PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 16, 2018
Hi all,
After a long Dunhill phase, I have recently become interested in Cornell and Diehl, and was wondering if I could call upon your collective experience in helping me chooe some new blends to try. So far the only ones I have tried are Star of the East Flake (love it) and Mississippi Mud (less so—a tad too “acrid” for me). Specifically some recommendations that might align with my tastes. As mentioned, I am a huge fan of SOTEF, and was most fond of Dunhill’s Nightcap, and De Luxe Navy Rolls. I am still on the fence about Virginia blends—just barely managed to gag down a tin of Royal Yacht, but perhaps I simply need to be steered in the right direction woh regards to this. I know C and D blends are numerous, so perhaps there is some hope for me out there for Virginia blends yet.
Many thanks!

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I don't think I'll be alone here, but:
Black Frigate

Blockade Runner

Black Frigate

Belmont Station

Black Frigate

Dreams of Kadath

and more Black Frigate
In all seriousness, all those are pretty delicious in my opinion.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
Don’t think of all Virginia’s as being like royal yacht. Try more Virginia’s
Yeah, Royal Yacht is it's own beast. I happen to like it, but it's not everyone's cup of tea.
C&D stuff that I have had and really like are:
English/Balkan style:

Star of the East (This is my favorite, I'm a huge Dunhill fan and 965 is my favorite tobacco)

GLP Westminster is like Dunhill London Mixture (C&D make GLP tobacco)

GLP Quiet Nights

Orient Express

Drucquer & Sons Blairgowrie (also C&D made)

GLP Chelsea Morning

Good Morning

GLP Gaslight
Virginia:

GLP Union Square

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
I’m not a Latakia fan. If you’re not too much on traditional Virginia. I’d try:
5 O’clock Shadow

Old Joe Krantz- Original

Briar Fox
All favorites of mine

Aug 16, 2018
I actually have a tin of pirate cake on the way! Seemed to be the most Latakia heavy of the lot. What are gaslight, quiet nights and ten Russians like?

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
I like Bijou and Red Odessa. Sunset Harbor Flake is one that I'd hate to live without.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Black Frigate

Blockade Runner

Orion's Arrow

Oriental Silk

Briar Fox

Crooner

Haunted Bookshop

Night Train

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
What are gaslight, quiet nights and ten Russians like?
I can say quiet nights is not all day smoke, it is sweet and sour and strong flavour so I need to be in the mood for it once or twice a week.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
What are gaslight, quiet nights and ten Russians like?
I've never had Ten Russians, but Gaslight and Quiet Nights are full flavored English/Balkan mixes. Think 965, London Mixture and Nightcap. They are not the same as those, but in that realm.
I can say quiet nights is not all day smoke, it is sweet and sour and strong flavour so I need to be in the mood for it once or twice a week.
Quiet Nights and Gaslight, although strong and full, they are all day smokes for me. I like them strong. So are Nightcap and 965.

jzbdano

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2016
I've only tried a dozen or so C&D blends, the only one I have bought again for the cellar is Opening Night. Virginias are what I smoke the most and this one is solid.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Burley is a special favorite of mine, whether in codger blends, in single leaf like Semois, as part of an English blend, a cigar leaf blend, or in other versions. I also like Virginias, Va/Per, Orientals, etc., but burley is just a special thing to me. So, Cornell-Diehl is the master of burley blending. A number of blenders do this with zest, but C&D is one ... perhaps the ... master in the use of burley. With C&D, I think of their use of burley in blends first.

slowroll

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 25, 2017
If you like SOTEF,

Engine 99

Byzantium (more oriental-ish)

Ten Russians (similar to Engine 99 but a little more complex)

Red Odessa

Outside of C&D, Arango Balkan Supreme is not be missed

Aug 16, 2018
Hey all,
Thanks for all the recommandations! I think after sorting through what’s been said, I will go for the following:

Gaslight

Quiet Nights

Ten Russians

Black Frigate

Engine 99

Byzantium
On an unrelated note, am I the only one here who is slightly underwhelmed by Dunhill’s Durbar? I was smoking some last night, and to me it seemed like a watered-down version of SOTEF, which is paradoxically more acrid and at the same time lacks the Oriental “zing” of SOTEF which I like so much. Furthermore, whereas SOTEF is savory and rich (kinda like the smoking a big pastrami on rye) I find Durbar not at all so. I know they are not supposed to be matches with each other, but any other opinions on this one?

Status
Not open for further replies.