• Started 1 year ago by deathmetal
  • Latest reply from saltedplug
  1. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

These look tasty:

Redburn

Beginning with healthy portions of white and dark Burley blended with red and bright Virginia leaf, C&D's Redburn then incorporates a touch of spicy dark fired Kentucky, topping it with the flavors of dark rum and molasses and pressing into an old fashioned crumble cake.

John Marr

A poetic mixture of bright and red Virginias with a good portion of Turkish leaf, elevated by genial portions of Perique and black Cavendish, and topped with the flavors of bourbon and vanilla, C&D's John Marr is an unparalleled voyage of sweet complexity.

Billy Budd Blonde

A blend of bright Virginia flake, white Burley, chopped cigar leaf, and a touch of Perique, Billy Budd Blonde is a sweet sequel to the original Billy Budd — offering much of the same piquant spice, only without the heavy dose of Latakia.

Billy Budd

One of C&D's most popular mixtures, Billy Budd is a true Latakia powerhouse, combining generous portions of the fragrant leaf with rough-cut Burley, bright Virginia flake, and a good amount of rough-cut cigar leaf. Originally created for C&D's late friend Sailorman Jack.

Perhaps these fit with the fascination for pipes in Melville, ably described in this article, including this relevant excerpt from Moby Dick:

What…made Stubb such an easygoing, unfearing man, so cheerily trudging off with the burden of life in a world full of grave peddlers, all bowed to the ground with their packs; what helped to bring about that almost impious good-humor of his; that thing must have been his pipe. For, like his nose, his short, black little pipe was one of the regular features of his face. You would almost as soon have expected him to turn out of his bunk without his nose as without his pipe.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. thomasw

thomasw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That Billy Budd Blonde sounds fantastic. One I'd like to try is Redburn; but I am unclear how the topping works with the tobaccos ... has anyone smoked it yet?

After some time he felt for his pipe. It was not broken, and that was something. Then he felt for his pouch, and there was some tobacco in it, and that was something more. Then he felt for matches and he could not find any at all, and that shattered his hopes completely.

The Hobbit
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. brightleaf

brightleaf

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's for pointing these out. The article to go along with it made it even better.

POSSIBLY, contentment is not only the chief element of life, but also one of the very foundations of society. If this be so, then as Tobacco is the enemy of malice, friend of virtue, and a direct cause for content, its use should be encouraged. -J.W. Cundall 1901
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’m still enjoying exploring their Judaica blends, but I will get to these soon. Billy Budd Blonde and John Matt sounds interesting.

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. lazar

lazar

Login to Send PM

No Bartleby?

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. thesillyoldbear

thesillyoldbear

Login to Send PM

No Bartleby?

Easily one of his better works, but it didn't really go with whole "...At Sea" thing, so no :/

Marketing Manager, Smokingpipes Europe
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. midwestpipesmoker70

midwestpipesmoker70

Login to Send PM

Billy Budd Blonde sounds the most interesting to me. I am hoping to get a bunch of good samples from the Chicago Pipe Show this year.

Nate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I picked up a tin of RedBurn with a stash of McClelland blends last night. With the McClelland Closing, I had to chase off the urge to wipe Smokingpipes out of their Bayou Night.

3 tins of Balkan Blue
    3 tins of Katerni Classic
    3 tins of Drama Reserve
    1 of Reburn and 1 of Bayou Night, then I tapped out.

Smokingpipes.com got off easy this time, but I'm coming back for more of that Bayou Night.

I think Redburn is going to be an instant classic. Jeremy knows how to work some magic with molasses.

It's not my position nor want to help another man. It's his responsibility to help himself, as where he can learn to dig down deep enough to save himself. -I. Kidd
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. steamboat

steamboat

Login to Send PM

My Redburn is coming in the morning. I am crossing my fingers that it is going to be a combo of Black Frigate and Orlik Dark Strong. I also ordered a tin of the John Marr, and Dreams of Kadath in which i still haven't tried yet.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. steamboat

steamboat

Login to Send PM

Oh I forgot to ask. I am confused on these series tobacco lines. Are these small batch blends with numbered tins like Sansepolcro. Are they limited run tins? On the picture it says mixed in small batches.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No, these are not limited release. It's an advertisement to say that C&D is a "Small Batch" company.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. smittyd

smittyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Redburn sounds awesome ...tins on the way ha ha ha

Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The original Billy Budd represents artistry in the use of cigar leaf in a pipe blend, not a cigar experience at all, but an appealing pipe tobacco. I haven't tried it yet, but I would think the Billy Budd Blonde would be tasty. 'Just ordered some bulk C&D, Tuggle Hall and Bayou Night (to try again after some years), along with some Sutliff Lord Nelson.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mso, Bayou Night has become one of my favorites. I smoke it in a 5Star McArthur. I love Latakia in small doses, because it seems to add a spice instead of that looming smokiness.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. steamboat

steamboat

Login to Send PM

I am having my second bowl of John Marr and loving it, but i think i know why. This blend seems to taste and smell from tin exactly like Haunted Bookshop. The only difference to my pallet is H.B. has more pepper in taste. I do not get any of the vanilla/burbon at all in the smoke or tin note. This to me is straight burley. Anybody else have any comments on this blend?

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just ordered up a few tins of Billy Budd Blonde , excited to try them out

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. samw74

samw74

Login to Send PM

I received a tin of Billy Bud Blonde today. It was tinned about a week ago. I'm going to wait until this summer to open it up. I'm curious to hear how it is.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cosmic what you say about writing a review of your favorite Judaica blend? I've always been intrigued by them.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   willyspiper, mawp, tobefrank, ben88, cossackjack, pappymac, pipestud