PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
I smoke so much Cornell and Diehl and enjoy so many of their blends that honestly, at this point, they could probably stuff horse turds in a tin and I'd smoke it (For the record, I totally would not do that. But it sounded good.)
If you've smoked any number of Cornell and Diehl burley blends, you'll already have an idea what to expect with this. It comes in their signature coarse ribbon cut with some bits of broken flake thrown in with it. Mainly light brown and khaki with some sprinkling of yellow leaf, it comes quite dry, actually perfect for my taste, so I just loaded up and went.
The taste of this stuff is kind of like Haunted Bookshop and Night Train had a child together. It's got that strong burley throat hit, that kind of barnyard hay taste to it, but I'm thinking that there's a good bit of Virginia in here playing a supporting role because the back note is very sweet, not citrusy or grassy, but that overtone of baked bread and golden wheat sweetness. It's not as rough around the edges as Haunted Bookshop, but it's not as silky smooth as Night Train either. There is some Oriental leaf that almost gives it that sort of mustiness that Haunted Bookshop has. In all honesty, it almost tastes like they took Haunted Bookshop and replaced the Perique with Oriental. I could be full of it, but that's just my guess.
Like all Cornell and Diehl, it burns to a fine powder and needs very little relighting. The nicotine hit isn't as powerful as something like Old Joe Krantz or Safe Harbor Flake, but it definitely scratches that itch. I don't know if I like it well enough to buy it in volume, but it does make for a nice smoke on cold winter nights after a hearty meal. Burley fans are sure to love it.

rogers

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 9, 2012
Good stuff. I've been smoking LB almost daily since its release a couple years ago.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
C&D somewhat leads the pack with burley forward non-aromatic blends. They don't just do a few good ones. They tweak them with originality and complexity and shear surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.