Cornell & Diehl - "The Beast" (Small Batch)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Summary: a rich Perique blend without becoming off-putting, "The Beast" enwraps Perique in a sweet, spicy and smoky background.
The "rum soaked Perique" of Aleister Crowley is unfit for regular smoking, but this blend adapts it with sweet and smoky flavors to create a final taste that blends the different ingredients together like a chord. An initial light gives rise to the rum and Perique, but this quickly fades into the background as the vinegar-sweet Red Virginia Cavendish and molasses-y Black Cavendish meld with the smoky Dark Fired Kentucky Burley, which gives off a woodsy and meaty flavor. The result tastes at first like a barbecue, but then takes on a flavor all of its own in which the Perique becomes more sweet 'n' sour spicy than fruity, and the dark fired absorbs the other blends as dimensions of its own flavor. The result both keeps the power of Crowley's blend -- I smoke straight rum-soaked Perique on occasion and enjoy it, but it is not an everyday lunt -- and gives it the context to shine as a full blend. The result has all of the intensity that Perique can provided without going overboard on Nicotine or allowing the Perique to crowd out other flavors, instead giving us a smoky sweetness with a spicy core that makes the perfect nocturnal smoke.
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/10497#review86825
I found this to be a strong smoke that I could enjoy all day, but I can see how it might be best reserved for later in the day for many.
The wisdom of the blenders comes through in how little the top flavor obstructs the natural flavor of tobacco underneath, and how well these different leaf types meld together into a single flavor that is all their own. Some will taste notes of ketchup, leather and perhaps a hint of a fine stout beer; others will note the smoky tempest of the dark leaf alone. But really, these are fragmentary descriptions. The whole comes together into a mulled, smoky flavor with the fruity/peppery flavor of the Perique channeled into a sweet and spicy mixture. It burns evenly, down to fine grey ash, and while it pops out of the tin relatively moist, requires little if any drying. I left these samples in the pipe for only a few minutes before setting them gratefully ablaze.
Now, a bit of warning. This is a Crowley-inspired blend, and it probably is not for the newly-minted pipesmoker or those who look for the word “mild” on the shelves of their local brick & mortar tobacconist. In intensity of Nicotine strength, The Beast is probably medium to strong or slightly stronger, with the mysterious effect of the Perique which brings out additional dimensions to the Nicotine effect. You may find yourself making goat horns on the side of your head with your fingers, or perhaps chanting in mixed Hebrew and Enochian toward the stars… it is not a knock-yourself-flat blend, but this leaf has a potency that will satisfy even the most hard-driven pipe smokers while not damaging the rest.
http://www.deathmetal.org/lifestyle/cornell-diehl-small-batch-the-beast-2016/
I am impressed with this blend. It's strong but flavorful all the way through. The mix of leaf carefully conditions Perique into a more complex but internally complementary flavor, making it even more enjoyable.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
It's apparently going to be available on April 29th on the SmokingPipes.com website. I plan to get a couple tins if I can.... at least.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
Tell the truth deathmetal, how many tins will you be trying to buy?

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Update:
I try every new tobacco blend with a mix using Five Brothers to see how stable it is.
The Beast is amazing with Five Brothers. Like a fist of vengeance and justice against the face, yet in such an atmosphere of ineffable beauty that it is not resented...
This tobacco is better than first appears. It tames the Perique beast without neutering it.
I think many of you will enjoy this and in fact crave it...

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
If your Beast is leaking...
This is a great tobacco and I'm happy to see it sell out across the internet. Due to postal follies, I was not around when the SPC sale hit, but luckily I was able to sample it. I hope they make it a regular "small batch."

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I think this one set a new record for "selling out quickly." It's great to see. It suggests good health for the pipe community...

Being a numbered LTD edition release, it would screw over all of us that bought these with the knowledge that only 777 tins were released. Ethics to the buyers and all of that. If they were going to release more, they shouldn't have numbered them. But, some of us sat hitting refresh on our screens till they released them to get this opportunity. In all honesty, I doubt you're missing much. It's just tobacco.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
That's what I think too. It might be good... It might be REALLY good. But in the end, it will be just another good blend.
Until it's in pipestuds in 5 years going for 60.00 a pop.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I'm smoking Rumper right now. You can try to cash in on To Mega Therion's favorite smoke with additives galore, but The Rumper is the one and only. I guess we need to try and track down the rum that was used on Crowley's perique. Deathmetal and I (speaking for myself) can attempt but in reality that may be a lost cause. Dark Rum maybe the best choice.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I imagine he picked up whatever was easily available and strong. He seems like he was a maniac. Those are the people who make history. Hail to the maniacs! And to the maniacs who blended The Beast...

Status
Not open for further replies.