PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

barry108

Lurker
Jun 19, 2013
Kansas
Just tried a few bowls of C&D Byzantium (bulk) and thought I'd pass along an opinion or two on it:
Pouch Aroma: Strong full-flavor English blend aroma, lots of Latakia it would seem.
Room Note: Rich, woodsy smoke smell, but not entirely unpleasant. Probably not for the pipe-averse.
Pouch Moisture: A little on the drier side of most, but this is a C&D trait.
First Third: What you expect in an English tobacco blend. Rich and a little spicy from what looks like Perique chunks. A hint of things to come.
Middle Third: Flavor develops well, Spicy and smoky. Full-flavor tobacco with subtle woods and floral notes. A little cigar-like, without the cigar stench.
Bottom Third: Easily smokes to the last bit to a fine ash with little or no dottle left. Flavors get a little more intense here, but not unpleasant.
Bite: Some, but I tend to smoke a little fast and hot. Left to dry for a half-hour or so might clear this up entirely.
Vitamin N: Moderate. Almost a little much for me, but I smoke mostly, but not exclusively aromatics, so YMMV.
Overall, I'd recommend this to a fan of English blends. Lots of flavor and not too much nicotine.
8 out of 10

barry108

Lurker
Jun 19, 2013
Kansas
That could be entirely subjective on my part; I quit smoking everything for about fifteen years and have just picked my pipes up again a few weeks ago. What's "moderate" to me might be next to nothing to a more seasoned smoker.
And thanks! Nice to be here in such a fine community. :D

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Welcome, Barry, and thanks for the review. Byzantium is another C&D blend I intend to order. I really like their stuff as they seem to always take an interesting turn with their blends.

Keep the notes coming.

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
Welcome Barry, and thanks for the review. I have had this one one my list to try, now I will have to give it go.

jmagen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2016
My 2oz of bulk arrived wet as a scuba suit. Waiting for my patience to add up so I can dry enough for a bowl.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Have smoked it and liked it. But prefer C&D's Odessa which seems to be Byzantium with burley. The burley gives it an earthier, fuller taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.