months ago #
  11. timt

timt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Haunted Bookshop
    Old Joe Krantz
    Bayou Night - one of only a few blends with latakia that I like.

All of three of these have plenty of punch for me and serve to balance out my Va/VaPer hoard. They've become a more common go-to because they're dry enough out of the tin and strong enough to load a quick small bowl when I want something satisfying - usually in the morning with coffee.

Tim
    Posted 5 months ago #
  12. aro222

aro222

Login to Send PM

I’m an aromatic smoker mostly so can only attest to those
    C&D has never let me down
    Autumn evening
    Mocha
    Mississippi mud
    Pirate cake
    Stove pipe
    Green river vanilla
    Just to name a few

Keep calm...smoke a pipe.
    Posted 5 months ago #
  13. pipehunter

pipehunter

Login to Send PM

Morley's Best is a good one. Also, I loved Heady Doctrine, but it was a small release and I don't know if any of their regular production blends are like it.

This week I'll probably order the Lovecraft-themed blends to try, just out of curiosity.

The company produces so many blends as the OP mentions. I find it hard to believe that people who have tried them widely aren't a fan of at least one of their products.

Posted 5 months ago #
  14. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

I find it hard to believe that people who have tried them widely aren't a fan of at least one of their products.

If I were still in the market, C&D would be the only company that's still around that I would be buying from.

Posted 5 months ago #
  15. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am not a HUGE fan of latakia, but I hear that C&D are very good with these types of blends. The only Balkan from them that I am familiar with is Star of the East, because we used to have a member here, Kashmir, that was a big fan. So, I picked up a few pounds of this one to try. It is has a unique sour taste that I enjoy a lot in the winter. The rest that I enjoy have a cigar component, that you said that you don't like.
    Some have mentioned some Virginia based blends. You didn't express an interest in them, but they are good also. I suggest giving their Virginias at least a year in the cellar to cool their heels, so to speak.

Michael
    Posted 5 months ago #
  16. haparnold

Hap

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm a huge fan of Three Friars, which is a Burley blend with Virginia and Perique.

For the English/English aromatic category, I really enjoy Epiphany and Old College. Epiphany fills the gap left behind by Dunhill's The Aperitif very well, even though it's not a match blend. Old College is the easiest burning tobacco I've ever smoked. It has good Latakia flavor, but the black cav makes this blend basically smoke itself.

As many have said, Black Frigate is an iconic blend. I may be the only person around here who's indifferent to it, but everyone should try it. I've never had a C&D aromatic, so I'll refrain from giving advice there.

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 5 months ago #
  17. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

As many have said, Black Frigate is an iconic blend.

That would be my fault.

Posted 5 months ago #
  18. haparnold

Hap

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You're an influencer! C&D should be cutting you a royalties check for every tin of BF sold

Posted 5 months ago #
  19. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Black Frigate is most certainly a must try. I still have yet to try Blockade Runner, which its base, but I'll get there. I can't really comment on many other blends, but Dreams of Kadath is pretty awesome. I have Yorktown and Haunted Bookshop on hand and both are pretty good. So as far as vouching for C&D at least, I'd say they do a really nice job. Also everything comes with the right amount of moisture for me to fill a bowl right from the bag the minute I open the box.

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." - George Washington

Posted 5 months ago #
  20. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

You're an influencer! C&D should be cutting you a royalties check for every tin of BF sold

During the Bijou mold incident of 2016, they replaced my affected tins with tins of Black Frigate without even having to ask. They know me well. I used to order pound bricks of BF directly from C&D prior to the Laudasi buyout so I've been a known lover of the stuff to them for a while. Now that I think of it, I think this year marks the 20th anniversary of my first tin of it.

Posted 5 months ago #
  21. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I used to order pound bricks of BF

I was so close to buying a brick of it a little while ago, but someone beat me to it. Pipestud had it in his stable of tobaccos for purchase.

Posted 5 months ago #
  22. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

They stopped producing the pound bricks of it when Laudasi bought the company, but back then you could get them for $28.

Posted 5 months ago #
  23. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The only C&D blends I have are Christmas blends, Corn Cob Pipe, Jolly Old St. Nicholas and Golden Days of Yore. I have 40-45 different blends in my rotation and unopened cellar, only three C&D...I need to start shopping.

Posted 5 months ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

greenmtnsmoke

Login to Send PM

I am a Va and Va/Per smoker and I keep trying new C&D blends in hopes that I find one that I will enjoy. I have almost given up even though I find opening night tolerable. The rest all taste like earth to me, even the very highly reviewed Carolina Red Flake. So many reviews say it tastes like Christmas Cheer ( one of my favorites ) but to me just dirt with virtually no sweetness. I cannot understand this because I like just about everything else put out by everyone else? Is there anyone else who has this same problem with C&D?

Posted 5 months ago #
  25. pianopuffer

pianopuffer

Login to Send PM

I can't say I'm a C&D fan either, my palate gravitates toward the European blenders much more.
    I do like Autumn Evening when I'm in the mood for a sweet aromatic smoke, but that's about it.

Posted 5 months ago #
  26. diamondback

diamondback

Login to Send PM

My personal C&D favs (in no particular order):

Orion’s Arrow
    Five O’Clock Shadow
    Pirate Kake
    Morley’s Best
    Haunted Bookshop
    Briar Fox
    Bayou Morning (the veritable Mike Tyson perique punch!)
    Star of the east (regular & Gold)

I’m still less than 2oz into Black Frigate so the jury is out, but it’s looking like it’ll make the cut.

“Well, I can’t cure death. This is bad, Morty. You’re trapped in a dead man. Listen, if the situation keeps darkening, do yourself a favor and pop by Pirates of the Pancreas. Obviously I’m biased, but I think it’s great, Morty. It’s a bunch of *belches* pirates running around a *belches* pancreas. We don’t whitewash it, either, Morty. I mean, the pirates are really rapey.” - Rick & Morty
    Posted 5 months ago #
  27. rigmedic1

rigmedic1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A lot of their blends made me nauseated, but after talking with them at The NOLA pipe show a few years back found that the blends I was having trouble with contained dark fired Kentucky, and they offered a few suggestions. My favorites now from C&D are Bijou, Yorktown, and the awesome Carolina Red Virginia. Pete’s Beard Blend under the Briarworks Label is a tasty Latakia blend too.

Posted 5 months ago #
  28. rmpeeps

rmpeeps

Login to Send PM

These I’ve found to be good:
    Oriental Silk - personal favorite
    Orient Express
    Bayou Night

Posted 5 months ago #
  29. diamondback

diamondback

Login to Send PM

Oops, forgot to mention Red Odessa.

Posted 5 months ago #
  30. User has not uploaded an avatar

jzbdano

Login to Send PM

Greenmtnsmoke:

I am a Va and Va/Per smoker and I keep trying new C&D blends in hopes that I find one that I will enjoy. I have almost given up even though I find opening night tolerable. The rest all taste like earth to me, even the very highly reviewed Carolina Red Flake. So many reviews say it tastes like Christmas Cheer ( one of my favorites ) but to me just dirt with virtually no sweetness. I cannot understand this because I like just about everything else put out by everyone else? Is there anyone else who has this same problem with C&D?

Eerily close to my experience with C&D. I have at least a dozen blends in jars that I'll pull a bowl from every once in a while. They are enjoyable but it's always one and done, back to the cupboard.

Posted 5 months ago #
  31. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

If you were used to smoking McClelland Virginias, or Rattray's, Sam Gawith, Germain's Virginias you're not likely to be satisfied with C&D. From what I've tried, their VA and VA/Pers are a bit flat and simple in comparison to the other makers I've just mentioned. Maybe their Virginias need longer in the tin or more aging before being used for blending. Maybe they need Mike McNeil to control their processing. Or maybe their way with Virginias isn't pleasing to some smokers like you and like me. We prefer something they're not doing. That's probably why C&D represents less than 1% of what I've cellared.

I do think that the Carolina Red Flake has some real promise down the road, assuming that it doesn't grow a beard in the tin. Christmas Cheer it isn't, nor does it need to be. I don't find Virginias to be their strength, as much as I love Yorktown. From what others tell me, C&D offers great burley blends, that that's where the real gold is. I'm not much of a burley smoker, so I can't comment.

Regardless, a lot of folks really like what C&D makes, and what else matters? So to each his/her own. Smoke what you like, like what you smoke.

Posted 5 months ago #
  32. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think this year marks the 20th anniversary of my first tin of it.
    They need to release a special edition 20th Anniversary Black Frigate/Cap'n Embers tin.

Posted 5 months ago #
  33. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

C&D is to burley blending what McClellands used to be to Virgnia leaf, in my book. I faced C&D's move to S.C. from N.C. with trepidation, but Jeremy and company there have maintained the blends and seemingly (to me) mellowed a few in a good way. Before and after the move, I haven't tried anything that wasn't at least interesting, and mostly they are good to excellent. It would be a long list of recommendations for me beginning with Old Joe Krantz original; Billy Budd; Big and Burley; Shropfordshire (!); Bayou Night; Black Frigate; Riverboat Gambler (one of the less-known blends); Tuggle Hall 965; and others. If you aren't much on burley, you probably aren't so much on C&D since that is their trademark leaf. If I recall, sable' is more of a Virginia smoker, so I wouldn't expect him to get much joy from C&D.

Posted 5 months ago #
  34. ericusrex

ericusrex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you're mostly into Lat blends you should consider GL Pease. Yes, made by C&D, so there shouldn't be supply issues. In general, I find C&D blends to be a little rough around the edges. I like this quality, but the GLP stuff is generally a bit more smooth and 'elegant.' My throat can no longer handle C&D's full-on burley blends. Of the 30 or so blends of theirs I've tried my favs are Epiphany, Pegasus, Star of the East, Redwood (technically, Two Friends), Night Train.

Posted 5 months ago #
  35. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Frigate
    Belmont Station
    Dreams of Kadath

I'd probably add Haunted Bookshop, but that one I just haven't gotten to cracking open yet.

That would be my fault. [:oops:]

This, yes.

Bill

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 5 months ago #
  36. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

They need to release a special edition 20th Anniversary Black Frigate/Cap'n Embers tin. [:mrgreen:]

Troo Trufe dat, yes.

B

Posted 5 months ago #
  37. onestrangeone

onestrangeone

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’m definitely a fan of their Burley blends and Opening Night works quite nicely for me, I haven’t tried many of the aro offerings other than a few of the holiday releases, when I’m in the mood for Latakia I will typically look toward GLP first.

Posted 5 months ago #
  38. josephcross

josephcross

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

These are blends that I smoke regularly. Though Black Frigate is not on my list its a good blend and you should heed the call of its crew.

Dreams of Kadath
    Mad Fiddler Flake
    Bluegrass
    Kajun Kake

GlPease:
    Jackknife Plug
    The Vanilla Cream
    Sixpence
    Fillmore

Posted 5 months ago #
  39. haparnold

Hap

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

C&D is to burley blending what McClellands used to be to Virginia leaf, in my book.

+1. I think burley is an undervalued varietal in the pipe world, and nobody does burley better than C&D.

Posted 5 months ago #
  40. 3rdguy

3rdguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

C&D is to burley blending what McClellands used to be to Virginia leaf, in my book.

C&D makes the Pease line so I am hopeful thay can come up with a solid virginia.

Posted 5 months ago #
  41. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would suggest to try some blends with cigar leaf, they are outstanding

Sorry I'm naming a bunch, but I smoke a lot of C&D blends, so the list below are what I smoke often;
    Mad Fiddler Flake
    Night Train
    Billy Budd
    Dreams of Kadath
    Bow Legged Bear
    Crooked Lane
    Five O'Clock Shadow
    Habana Daydream
    Seersucker
    Star of the East

Posted 5 months ago #
  42. milehighpiper

milehighpiper

Login to Send PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will look through here and see what the top recommended ones are. I will also look at G.L. Pease. The Virginia Cream sounds pretty awesome for an aromatic. I will keep you posted on what the final haul brings.

Posted 5 months ago #
  43. virginialover

virginialover

Login to Send PM

Pirate Kake, Kajun Kake, Briar Fox and Billy Budd impressed me the most so far. For me C&D tobaccos are a hit or a miss.

Posted 5 months ago #
  44. recluse

recluse

Login to Send PM

Pirate Kake

Posted 5 months ago #
  45. milehighpiper

milehighpiper

Login to Send PM

Thank you all for the suggestions! After 50+ blends suggested, here is the breakdown:

#1. Star of the East wins with six suggestions!
    ———————————————————
    These were all tied wirh 5 suggestions in the order they go there!
    #2. Black Frigate
    #3. Haunted Bookshop
    #4. Dreams of Kadath
    #5. Pirate Cake
    ———————————————————
    4 votes
    Bayou Night
    York town
    ———————————————————
    3 votes
    Mad Fiddler Flake
    Opening Night

I will let you know what I end up ordering.

Posted 5 months ago #
  46. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gee, the 2 i love and smoke exclusively at the moment weren't even mentioned: Red Odessa and Stratfordshire.

Posted 5 months ago #
  47. User has not uploaded an avatar

foursidedtriangle

Login to Send PM

I enjoy star of the east and pirate kake.

Posted 5 months ago #
  48. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

Gee, the 2 i love and smoke exclusively at the moment weren't even mentioned: Red Odessa and Stratfordshire.

Red Odessa did.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/cornell-and-diehl-your-opinion#post-1317963

Posted 5 months ago #
  49. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Like others, I was not a big fan of theirs when I first started smoking but over the years I’ve come to really appreciate a lot of their blends and I really think Jeremy Reeves is proving himself as a real good master blender. Some of his newer blends are just stellar. Some of my favorites are:

Old Joe Krantz
    Haunted Bookshop
    Billy Budd
    Star of the East Flake
    Engine 99
    Dreams of Kadath
    Bijou
    Mad Fiddler Flake
    Epiphany
    Big N Burley

Posted 5 months ago #
  50. diamondback

diamondback

Login to Send PM

I put a vote in for Red Odessa (above). I didn’t like it at first but it grew on me. The Turkish & Va proportions are deliciously balanced! An oddity that I still experience with it is that it wants to go out on me, so I have to keep a slightly faster cadence with it. But I love it. I also like Stratfordshire, but would choose RO if I had to pick between the two.

Posted 5 months ago #
  51. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

I put a vote in for Red Odessa (above). I didn’t like it at first but it grew on me.

I've got some that I purchased back in 2008. The Latakia has mellowed, and the Virginias have sweetened considerably. Very good stuff.

Posted 5 months ago #
  52. diamondback

diamondback

Login to Send PM

Embers, do you find that it’s prone to go out easily? Maybe it’s the pound I bought a couple years ago. I don’t remember that behavior from my initial two ounce sample. Anyway, I need another pound of it... and Orion’s Arrow also...

Posted 5 months ago #
  53. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

Embers, do you find that it’s prone to go out easily?

I find it favors a light rubbing and a soft touch when packing. As long as its got room to burn without packing too tightly it'll burn to the bottom of the bowl with one or two relights.

Anyway, I need another pound of it... and Orion’s Arrow also...

And Oriental Silk.

Posted 5 months ago #
  54. diamondback

diamondback

Login to Send PM

Thanks Embers! I’ll try teasing it out a bit more before packing.

I’ll grab a tester of Oriental Silk now that you’ve recommended it. I’m an ounce or so in to the Frigate so I suppose I’m a lowly deck scrubber I’ll try to climb in rank by ordering more! I’m digging it.

Posted 5 months ago #
  55. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

I’ll grab a tester of Oriental Silk now that you’ve recommended it.

If you like Orion's Arrow, that's an excellent companion blend.

I’m an ounce in to the Frigate so I suppose I’m a lowly deck scrubber I’ll try to climb in rank by ordering more! I’m digging it.

Ha ha, yes! That one's been in my top five for twenty years and never lets me down.

Posted 5 months ago #
  56. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I recieved a C&D which I thought was an order from C&D, but in reality It was a C&D.

So I really can't discuss C&D.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 5 months ago #
  57. diamondback

diamondback

Login to Send PM

Can we flag a mod to get a C&D on the C&D puns?

lol j/k

Posted 5 months ago #
  58. shanez

shanez

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As much as I like Black Frigate, I would take Dreams of Kaddath first.

I think burley is an undervalued varietal in the pipe world, and nobody does burley better than C&D.

I see your cornbread and raise you cheesecake: Manil

Posted 5 months ago #
  59. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

I see your cornbread and raise you cheesecake: Manil

Yikes, that stuff is made to smoke?

Posted 5 months ago #
  60. sittingbear

sittingbear

Login to Send PM

The one that hasn't been mentioned yet that I recently tried and liked quite a bit is Manhattan Afternoon. It's a nice virginia flake with a honey topping that really comes through, but not in an aromatic kind of way. Subtle, sweet, and delicious!

Posted 5 months ago #
  61. mechanic

mechanic

Login to Send PM

Epiphany is the only one i liked outta the few blends ive tried but have only had like 8 or so of the hundreds

"I'm a kind person, I'm kind to everyone, but if you are unkind to me, then kindness is not what you will remember me for." - Al Capone
    Posted 5 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   redone, alexnc, jiminks, instymp, 3rdguy, shanez, mityahicks