PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubblehead33

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2012
Canada
i thought id do a quick review of this blend. dont know if any of you guys smoked this one before, couldnt find a thing about it in the search. first off, the note. its got a different smell to it, couldnt quite place my finger on it but not unpleasant (when it comes to really breaking down smells, im not the man for it, my nose doesnt work 100%). the tobacco itself is quite coarse, like a burley i guess. its dry out of the bag, so i usually just let it sit for a minute or two (not that patient!) it takes to a light well, one charring light then the true light and im ready. smokes very cool and leaves a fine white ash. as far as flavors and complexity, again im not the guy for that. with that said though, it is an enjoyable smoke and id recommend it to anyone who likes a simple, no fuss smoke. i dont know how great this review is but i hope i can at least give you an idea about this tobacco. Jeremy.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Thanks for posting-up on this much overlooked tobacco. I think it is primarily a blending variety, though there may be many

in the Mediterranean region who smoke this on its own. I've never had much luck using it as a blender, but it does add a

delightful musty/gamey quality to some stock mixtures. Keep on sharing your experiences with us -- it's edifying for everybody.
I notice that member Rothnh tends to mix Izmir with Virginias. Hopefully he'll see this post and give us some insight or a recipe.

bubblehead33

Mar 17, 2012
Canada
it is a blending tobacco is it? ok, i wasn't sure. i wouldnt call it an all day smoke but its good enough for now and then. thanks for the heads up cortez.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Izmir often goes by the more familiar Greek name, Smyrna. It is grown in the Aegean region of Turkey.

It used to be the principal Oriental used in cigarettes, but I don't know if that's still true.

You probably have an ample supply on hand already, and aren't likely to buy more any time soon;

but McClelland's Grand Oriental Series Smyrna No. 1 is an excellent blend for others to sample.

You might be surprised to discover that the leaves are only about 1 inch long, and one whole leaf

is included in each tin of McClelland's blend.

bubblehead33

Mar 17, 2012
Canada
thanks for the info cortez. i only order small ammounts at a time due to not wanting to get hit with a bunch of duty charges, but that may be worth looking into.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Roth,try P&C for the Peter Stokkebye's Turkish.I just got a pound from them...

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
C&D's blending Izmir is a very good blender, but it never even occurred to me to smoke it straight LOL!
Stokebye's Turkish is an AWESOME oriental blending tobacco. I didn't know it was Samsun, but I'm glad to know it as I've always wanted to experiment with Samsun (I read an old book on pipe tobacco that piqued my interest). It's complex, tangy, smoky, and very cool smoking.
One of my favorite blends of late is a mix of PS's Turkish with some unflavored black cavendish,.VAs (Full Virginia Flake and Opening Night) and latakia. It's complex and very easy on the palate.

bubblehead33

Mar 17, 2012
Canada
i didnt even know it was for blending until cortez mentioned it hoss haha. but as you say, it is very cool smoking. and roth, i may try blending it with the few tobaccos i have, may strike a winner!

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
I agree-- cavendish can be horrible or wonderful. This is some of Russ Oulette's stuff, and it's quite tasty. Does a great job adding a little sweetness and smoothness, plus I think it helps tie a blend together.

atboth

Might Stick Around
Dec 7, 2012
General notes on blending tobaccos:
Latakia: up to fifty percent (the so-called "Latakia Dump" range), generally between thirty to forty, and still marvelous at fifteen, or even ten. Often needs judicious paring with things like Turkish ('Izmir') and robust Virginias.

Turkish: thinnish on it's own, very musky / fragrant. More than 25% is somewhat excessive.

Virginia (flue-cured): various types - medium flake rubbed out can be the largest percentage (up to eighty or ninety percent, but well worthwhile at fifteen to thirty five), plain (unflavoured) virginia cavendish smooths out and almost erases strong elements but doesn't add much worthwhile (use between five and twenty five percent of total blend), red ribbon adds smokeability at up to fifteen percent, bright ribbon does the same but is harsher; both red and bright ribbon should be used at the lower end of the scale, probably no more than ten percent. Black virginia ribbon and plain black cavendish are sweet and deep, and help the Latakia work with Virginias. Usually single digits.

Toasted cavendish (actually fire-cured Kentucky): adds a marvelous note to Turkish, and combines well with Latakia. But it will easily take over at proportions greater than fifteen percent.

Perique: a chimera and a joker among the leaves. At two or three percent barely noticable, but tongue-bite reducing. Seven or eight percent adds quite a whoomp. Anything over ten percent grows hair inside your lungs.

Burley: if even one third of the blend is burley, it's a burley blend. Used to modify the taste of something else it is best below fifteen percent.
Try not to use more than six different tobaccos, four or five is best. Decide which one you want to dominate the blend and what other characteristics you want noticable, and adjust the proportions from there. Test batches should be small quantities, and expect that you may not finish smoking that batch. Smoke one bowl right after blending and make notes. Smoke more bowls after several days, and if it still tastes interesting, more bowls a few weeks later, when you can reasonably expect the tobaccos to have married. Sometimes what was marvelous at the very beginning becomes pedestrian after a few weeks.
Most blending tobaccos available to tobacco stores and amateurs are fairly standardized. The real interesting stuff is usually not available at retail levels.
Always keep notes.
Regards,
---Atboth

Status
Not open for further replies.