PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
I don't recall ever seeing these before the link showed up here, but apparently (after looking on tobaccoreviews) they've been around for some time. I certainly don't recall hearing about these blends on the forum either. Does anybody have any thoughts on these blends? Have you tried them, and how did you like them?

csharp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2015
You have to be a little bit of a gray beard to remember these blends. They were created by William Serad. http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/radio-talk-show/the-pipes-magazine-radio-show-episode-179/#more-9755
I remember when they were first introduced there was some fanfare but as time went by they became less talked about but no less appreciated by some. I told William that I thought they had become cult blends, under the radar sort of thing with some devoted fans but he made some jest about not wanting to lead a cult.
I am going to say that these blends almost were extinct. I think there might have been a tobacco sourcing issue plus other blends were getting attention. This just my thought but I think C&D is also mining there portfolio to but some of the old blends back out there before FDA issues hit hard.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know the blends, but I think that some blends are greeted with excitement and considerable loyalty but then just get shouldered over, unless there is a campaign to keep them noticed. It's good when some of the bygone examples are revived, when they are especially good. I think C&D is a good source -- creative, knowledgable and saavy. Good for them. I have many tins waiting in the wings, but I'd certainly try one of these when I get around to ordering. In fact, I just re-ordered some of their well-liked Old Joe Krantz after a hiatus, smoking many other blends. Their way with burley is remarkable.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I've had the opportunity to get to know William through our meetings at the Christopher Morley Pipe Club in Philadelphia. He's a great guy...accomplished musician, tobacco blender and mathematician. Also just a wonderful person to talk with, very easy to find several hours have passed since you both sat down to chat about oriental leaf and you find yourselves now on Russian history. Just one of those people that you feel fortunate to know.
Either way, William tells me that he was unaware of the reissue of the Serenity Series.

Jan 8, 2013
(we both just got outted as scifi nerds)
:rofl:
detail-111111.jpg

I'm thinking about adding Repose to my next order.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Can't believe I'm surrounded by gorram scifi nerds. What have these worlds come to?

Status
Not open for further replies.