PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I obtained some Exhausted Rooster from trading with scrooge and I find it a very pleasing. I seem to return to it fairly often as I look over the possibilities. A nice sweet blend to me. Now I must say that the portion he sent me in our trade was from 2011.
I'm going to have to buy some of this. Ive not heard it discussed much on the forum here. Interested in comments.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I had a sample of this a few years ago and liked it. I bought an 8 oz tin and then haven't opened it. Thank you for reminding me of this.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I had some ER a year or so ago, and while not bad, I think I prefer some DFK in my VaPers. 5 O'clock Shadow, or Triple Play is my wheelhouse.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Hawke:
The only thing I like about this blend is the name.
Exhausted Rooster. It makes me smile every time I see it.
I'm not a burley guy. And I'm certainly no fan of Virginias. (Perique, however, is always good judiciously mixed with Latakia. Thank you, God.)
But, Exhausted Rooster? Webster's should have a picture of an ER tin next to Whimsey or Whimsy in their dictionary.
Fnord

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I keep on Forgetting to order this guy, Cool Name , gets great reviews. Placed an order two days in a row, Idiot!
What topping can you detect on ER? I've heard that it is topped, may not be.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I sensed the Virginia sweetness in the aged portion I'm smoking. When any blend has Virginia in it and aged I think the VA steps forward. Even in some 1 year old McClelland 2020, it tasted much sweeter and the latakia took a backseat. To me anyway.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
The name itself is worth putting in the Hall of Fame. The Burley comes through strongest with a peek every now and then from the Virginia and Perique. It smokes slower than I thought it would, even after further rubbing the broken flake.
VA/Per fans may wonder if this one qualifies due to the Burley. It is... well, different (in a really good way).
Finally, if strength worries you then avoid Exhausted Rooster. This one sticks out its chest and fires off a stout "cock-a-doodle-do" as it is being consumed.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm with derfargin on the Triple Play. I don't have any because it doesn't last long with me. But it floats to the top of my list.

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
I think I prefer some DFK in my VaPers. 5 O'clock Shadow, or Triple Play is my wheelhouse.

@derfargin: I did not realize that 5 O'Clock Shadow had DFK. How does the strength compare to Triple Play (or my current DFK/perique powerhouse, Riverboat Gambler, if you've tried it)?

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
This one has always been on the "to try" list, but I never seem to get around to ordering it.
I'm back in that stage where I'm just enjoying the blends that I like and not diddling with sampling as much.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
@derfargin: I did not realize that 5 O'Clock Shadow had DFK. How does the strength compare to Triple Play (or my current DFK/perique powerhouse, Riverboat Gambler, if you've tried it)?
@dublinesque

I would say that 5 O'Clock Shadow might be a tad bit lighter than Triple Play, but not by much. Both are great smokes in my opinion.
I haven't tried "Riverboat Gambler" but I'll be putting a tin in on my next order. Thanks for the heads up.

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
In a similar vein, but with some turkish added, check our C&D's Riverboat Gambler.

I haven't tried "Riverboat Gambler" but I'll be putting a tin in on my next order. Thanks for the heads up.

Just discovered this one recently and it's the one I will be talking about to anyone who'll listen. Anyone who likes Ol' Joe Krantz and the like owes it to themselves to give it a try. Hope you enjoy it!
I'll be including a tin of 5 O'Clock Shadow in my next order. If it's close to Triple Play in strength, that's a very good thing in my book. Thanks for the heads up on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.