Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

25 tin limit per day

Posted 8 months ago #
  3. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Only 25 tins a day??!! How will the Scalpers of America ever thrive in this climate of over regulation!!

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 8 months ago #
  4. folanator

folanator

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Trigger pulled...

Posted 8 months ago #
  5. stbruno70

stbruno70

Login to Send PM

Me too.

Mason,Vice President
    Golden Gate Pipe Club
    Posted 8 months ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

spugni

Login to Send PM

Got mine too!

Posted 8 months ago #
  7. ricebiscuit

ricebiscuit

Login to Send PM

Got mine!

Posted 8 months ago #
  8. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Let us Know when the Beast is back! Great Small Batch when aged!

It's not my position nor want to help another man. It's his responsibility to help himself, as where he can learn to dig down deep enough to save himself. -I. Kidd
    Posted 8 months ago #
  9. midwestpipesmoker70

midwestpipesmoker70

Login to Send PM

I went with tobaccopipes...dang it 11 bucks a tin there. Oh well.

Nate
    Posted 8 months ago #
  10. folanator

folanator

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Considering the past issues, jarred or leave in the can?

Posted 8 months ago #
  11. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Considering the past issues, jarred or leave in the can?

Was the mold previously caused by leaky tins or mold spores being introduced during processing? I'm guessing the latter. And if true, jarred isn't going to matter.

Posted 8 months ago #
  12. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would be inclined to trust that it is fine in the tin. Sykes said that he addressed the issue, if I recall correctly.

Posted 8 months ago #
  13. zitotczito

zitotczito

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well I got mine.

Posted 8 months ago #
  14. folanator

folanator

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Was the mold previously caused by leaky tins or mold spores being introduced during processing? I'm guessing the latter. And if true, jarred isn't going to matter.

I'd rather be able to see, as opposed to wondering if the leaf is holding up. Probably will jar half, and keep the other in tins.

Posted 8 months ago #
  15. retreadpipeapprentice

retreadpipeapprentice

Login to Send PM

I knew I should not have come here.....tin on the way!

Posted 8 months ago #
  16. d4k23

d4k23

Login to Send PM

I paid a small upcharge as well, but think in one year when it's gone the going rate will be 2-3x if it's as good as we think it'll be.

But with enough to get around, I'm hoping whoever wants it can get it. I'll be cracking a tin soon to find out how good it is!

Posted 8 months ago #
  17. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd rather be able to see, as opposed to wondering if the leaf is holding up. Probably will jar half, and keep the other in tins.

I opened the first tin I received this morning. It is reasonably dry and no mold.

Posted 8 months ago #
  18. delkhouri

delkhouri

Login to Send PM

How many tins did you all order.... the 25 or a lesser amount?

"I believe that many who find that 'nothing happens' when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand"
    ~ C.S. Lewis
    Posted 8 months ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

jzbdano

Login to Send PM

I cracked my tin last night. It is a good Red Va maybe the best available today. Hard to judge a blend after 1 bowl, it was young and had some rough edges but also had some real nice flavors. I think this blend will improve a lot in in a year or 2. This run was from a 2015 crop so it is still very fresh for a Va flake.

Posted 8 months ago #
  20. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How many tins did you all order.... the 25 or a lesser amount?

I have acquired 33 tins. I think that should be enough.

I cracked my tin last night. It is a good Red Va maybe the best available today

I did the same. I thought it was just a bit bland for a Red Va flake, especially when compared to McCranies Red Va Flake. However, that's not fair as most tobacco seems to change a fair amount after having been opened anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks. Also, it was very good and IMHO, well worth the $10 price per tin.

Posted 8 months ago #
  21. folanator

folanator

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

10 for me. I try and leave a little for the rest of the people.

I may add a few more in a few weeks if I like it (esp. if there's some when the SG arrives).

Posted 8 months ago #
  22. philobeddoe

Philo Beddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gone.

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 8 months ago #
  23. zitotczito

zitotczito

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good thing that I got my 10 tins but I am sure more will be coming.

Posted 8 months ago #
  24. timt

timt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

At a 25 tin limit, I'm a little surprised it went so fast. All right fess up, how many of you have multiple accounts going at SP?

Tim
    Posted 8 months ago #
  25. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Think about it though. 8000 divided by 25 is 320. So only 320 Customers have to buy the limit to buy it out. Obviously, not everybody buys the limit. But if 800 Customers buy 10, it's gone. That's not much when you consider the big picture. And I'm sure there are people with multiple accounts who buy it to resell on fleaBay. How hard would it be to get your wife and brother to sign up and buy 25 tins?

Posted 8 months ago #
  26. timt

timt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I suppose you're right and I imagine our "little" community is bigger than I had assumed.

Posted 8 months ago #
  27. User has not uploaded an avatar

ekert

Login to Send PM

Your calculations are based on Smokingpipes having the full allocation of 8000 tins. Of the full run of 8000 it's my understanding that 6000 are slated for the US market. I've read that 4nogggins, tobaccopipes, and country squire have these in stock and there may be more vendors out there. Assuming half the US allocation went to smokingpipes, that's only 120 orders of people ordering the max allowed which really isn't that much.

Posted 8 months ago #
  28. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

timt, it's not just our little community here. There's a big world of pipe smokers out there (well, not that big really) that have never heard of pipesmagazine and don't really care about discussing pipe smoking on the internet. They just buy pipes and tobacco and smoke. Also, there are multiple other pipe smoking forum, similar to this one, that are talking about buying C&D Carolina Red VA Flake just like we are. And many more than people think that just lurk and never post. When you consider all that, kind of amazing they didn't sell out in less than 2 hours.

Posted 8 months ago #
  29. timt

timt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

it's not just our little community here. There's a big world of pipe smokers out there (well, not that big really) that have never heard of pipesmagazine and don't really care about discussing pipe smoking on the internet.

What!!? Well, ok I'll accept that as a possibility. Seriously though, I didn't think SP would set a limit that high (25) if they thought it would sell out that fast. I could be wrong - it's happened before.

Posted 8 months ago #
  30. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you consider it from their point of the view, the most profitable thing possible would be to sell all 8,000 to one Customer. I admit I was a bit surprised to see it set that high but with 8,000 tins, I would have been surprised to see it set at 5 for example. That would be 1,600 packages they'd have to ship out in a couple of days. Given they pre announced when it would be available, if someone didn't get some, they have nobody but themselves to blame.

Posted 8 months ago #
  31. civilwar

civilwar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

All sold out at smokingpipes.com and at tobaccopipes.com. That didn't take very long.

Posted 8 months ago #
  32. swilford

swilford

Login to Send PM

If you consider it from their point of the view, the most profitable thing possible would be to sell all 8,000 to one Customer. I admit I was a bit surprised to see it set that high but with 8,000 tins, I would have been surprised to see it set at 5 for example. That would be 1,600 packages they'd have to ship out in a couple of days. Given they pre announced when it would be available, if someone didn't get some, they have nobody but themselves to blame.

Mostly in setting the limits we're trying to balance getting it to as many people as want it against inconveniencing people unnecessarily. At a limit of 25, moving it down a bit doesn't really make that much difference: very few people are buying that much (so, say, moving the limit from 25 to 20 would have only freed up about 100 tins). The limit just exists to keep people from buying truly huge chunks, which would screw up availability for others.

Different per order limits serve very different purposes, both in obvious ways--capping out big orders--and in non-obvious ways based on how the order counts are distributed. So, for example, on Penzance at limit 1 or 2, that is lower than what the average person would buy given no restrictions, but a limit of anything over about 8 is well above median and mean count per order. In the first case, it changes almost all behavior. In the second, it just serves to eliminate statistical outliers which can nonetheless affect things because they can be so big.

Just for fun on CRF yesterday:

Mean CRF tins/customer: 5.32
    Median CRF tins/customer: 3
    Mode CRF tins/customer: 2

(Other popular quantities (50+ orders per), in descending order of frequency: 1,3,10,4)

And for anyone actually trying to work the math backwards, Smokingpipes had a big chunk, but that 8,000 number for the run was global. 6,000 for the US market; 2,000 for other markets. Smokingpipes was just a part of that 6,000 (so, no, we didn't have 1,500 orders with CRF yesterday at Smokingpipes).

Oh, and for the record, everything received before about 4:30pm yesterday shipped same day...it was a busy day in the warehouse, but we knew in advance that it would be, so it wasn't hard to organize and schedule around it.

Sykes

Posted 8 months ago #
  33. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Interesting data and makes perfect sense Sykes. Thank you.

Posted 8 months ago #
  34. civilwar

civilwar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sykes, thanks for the info/transparency, its an interesting peak behind the scenes. I initially would have thought that the mean/median of the orders of CRF would have been larger. Good to know. Thanks!

Posted 8 months ago #
  35. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The limit just exists to keep people from buying truly huge chunks, which would screw up availability for others.

I'm sorry...

Michael
    Posted 8 months ago #
  36. zitotczito

zitotczito

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well it now looks like I bought to much.

Posted 8 months ago #
  37. swilford

swilford

Login to Send PM

Sykes, thanks for the info/transparency, its an interesting peak behind the scenes. I initially would have thought that the mean/median of the orders of CRF would have been larger. Good to know. Thanks!

Before I started looking at this sort of data--which is only in the past couple of years because these sorts of events are much more frequent than they once were--I made the same assumption you did. Probably because I assumed more people bought tobacco in sort of the same ways I do (which is more akin to what a lot of people in this forum do).

For all the data analysis we do at Laudisi, the biggest takeaway is always that different people do this pipe and tobacco thing differently. There's huge divergence in people's approach to the hobby. I think that's kinda cool. Of course there are other patterns (we wouldn't bother otherwise), but we always try to temper our decision making from that data with the understanding that averages hide a whole lot of variance.

I'm going to stop now before I start sounding like the Nate Silver of pipes...

Sykes

Posted 8 months ago #
  38. craiginthecorn

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It’s interesting how the psychology of purchasing is affected by limited availability, which in the case of pipe tobacco, is further complicated by the FDA deeming rules which could conceivably make this the final release of this blend. Absent those factors, I would have bought a tin locally or ordered one tin with my next smokingpipes.com order. If I had liked it, would have added a couple more tins to my next order to put in my cellar for aging. However, with the limited release and FDA issues in play, I hedged my bet, gambling that I will really like it. So, I ordered five tins — the median. Of course, being halfway to free shipping, it doesn’t really make sense to pay $10 for shipping, so I added some other tins to push the total over $95. And that’s why my cellar overfloweth.

The questions that I keep asking myself are, “What will happen to pipe tobacco sales after the FDA deeming rules actually go into effect and the post 2007 tobacco blends are gone? How will that change the psychology of tobacco purchases?”

Posted 8 months ago #
  39. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

“What will happen to pipe tobacco sales after the FDA deeming rules actually go into effect and the post 2007 tobacco blends are gone? How will that change the psychology of tobacco purchases?”

There will be a number of people that come on and post "What happened to [fill in the blank] blend?" having not paid any attention to the warning for 5 years or longer. Others will bitch about it. A lot will have purchased and stored more than they'll ever need. And then there will be even more fleaBay sales at huge prices for blends no longer available.

Posted 8 months ago #
  40. exbenedict

exbenedict

Login to Send PM

well, this is the first time I have had this particular blend, so I only bought 4. Figured I'd crack a tin when it shows up, and if it doesn't fit my palate then three tins are easy to offload, and if I like it, cellar 3 up for a year or two.

Posted 8 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   pepesdad1, trouttimes, acidpox, ssjones, sasquatch, chasingembers, olkofri, ben88, oldgeezersmoker